Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2024-2025: Celtic Pride

Re: NBA 2024-2025: Celtic Pride

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's the thing I don't get. Plenty of guys smaller than Sharpe play the 3. No reason he can't be like Jaylen Brown, being a 2 or 3 (or a 4 sometimes in Brown's case) as the situation. Sharpe's 6'6" with insane hops and a 7-foot wingspan. No reason he shouldn't be able to play as a nominal forward. There should be zero issue playing him alongside two guards.
    Jaylen Brown is the best player on the Celtics roster and has been for the last four years. He's a great Defender and highly intelligent. He's also not paired with a defensively-challenged Simons (now being the opposite in Jrue Holiday). While Sharpe could become a better Offensive player than Brown, especially at the "2", his ceiling is probably "average" Defender both in isolation and as a team defender, and "average" Rebounder. If the Blazers had Jrue Holiday instead of Simons, I'd have Sharpe at the "3", no problem. Still can't have Grant on the roster, though, because then both Wings would bring the team's total Defense down by a lot, even with Holiday. Anyway, here's a much better explanation of the Blazers' current situation regarding trading any players this Summer:

To duck the luxury tax, the Blazers need to shed at least $7.1M in salary if they keep the #7 and #14 picks. They would have 16 regular contracts (non-2-way), so they also need to reduce the roster by at least one player to get down to the 15 player maximum (they usually like to start seasons with 14 players, the minimum allowed).

The new CBA rules are NOW completely in effect for the first time (since the close of the regular season), and some of the changes are very important to what we can do to duck the tax.

a) The non-taxpayer MLE ($12.9M) can be used for trades. (We don't have to take back any player salary.)

b) Teams that end a trade below the 1st Apron can take back up to $7.5M more salary than they trade out when trading out $7.25M-$29M. They can take back 125% plus $250K when trading out more than $29M, or 200% plus $250K when trading out $7.25M or less.

c) Teams that end a trade above the 1st Apron can not take back more salary than they trade out. (i.e. we can't reduce our team salary in a 2-team trade with them, we'd need a 3rd team to receive at least one player they trade out since they have to trade out more than they receive)

d) Teams that end a trade above the 2nd Apron can not aggregate players in a trade. That makes it more difficult for us to take back multiple players and direct one or more to a 3rd team.

Our Obvious Options:

1) The easiest move would be to waive Banton to get from $7.1M to about $5M over the tax threshold, and down to 15 players. They can cut $2.2M if they waive him by June 29, or keep him all summer and still cut $2.0M if he's waived before the start of the season (Oct 14). I suspect they will do the latter in hopes that he could be traded for a 2nd round pick, or somehow part of a trade.

(Banton could also be waived prior to Jan 10 to cut $1.1M, but then he's taking one of the allowed 15 roster spots.)

My guess - Banton will be part of a trade or waived to get down to 14 or 15 players after using the other options to duck the tax.

2) Brogdon ($22.5M) seems almost certain to be traded. He is an expiring contract and the Blazers won't want to lose him for nothing as a UFA (unrestricted free agent) next summer. He is also taking minutes in a crowed backcourt of Scoot, Sharpe, Simons and possibly a new 1st round draft pick.

My guess - they would take (hope for) a lottery-protected 1st round pick and an expiring contract(s) for Brogdon.

3) Trade Thybulle ($11.0M, 2 years left on his contract) or Williams ($12.4M) into someone's $12.9M MLE. The Blazers wouldn't have to take back a player so that solves the tax and roster space problems.

My guess - they could find a team in mid/late July that still has their MLE and could use Thybulle. He has 2 years left on his contract, the last a player option. I doubt they could find a team to take on the often injured RW3, who has 2 years left on his contract.

4) Trading Simons ($25.9M), Grant($29.8M), or Ayton ($34.0M) taking back less salary are the other obvious options.

My 1st guess - None of Simons, Grant, or Ayton are traded this summer unless someone throws a great deal at the Blazers that involves players that Blazers want to keep for the rebuild. I do not believe any of them will be traded for nothing more than future picks and expiring contracts.

