Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elly: Another Example Of How We Don't Seem To Do Stars Well In Cincinnati

Elly: Another Example Of How We Don't Seem To Do Stars Well In Cincinnati

Elly: Another example of how we don't seem to do stars well in Cincinnati
    I need help figuring something out.

I grew up in Cincinnati and then came back 27 years ago.Iíve seen a lot of athletes come and go around here. I concluded something long ago, that remains true today:

This city doesn't seem to do star players well.

Four things donít seem to play well here: Wealth-injury-flair-development.
    Big contract seem to create jealousy and resentment
    Injuries seem to reveal frailty and weakness.
    Playing with style and flair seems to offend more than entertain.
    And heaven help the player that isnít an instant star.

Our stars tend to be more appreciated outside the city, than inside the city.

Eric Davis went through this. Ken Griffey Jr. went through this. Joey Votto went through this.

Joe Burrow is going through this. Elly De La Cruz is now going through this.

The Elly criticism is almost Votto like in the obsessive criticism. Yet, it's not money. Elly makes the MLB minimum salary. Thatís weird.

So many fans seem fixated on what Elly is not in their eyes.

Elly has played a grand total of 172 MLB games. In his first full season, in a game where offense is down across the board, he is performing above league average in all slash line categories:

Despite his struggles and inconsistencies, Elly is 18th in all of baseball in runs scored. He is first in stolen bases.

Does he need to clean things up with the glove? Sure. Heís 22.
    Derek Jeter committed 56 errors when he was 19.
    Ozzie Smith committed 25 errors when he was 23.
    Barry Larkin committed 29 errors when he was 24.
    Dave Concepcion committed 30 errors when was 26.

Yes, he strikes out. News flash: Everyone strikes out. 103 players struck out over 120 times last season. 36 players struck out over 150 times.

Nobody seems to mention heís T16th MLB in walks.

Here is my advice. Here is my plea: Appreciate and be excited by what Elly is.

Be really excited about what Elly can become.
    Read The Full Article Here:
    https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/l...in-cincinnati/

2. Likes:

icehole3 (06-22-2024),KeefeCato (06-21-2024),M2 (06-23-2024),NC Reds (06-30-2024),pedro (06-21-2024),SirFelixCat (06-21-2024),wally post (06-22-2024),wlf WV (06-21-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Elly: Another Example Of How We Don't Seem To Do Stars Well In Cincinnati

Good advice. This is true for many things in life: focus more on appreciating what we have and less on what we lack.

5. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-21-2024),Ron Madden (06-21-2024)

It's a tough crowd in the baseball world, the game looks easy, but it's not. Listening to the game from Rickwood last night on the radio while making dinner and Hunter Pence was calling the game with Jon Miller, after a particularly nasty pitch that the batter watched go by for a strike Hunter said, "Well, he couldn't have done anything with that one... because this is the Major Leagues and pitchers can pitch!" Of course in the game thread the other day after a Elly K I asked someone what they would do, they replied "I'd be ready to swing."

My head exploded all over my phone

7. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-21-2024),Larkin Fan (06-23-2024),pahster (06-21-2024),Ron Madden (06-21-2024),wally post (06-22-2024)

I have nothing but excitement for what Elly brings and what he can become. I don't live in Cincy though either.

9. Likes:

Chip R (06-21-2024),CySeymour (06-22-2024),KeefeCato (06-21-2024),RedsFanInMS (06-21-2024),Ron Madden (06-21-2024)

The other side of the argument is why does it get so much oxygen?

Why are the fans with the dumbest takes given so much attention? If a person in Cincinnati is seriously complaining about Eric Davis, Ken Griffey Jr., Joe Burrow, Elly, Larkin they don't really deserve conversation or attention.

Talking about rough patches, sure, talking about injuries, sure, talking about someone like Adam Dunn like they are the problem on a bad Cincinnati Reds team? That should be ridiculed and ignored.

Lance, and 700 in general, are some of the biggest drivers of this but you see it here on RedsZone too with not being allowed to use sarcasm with people who are complaining about Elly wearing a chain and the like.

