Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harmonies: What Groups or Duos Were Your Favorite For Being Great Harmonizers?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Harmonies: What Groups or Duos Were Your Favorite For Being Great Harmonizers?

Everly Brothers, and it aint close.

2. Likes:

elrojo (06-25-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harmonies: What Groups or Duos Were Your Favorite For Being Great Harmonizers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    I've been a fan of the Eagles since the mid-70's( that is, until morphed into mimes). $500 for a mime show--- I'll pass. Back in the day The Eagles could do some pretty fine harmonizing, as well.
    Saw the Eagles a few times back in the 70’s. At Ohio Univ. as part of a rock n roll festival, at Hara Arena a couple times (once with 10 Years After as the headliner and the Eagle stole the show) and once at Mershon Auditorium at OSU (while doing some very visual mushrooms). I think the OU show had Bernie Leadon with them and the later shows with Don Felder. I was a huge fan of them back then.
    I learn by going where I have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Everly Brothers, and it aint close.
    Defined the pop genre for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Saw the Eagles a few times back in the 70’s. At Ohio Univ. as part of a rock n roll festival, at Hara Arena a couple times (once with 10 Years After as the headliner and the Eagle stole the show) and once at Mershon Auditorium at OSU (while doing some very visual mushrooms). I think the OU show had Bernie Leadon with them and the later shows with Don Felder. I was a huge fan of them back then.
    I saw them on the Long Run Tour, they were good, but already edgeless and straining to be something to everyone. If I never heard an Eagles song again I doubt I'd miss them at this juncture

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I saw them on the Long Run Tour, they were good, but already edgeless and straining to be something to everyone. If I never heard an Eagles song again I doubt I'd miss them at this juncture
    I get it. I went back and looked at their discography and which albums I bought. I got Eagles (their introductory), Desperado (I loved this), On The Border (they started being a guitar band), One Of These Nights (I bought for Lyin’ Eyes for my ex wife), and then Hotel California. By then, I was done with them. They’d become too commercial and lost their country folk rock roots. I moved on. Their songs are a soundtrack for a 5 year stretch in my life but in the long ago past of swilling down pitchers of 3.2 Strohs in loud seedy bars.

8. Likes:

westofyou (06-24-2024)

Buck Owens and Don Rich were tough to beat.

The harmonies on this one are just gut-wrenching. I can't imagine being able to do that live.

Simon & Garfunkel

Here's one where Andy Williams joins them on the "Andy Williams Show"...

Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-24-2024 at 12:58 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

12. Likes:

LiferJim (06-24-2024)

I get it. I went back and looked at their discography and which albums I bought. I got Eagles (their introductory), Desperado (I loved this), On The Border (they started being a guitar band), One Of These Nights (I bought for Lyin’ Eyes for my ex wife), and then Hotel California. By then, I was done with them. They’d become too commercial and lost their country folk rock roots. I moved on. Their songs are a soundtrack for a 5 year stretch in my life but in the long ago past of swilling down pitchers of 3.2 Strohs in loud seedy bars.
    Rowdy Times. Back when the Eagles sang and Roy swilled.
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Rowdy Times. Back when the Eagles sang and Roy swilled.
    Strohs spelled backwards is Shorts.

This article quote captured what was going on then. My era was 1972-1974 but it was pretty much like this.

https://www.univdistcol.com/SouthCampus1999.html

When I was in school in The Eighties, the South Campus High St. bars were the center of social life on campus. On weekend nights, students by the hundreds streamed from the dorms to the bars. Young people from around Central Ohio flocked to the block to be part of the action. Long lines formed outside many bars. Saturday nights saw crowds so dense that police were obliged to tie ropes to the light poles to keep people from falling into traffic. Vehicle traffic on High St. was so dense that the 5-minute trip from Lane Ave. to King Ave. on High St. could take an hour. Police often closed off the intersection of 11th and High on weekend nights and set up a command post there. Underage drinking, fall-down drunkenness, illegal drug sales, fights, and public sex acts were commonplace. Pools of urine, blood, and vomit dotted the streets Sunday morning.
    Good times.

Loved Fleetwood Mac and their harmonies

https://youtu.be/eDwi-8n054s?si=44MbrygNXvywx8I7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Strohs spelled backwards is Shorts.

This article quote captured what was going on then. My era was 1972-1974 but it was pretty much like this.

https://www.univdistcol.com/SouthCampus1999.html

Good times.
    What you quoted pretty much describes how it was on Thursday nights on First Street in Richmond, KY back in the early 80's when I was there. I wasn't really into that scene. I was too much of a nerd back then. Driving down Main Street on Thurs. nights was like doing an obstacle course. The drunk college students would pretty much dare you to hit them. lol
    Its the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

Quote Originally Posted by LiferJim View Post
    Loved Fleetwood Mac and their harmonies

https://youtu.be/eDwi-8n054s?si=44MbrygNXvywx8I7

Love FM. Seen them live many times! I remember the first time I saw them. I was expecting the Stevie Nicks show. Turned out Buckingham stole the show. He was quite the live performer . LOVE Christine McVie's voice.

Always loved the beautiful harmonies on "The Farmer's Daughter." Just lovely.

Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 06-24-2024 at 04:31 PM.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Love FM. Seen them live many times! I remember the first time I saw them. I was expecting the Stevie Nicks show. Turned out Buckingham stole the show. He was quite the live performer . LOVE Christine McVie's voice.

Saw the Bob Welch version of Fleetwood Mac at Mershon Auditorium at OSU like 1973-ish. I had a big fight with my girlfriend before/during/after the show so I don’t remember a whole lot besides arguing.

Saw Buckingham/Nicks version of Fleetwood Mac and Jeff Beck (with Jan Hammer) at Riverfront Coliseum in 1976. Great great show. I was really into both bands at the time.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-24-2024),Ky Fried Redleg (06-24-2024)

Very cool song. Hadnt heard that. Unfortunately I never got to see them, but youre right Lindsey Buckingham is an incredible guitar player/musician, so I imagine he was amazing live!

Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Turn Off Ads?