My 2nd guess - The most likely of the three, unlikely to be traded is Simons. If the Blazers draft another guard (such as Knecht) then the odds on trading Simons change and go way up.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Jaylen Brown is the best player on the Celtics roster and has been for the last four years. He's a great Defender and highly intelligent. He's also not paired with a defensively-challenged Simons (now being the opposite in Jrue Holiday). While Sharpe could become a better Offensive player than Brown, especially at the "2", his ceiling is probably "average" Defender both in isolation and as a team defender, and "average" Rebounder. If the Blazers had Jrue Holiday instead of Simons, I'd have Sharpe at the "3", no problem. Still can't have Grant on the roster, though, because then both Wings would bring the team's total Defense down by a lot, even with Holiday. Anyway, here's a much better explanation of the Blazers' current situation regarding trading any players this Summer:

To duck the luxury tax, the Blazers need to shed at least $7.1M in salary if they keep the #7 and #14 picks. They would have 16 regular contracts (non-2-way), so they also need to reduce the roster by at least one player to get down to the 15 player maximum (they usually like to start seasons with 14 players, the minimum allowed).

The new CBA rules are NOW completely in effect for the first time (since the close of the regular season), and some of the changes are very important to what we can do to duck the tax.

a) The non-taxpayer MLE ($12.9M) can be used for trades. (We don't have to take back any player salary.)

b) Teams that end a trade below the 1st Apron can take back up to $7.5M more salary than they trade out when trading out $7.25M-$29M. They can take back 125% plus $250K when trading out more than $29M, or 200% plus $250K when trading out $7.25M or less.

c) Teams that end a trade above the 1st Apron can not take back more salary than they trade out. (i.e. we can't reduce our team salary in a 2-team trade with them, we'd need a 3rd team to receive at least one player they trade out since they have to trade out more than they receive)

d) Teams that end a trade above the 2nd Apron can not aggregate players in a trade. That makes it more difficult for us to take back multiple players and direct one or more to a 3rd team.

Our Obvious Options:

1) The easiest move would be to waive Banton to get from $7.1M to about $5M over the tax threshold, and down to 15 players. They can cut $2.2M if they waive him by June 29, or keep him all summer and still cut $2.0M if he's waived before the start of the season (Oct 14). I suspect they will do the latter in hopes that he could be traded for a 2nd round pick, or somehow part of a trade.

(Banton could also be waived prior to Jan 10 to cut $1.1M, but then he's taking one of the allowed 15 roster spots.)

My guess - Banton will be part of a trade or waived to get down to 14 or 15 players after using the other options to duck the tax.

2) Brogdon ($22.5M) seems almost certain to be traded. He is an expiring contract and the Blazers won't want to lose him for nothing as a UFA (unrestricted free agent) next summer. He is also taking minutes in a crowed backcourt of Scoot, Sharpe, Simons and possibly a new 1st round draft pick.

My guess - they would take (hope for) a lottery-protected 1st round pick and an expiring contract(s) for Brogdon.

3) Trade Thybulle ($11.0M, 2 years left on his contract) or Williams ($12.4M) into someone's $12.9M MLE. The Blazers wouldn't have to take back a player so that solves the tax and roster space problems.

My guess - they could find a team in mid/late July that still has their MLE and could use Thybulle. He has 2 years left on his contract, the last a player option. I doubt they could find a team to take on the often injured RW3, who has 2 years left on his contract.

4) Trading Simons ($25.9M), Grant($29.8M), or Ayton ($34.0M) taking back less salary are the other obvious options.

My 1st guess - None of Simons, Grant, or Ayton are traded this summer unless someone throws a great deal at the Blazers that involves players that Blazers want to keep for the rebuild. I do not believe any of them will be traded for nothing more than future picks and expiring contracts.

My 2nd guess - The most likely of the three, unlikely to be traded is Simons. If the Blazers draft another guard (such as Knecht) then the odds on trading Simons change and go way up.
    Been hearing that Grant is being heavily shopped this summer all over Twitter/X...so you may get your wish. Not sure what kind of package he will bring though that contract is a bit of a determent to a lot of teams.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-23-2024),Revering4Blue (06-23-2024)

Malik Monk is staying with the Kings for 4/78 - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-year-78m-deal. Seems like good news for the Kings.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Been hearing that Grant is being heavily shopped this summer all over Twitter/X...so you may get your wish. Not sure what kind of package he will bring though that contract is a bit of a determent to a lot of teams.
    If we can get rid of Grant, I'd want to keep Simons and play Sharpe at the "3". With a "4" who can rebound well and defend well (and not cause Defenses to sag off of him from subpar 3-pt shooting) and, that would work as Sharpe and Simons would get most of the shots (and Ayton if he's still around). What they get with their 1st pick in this draft needs to be someone who will get the minutes that Grant would vacate, while the usage rate Grant has would be split between Sharpe and Ayton. Scoot and Simons already get all the usage rate they need.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-23-2024)

Interesting tidbit:

Olivier-Maxence Prosper has grown from 6 ft 7 to 6 ft 11 since he was drafted out of Marquette...

