Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harmonies: What Groups or Duos Were Your Favorite For Being Great Harmonizers?

Re: Harmonies: What Groups or Duos Were Your Favorite For Being Great Harmonizers?

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    Very cool song. Hadn’t heard that. Unfortunately I never got to see them, but you’re right Lindsey Buckingham is an incredible guitar player/musician, so I imagine he was amazing live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim, when you get a chance check out Buckingham's guitar work on "I'm So Afraid" and let me know what you think. Make sure to watch til the very end.

“It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harmonies: What Groups or Duos Were Your Favorite For Being Great Harmonizers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    Jim, when you get a chance check out Buckingham's guitar work on "I'm So Afraid" and let me know what you think. Make sure to watch til the very end.

That was awesome! Lindsey’s guitar playing is very underrated

Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

4. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (06-25-2024)

Of course, the best harmonizers I've ever heard come from religious groups around the world. The dedication, tradition, demand for perfection and practice time that's put into these groups make them the best in the world over the centuries that it's been done. No rock group or modern group comes close to competing with them when it comes to harmonizing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Of course, the best harmonizers I've ever heard come from religious groups around the world. The dedication, tradition, demand for perfection and practice time that's put into these groups make them the best in the world over the centuries that it's been done. No rock group or modern group comes close to competing with them when it comes to harmonizing.
    Nice. Have you ever heard The Primitive Quartet or The Crab Family? I’ve seen both of them and they were great

7. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-27-2024)

Nice. Have you ever heard The Primitive Quartet or The Crab Family? I’ve seen both of them and they were great

I love you, my friend. Just laughing with you. The Crabb Family. I've seen them in person. They're very good. I think they went their separate ways back in the early 2000's to pursue solo careers.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 06-26-2024 at 06:23 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Harmonies: What Groups or Duos Were Your Favorite For Being Great Harmonizers?

The love is real, my friend. I saw the whole family around 2015 in a church that seated about 500 hundred or so in Eaton, Ohio. It’s was Jason, Adam, their sister, and their mother. All the family mostly performed individually, but they did a few songs together at the end. Jason played a bluesy gospel song on guitar and tore it up. Adam played a mean harmonica on a few songs he performed. They sound great by themselves and even better on the few songs with all of them, because of the awesome harmonies

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-27-2024)

The love is real, my friend. I saw the whole family around 2015 in a church that seated about 500 hundred or so in Eaton, Ohio. It’s was Jason, Adam, their sister, and their mother. All the family mostly performed individually, but they did a few songs together at the end. Jason played a bluesy gospel song on guitar and tore it up. Adam played a mean harmonica on a few songs he performed. They sound great by themselves and even better on the few songs with all of them, because of the awesome harmonies

I remember enjoying them when they came to the church I was attending at the time. I thought they were excellent.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-27-2024)

I will look them up.

Here's a nice list:

"World's Greatest Choirs" from "Grammaphone-The World's Best Classical Reviews": https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature...reatest-choirs

There's 2 from Cambridge and one from Oxford on the list. They list 20 total. Here's #1:

1 The Monteverdi Choir

For 40 years, Sir John Eliot Gardiner's Monteverdi Choir have been the voices behind some of the most powerful and perceptive Baroque recordings in the catalogue, not least the hugely ambitious Bach Cantata Pilgrimage of the year 2000, but the choir’s range is also a strength (this past year has found them singing Bizet’s Carmen, Brahms’s A German Requiem and the Monteverdi Vespers among much else, and Weber's Der Freischütz looms large on the horizon).

- - - Updated - - -

A venue of 500. Fantastic! Very intimate.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

LiferJim (06-27-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Of course, the best harmonizers I've ever heard come from religious groups around the world.
    That's true. Right in little old Dayton, Ohio, there are black groups that blow away every group mentioned in this thread, and all of them have roots in the black churches in town. It's the reason that Dayton is the birthplace to Funk.

I love harmony, and some artists that come to mind are every R&B group from the 60's, the Golden Gate Quartet, the Blind Boys From Alabama, Boyz II Men, Commodores, and dozens of others.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-29-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    That's true. Right in little old Dayton, Ohio, there are black groups that blow away every group mentioned in this thread, and all of them have roots in the black churches in town. It's the reason that Dayton is the birthplace to Funk.

I love harmony, and some artists that come to mind are every R&B group from the 60's, the Golden Gate Quartet, the Blind Boys From Alabama, Boyz II Men, Commodores, and dozens of others.
    Good to see you back! Love the old Commodores songs and the old R&B stuff!

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-29-2024),Ky Fried Redleg (06-28-2024)

Nevermind Simon and Garfunkel, how about Simon and Brickell:

I believe there is a special place in hell for people that buy entities that others "root for" and treat it like any other regular business from a profit/loss standpoint.

20. Likes:

919191 (07-02-2024)

So many great harmony groups are siblings… The Everly Brothers, the Louvin Brothers… Here’s another one; the Roches.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EA-U5H...Qgc29uZw%3D%3D

They also did a version of the “Hallelujah Chorus” that you will not believe is only three voices.

I’m a big vocal harmony fan, but most of what I like is more oriented towards jazz or even Great American Songbook stuff. Stuff like Voctave or Singers Unlimited (the best)…
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

22. Likes:

dfs (06-28-2024)

Unique harmonies? Check out The Hu. Here with Lizzy Hale

These guys are likely to be crowned world champs next week.

"Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

My second favorite Eagles song:

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

26. Likes:

LiferJim (06-29-2024)

Turn Off Ads?