Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 9/22 - Larkin News Conference at 7 PM

Originally posted by Hubba
    How in the heck do you make below minimum?
    I have no idea. All I know is what was reported by Ken Brew on WLWT, Channel 5.

Actually, that's not totally true... John Allen also said it earlier; Brew was recapping. I posted it right after John Allen said it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I dont think Allen said "below the major league minimum", I think he said, "not at the major league minimum."

The Reds didnt even contact Barry and or his agent until about a week ago. Is that right??

If that is so, then that is a horsebleep way of doing business with an 18 yr vet of the ballclub.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 09-22-2003 at 08:52 PM.

Originally posted by KittyDuran
    But he has been in uniform and in the dugout while on the DL...
    It's not the same as seeing him PLAY his final game, and take his final at bat. Not like giving him a good send-off the way San Diego did with Gwynn or Baltimore did with Ripken.

Barry was also the last player who will probably play his entire career with one team...well, until now.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Agreed that they made a fair offer. I think it's a good move by Allen to get this taken care of, so the next GM (who may have to try to deal Griffey) doesn't have to get his hands dirty on this.

I hope Larkin handles this well -- no nasty parting shots. And I hope the club does a special day for him this year or next, where they retire his number. There were some things about Larkin that made me skeptical of his real leadership abilities, but there's no doubt he's one of the 5-10 greatest Reds ever, and in my opinion the best shortstop in Reds history. We've been lucky to have him. (I don't think we'll ever see another player go 18 straight seasons with the team, either.)

Originally posted by savafan
    I dunno, but I think when you're dealing with the captain of the team, you do so with a bit more class than what John Allen just did.

Not saying the contract offer wasn't fair, just the way it was handled.
    OK. Then how differently would you have handled it?

They made an offer to Larkin, and he rejected it.

They held a news conference to inform the public (fans) of the results, and their final decision.

What did they do that was wrong?

I haven't had a chance to see the Allen announcement; but did he say anything that was inappropriate or wrong?

It appears to me that it was pretty "cut and dry".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think we may see Larkin in a Devil Rays uniform next year.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Retired
    While I think the press conference was a poor move, I agree with not renewing Larkin's contract. The Reds made a fair offer, it appears Barry is just looking for another fat payday like he did 3 years ago. Barrys soon to be expired contract should go down as one of the worst in Reds history.

Thanks for the memories Barry, but it's time to move on.

Even though I really despise John Allen, I have to agree with the general sentiment on the board. I don't see how we could pay Larkin anymore than ~$700K on a limited budget, especially when he is spending much of his time on the DL.

It would have been nice to have a BL day, but Allen said that Larkin was offered it and rejected it (though his lips were moving).

It's very sad to see it end this way, but we certainly couldn't have paid him like $1.5 M for a farewell tour.

I'm not even interested in watching this disgraceful product next year, so maybe I am a bit dulled by players leaving - I don't know.

Where is everyone getting these $$$ figures? I haven't read anywhere or heard anywhere what the exact amount offered was.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I agree with those that say that the contract offer was fair. I just can't see paying Larkin more then that at this stage of his career.

Reds and 26.2's
    Frankly, I was hoping Larkin would retire after this season totally after a career with the Reds..Down deep I knew he felt he wasn't done.

The Reds did what they had to do. Larkin is doing what he feels he has to do. Goodbye Barry and thank you for incredible memories. Good luck with whoever you land with..

Personally though, I don't know who'd offer him that much more.

He will look good going into the Hall with a Reds cap on though.

Originally posted by TeamBoone
    Where is everyone getting these $$$ figures? I haven't read anywhere or heard anywhere what the exact amount offered was.

The Reds offered the 11-time All-Star a one-year contract with a $500,000 base salary. Larkin turned it down, and owner Carl Lindner declined to increase the amount after talking to the shortstop by phone on Monday."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1619231

Who knows all the details at this point?

Maybe it was a non-guaranteed contract.

Just hard for me to believe everything John Allen says.

And here comes PART II of the plan. Gee, I hate to admit to such a leap in logic, LOL, but maybe this is the Reds way of pissing off Junior to the point that he ASKS to be traded. (Junior and Larkin are close buddies)
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 09-22-2003 at 09:11 PM.

Allen said that Larkin's agent said the Red's offer was "not even in the ballpark". So I assume he's looking for 2-3 million.

And yes, it was a guaranteed major league contract.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 09-22-2003 at 09:10 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Originally posted by JaxRed
    Allen said that Larkin's agent said the Red's offer was "not even in the ballpark". So I assume he's looking for 2-3 million.
    If that is the case, then I'm doubly happy they didn't do it.

Turn Off Ads?