Unreal how young kids continue to grow like that...and yet I am shrinking
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-26-2024),M2 (06-24-2024)

I've never understood how Ownerships have allowed G.M.'s to fire Coaches a year or two after hiring them. In any organization, when a person at that level (the things a Coach is responsible for), failure isn't the result of a Coach's decisions, but is the result of the failure of the Coaching Search decision. That group needs to be changed because it's that group that failed (if it's even right to try to measure success/failure on a small sample size of one year or two years, which isn't enough unless it's atrociously obvious that the person is in over his/her head and time for learning/implement of style/decisions won't correct it soon enough).

In the case of Chauncey Billups, he wasn't Joe Cronin's hire, but was Neil Olshey's. Since Billups is still around, it's pretty clear that it wasn't necessarily Olshey's, but that Bert Kolde (paul allen's geeky childhood suck-up) was the responsible party. What a mess. It's remarkable that Joe Cronin has been able to accomplish anything regarding a rebuild handicapped as he is. Publicly, he follows Billups (but he did fire Billups' brother from the Coaching staff a month ago, while Scott Brooks resigned...can you blame him having to watch Billups for three years).

The Portland Trail Blazers are making changes to their coaching staff, according to ESPN insider Adrian Wojnarowski:

ESPN Sources: Nate Bjorkgren and Chris Fleming are joining Chauncey Billups’ coaching staff with the Trail Blazers, Bjorkgren has been a Raptors assistant and spent season as Pacers’ HC. Fleming had a prominent role under Billy Donovan with Bulls and stops with Nets, Nuggets.

Bjorkgren coached the Indiana Pacers from 2020-21, but he was fired after just one season. Now, he joins the Blazers as one of Billups’ top guys. Bjorkgren, who turned 49 last week, started out as a G League assistant in 2007 and made his way to the NBA with the Phoenix Suns in 2015.

Fleming, 50, has been with the Bulls since 2019, but now joins the Blazers. He coached the German national team from 2014-17 after coaching Brose Baskets from 2008-14 in the Bundesliga, where he won four German Cups and league titles.

This is interesting, though Brogdon is probably gone in 3 days...

"'Don’t shoot a midrange shot,'" Turner said of Bjorkgren's philosophy. "If you shoot a midrange shot, it was death. It would drive him insane. Malcolm Brogdon makes a living off mid-range floaters, mid-range pull-ups or whatnot. He’d have knock-down drag outs with him, saying, ‘Listen, I’ve got to use my midrange, this is my game.' Even personally, I made a career off pick-and-pop midrange in a sense."

Also, as Pacers' fans know... https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nate-bjorkgren He sounds like a real tool. Can't be good for the players or other staff members. Strange hire.

But, who in their right mind would come to Portland and work under Billups, Jody Allen and Bert Kolde?
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-24-2024 at 03:51 PM.

Knicks say to the Celtics, "Take your Pride and shove it!!!"

We got another Villanova Guard that balls, Mikal Bridges.

Hollinger dropped his final big board today. Very interesting stuff. Here's the first 10 tiers plus some other noteworthy guys he had super low:

Tier 1: "Best bets in a bad class"
    1. Holland
    2. Castle
    3. Clingan
    4. Sheppard

Tier 2: "Promising teenagers"
    5. Sarr
    6. Topic
    7. Buzelis
    8. Dillingham

Tier 3: "No-frills college vets"
    9. Flipowski
    10. Carter

Tier 4: "Talented but I have questions"
    11. Furphy
    12. Collier
    13. Risacher
    14. Knecht
    15. Williams
    16. Salaun
    17. Walter
    18. McCain