Cincinnati has one of the most toxic sports cultures in the country - it's short of places like NYC or Philadelphia but worse than most - and I think it's at least partially because the goofiest fans are heard a little more than is usual or necessary.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-21-2024),Chip R (06-21-2024),Fil3232 (06-21-2024),Hubba (07-03-2024),KeefeCato (06-21-2024),Larkin Fan (06-23-2024),M2 (06-23-2024),NC Reds (06-30-2024),NebraskaRed (06-21-2024),RedTeamGo! (06-21-2024),RiverRat13 (06-21-2024),Ron Madden (06-21-2024),westofyou (06-21-2024)

Outstanding piece Ron. Every comment in this thread so far are spot on.
    Redsfaithful spot on. I need to ignore the foolish comments in the game threads and focus on the posters who understand baseball. Especially the modern game.
    My ignore list is about to grow by a few more. Tired of reading it. Tired of responding to it.
    Takes the enjoyment out of even coming on here and reading and posting anymore.

13. Likes:

Redsfaithful (06-21-2024),Ron Madden (06-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The other side of the argument is why does it get so much oxygen?

Why are the fans with the dumbest takes given so much attention? If a person in Cincinnati is seriously complaining about Eric Davis, Ken Griffey Jr., Joe Burrow, Elly, Larkin they don't really deserve conversation or attention.

Talking about rough patches, sure, talking about injuries, sure, talking about someone like Adam Dunn like they are the problem on a bad Cincinnati Reds team? That should be ridiculed and ignored.

Lance, and 700 in general, are some of the biggest drivers of this but you see it here on RedsZone too with not being allowed to use sarcasm with people who are complaining about Elly wearing a chain and the like.

Cincinnati has one of the most toxic sports cultures in the country - it's short of places like NYC or Philadelphia but worse than most - and I think it's at least partially because the goofiest fans are heard a little more than is usual or necessary.
    The negative voices are the loudest and get the most attention. It's human nature. If I say Elly is a great player, you agree with me and we move on. If I say Elly sucks, you, and others, tell me I'm crazy and we go back and forth and we will gain allies to attack each other's position. Social media has really brought this out into the open. I wrote a little bit about this on another thread earlier this season about Elly. It's like that on TV and radio shows and podcasts too. Negativity sells. Those people may not even believe what they are saying. They are just trying to rile people up so they can argue. they will even reverse their position(s) when it suits them. It's sad but it's the world we live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

15. Likes:

KeefeCato (06-21-2024),Puffy (06-22-2024),Redsfaithful (06-21-2024),Ron Madden (06-21-2024),Sassy Sal (06-21-2024)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Elly is playing well but has significant holes in his game still, and has been sitting on 2 WAR for like a month, based mostly on stealing every base on earth in April and not being able to get on base to steal anymore sense. I think he’s a star in the making, but he’s definitely not beyond criticism.

I loved Griffey, my favorite player of all time as a kid and then ended up a Red. He ended up posting, what, 8 WAR in his time as a Red?

There are very stupid WLW call in mouth breathers to be sure, and complete soup brained nonsense whining about Elly’s chain or some such racially charged nonsense, but I feel like some people get really defensive when certain players are criticizing at all too.

Hell Votto fell off and looked cooked pre pandemic and then he followed the “he should decide to hit more home runs” crowd advice and rejuvenated the twilight of his career, after admitting it was a mistake to go with his weird defensive check swing approach for a couple years.

17. Likes:

Sassy Sal (06-21-2024)

Is Burrow really not doing well in Cincinnati? Seriously?

19. Likes:

Sassy Sal (06-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    I haven’t heard anything, no

21. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    Nobody said Burrow isn't doing well.
    Please read the article, it's about Cincinnati Fans not treating their best players well

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Please read the article, it's about Cincinnati Fans not treating their best players well
    It's kind of subjective on what "doing well" means.

24. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-22-2024)

WRT Burrow, you actually have to get on the field to do well or poorly

*I am not a bengals fan and am trolling
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    WRT Burrow, you actually have to get on the field to do well or poorly

*I am not a bengals fan and am trolling
    My experience has been once the contract is signed the guy loses local luster status, that also applies to injuries and not being white hot like that one month that got your name in the papers

27. Likes:

Chip R (06-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Pretty sure that’s what he was referencing in terms of not doing well

Turn Off Ads?