Tier 5: "Sleepers"
    19. Oso Ighodaro
    20. Trey Alexander

Tier 6: "One super sleeper"
    21. Jonathan Mogbo

Tier 7: "Quasi-sleepers"
    22. Bub Carrington
    23. Tyler Smith
    24. Pacome Dadiet

Tier 8: "Some centers"
    25. Zach Edey
    26. Kel'el Ware
    27. DaRon Hoknes II

Tier 9: "Final First Round Grades"
    28. Jaylon Tyson
    29. Justin Edwards
    30. Baylor Scheierman

Tier 10:
    31. KJ Simpson
    32. Adem Bona
    33. Ryan Dunn
    34. Yves Missi
    35. Harrison Ingram
    36. Tyler Kolek
    37. Kyshawn George
    38. Juan Nunez
    39. Jamal Shead

51. Tristan Da Silva (Tier 13: "I do not get it")

54. Ulrich Chomche (Tier 13: "I do not get it")
    55. Bobi Klintman (Tier 13: "I do not get it")

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Knicks say to the Celtics, "Take your Pride and shove it!!!"

We got another Villanova Guard that balls, Mikal Bridges.
    Nets decided he wasn’t a max contract franchise cornerstone. Kyrie, Harden and KD just destroyed that team, and they have pretty much nothing to show for trading them. A lot of draft picks to use in the upcoming years.
    Knicks continue to add talent at guard and wing positions. Will they hold on to Hartenstein and Anunoby?

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-26-2024),Revering4Blue (06-26-2024),Rojo Rijo (06-26-2024)

Honestly, somebody ought to conduct an inquest on how the PHILADELPHIA 76ers let the NEW YORK Knicks corner the market on Villanova's national champion guys.

17. Likes:

Chip R (06-26-2024),Kingspoint (06-26-2024),Puffy (06-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Honestly, somebody ought to conduct an inquest on how the PHILADELPHIA 76ers let the NEW YORK Knicks corner the market on Villanova's national champion guys.
    In the 50s and 60s, which was the 76ers best winning era, guards Paul Arizon and Wali Jones were from Philly, went to Villanova and won NBA CHIPs with Philly. They were the prototypes

19. Likes:

M2 (06-26-2024)

The Nova Knicks Voltron is complete!

21. Likes:

M2 (06-26-2024),Puffy (06-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Nets decided he wasn’t a max contract franchise cornerstone. Kyrie, Harden and KD just destroyed that team, and they have pretty much nothing to show for trading them. A lot of draft picks to use in the upcoming years.
    Knicks continue to add talent at guard and wing positions. Will they hold on to Hartenstein and Anunoby?
    NY papers seem to think that OG is definite priority #1 and Hartenstein is #1b but #1b might not have the available cap space after priority #1. In short, OG comes first and then they hope Hartenstein takes less to stay (but hope means nothing)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    In the 50s and 60s, which was the 76ers best winning era, guards Paul Arizon and Wali Jones were from Philly, went to Villanova and won NBA CHIPs with Philly. They were the prototypes
    Quick edit: that was when the Warriors where Philly's team. The 76ers with the Syracuse Nationals back then.

Tom Gola and Jack George were from Philly too (LaSalle). Guy Rodgers was from Temple. And though Wilt went to Kansas in college, he was a Philly kid. Obviously all of this was easier when there were only 10 teams in the NBA, but the modern Villanova guys play a brand of basketball (smart, hard-nosed, team-oriented) that Philly desperately needs to fill out around Embiid and they've got none of them. And we're seeing in NY what happens when put this band of players together, they really do form Voltron.

They drafted Bridges and then immediately traded him away, which only becomes a more brutal pill to swallow as the years pass. They could have acquired DiVo numerous times. They were part of the four-team deal that sent Josh Hart to the Knicks, but they didn't get Hart.

24. Likes:

Chip R (06-26-2024)

A lot of local chatter that Sarr never worked out for Hawks. Unclear whether Sarr declined/refused or Hawks never invited him. Or maybe he did and it’s all just a smokescreen to drive up trade leverage if someone after #1 wants to pay up to swap picks.

After signing Kirk Cousins for $80 million billion, then drafting Michael Penix at #8 a few weeks later, local sentiment heading into the NBA draft seems to be…if any organization can out-Falcon the Falcons, it’s the Hawks when they have #1 overall.

26. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-26-2024),Revering4Blue (06-26-2024)

Turn Off Ads?