Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What annoys you most?

Re: What annoys you most?

I must apologize now. When I read your post I was thinking about my post saying people who use batting average to evaluate players, because when I said it, it was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. If I had bothred looking it up, I would have realized you were referring to the post about people who live and die by every pitch. Had I realized you were referring to that post, I would have never thought anything was intended by it. I probably would have chuckled a little. At the time I thought it was meant as a SABR/traditionalist jab. Sorry for the overreaction. Yesterday was a long day and I was probably a little "on tilt" as they say in Poker.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Overreacting to one game!

I was at BW3 for the first 4 innings yesterday. There was guy in there at the table next to mine who lived and died by every single pitch. If there was a borderline ball/strike called in the Cubs favor, he was swearing. If a Reds batter swung and missed, he was hitting the table. On one of the double play balls, you would have thought we just lost the 7th game of the world series. I can't understand how it's fun to be a fan and be wound that tight about it.
    EXACTLY!

If following the game of baseball causes that type of reaction from you on a continuous level, then IMO, you need to find another hobby (if that is what you would call it :MandJ: ).

Something less stressful, like working on a bomb detonation squad.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

WOY-great article. Great points on the Mattingly-Henderson seasons of 1985-86 and the the evaluation of DiMaggio as a minor league prospect.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

BP radio has a download (mp3) of the radio show where Michael Lewis squares off with Tracy Ringlosby.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/radio/

Earlier Lewis wrote this in SI

Here is Lewis' reaction to Tracy Ringolsby's brusque dismissal of the book. For Ringolsby:

The problem wasn't just that Beane's ego was out of control. It was that the author of Moneyball "has a limited knowledge of baseball and a total infatuation with Billy Beane."

A limited knowledge of baseball--it sounds damning enough, but what does it mean? It doesn't mean that there's some distinct body of insider knowledge that he has mastered, or if it does, Ringolsby produces no evidence of it. It cannot mean the knowledge that might only come from playing the game, for he himself never got beyond Babe Ruth baseball. And it most certainly does not mean that he has some special understanding of what these people in Oakland are up to, because he has shown scant interest in interviewing them. Think of it! A guy who makes his living writing about baseball, working himself into a fine lather about Billy Beane's radical experiment in Oakland and never, according to Beane himself, asking for an explanation. A limited knowledge of baseball: What it means, so far as I can tell, is that Ringolsby is just another guy who's assigned himself the job of barring people from the game who, in his view, have no business inside. He's not a writer. He's a bouncer.

Lewis concludes:

But he has his own moment, this fellow. When he sits down to write his column he knows in his heart that he speaks for a lot of people who work just off the field of play. He may belong only to the women's auxiliary of the Club, but his views of the game reflect those of the actual members. A lot of people who make the decisions about building baseball teams think the way he does. That's why it's possible for a team with no money to win so many games.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I'm just sorry that that BP article won't fit in my sig.

Can we work on that mods?
    :mhcky21:

I read Lewis's article in SI, loved it, and put a copy of it inside my copy of Moneyball.
    Joe Morgan comes off poorly in Lewis's article as well. I loved Joe as a player, I believe he is the greatest secondbaseman ever, but he's really made some dumb comments about Moneyball. It is ironic because as a player Joe Morgan was exactly the type of player Billy Beane and Bill James would particularly value. Even when Morgan didn't hit .300, he had a very high OBP and was a high percentage basestealer.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

What annoys me most, the ol' bait-n-switch but Uncle Karl, man we pay for a new stadium after being pressured to build it for him, he promises us product, and we get nothing in return, in short, Uncle Karl bothers me the most, and it annoys me to think, GAWD, I cannot wait til the Bengals play.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioballplayer
    What annoys me most, the ol' bait-n-switch but Uncle Karl, man we pay for a new stadium after being pressured to build it for him, he promises us product, and we get nothing in return, in short, Uncle Karl bothers me the most, and it annoys me to think, GAWD, I cannot wait til the Bengals play.
    Marge owned the team when the tax increase passed. As for the "we" isn't that inclusive to the Hamilton County population base? And isn't Eastgate in Claremont County?

It isn't property tax, it's sales tax. It isn't where you live, but where you spend.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    It isn't property tax, it's sales tax. It isn't where you live, but where you spend.
    Yes, but how many people in the eastgate area do their retail spending outside that mess at 32 and 275?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think the thing that annoys me the most out of all is when it is suggested that because player X was in a similar situation or put up similar minor league numbers or had a simliar season to player Y, player Y will perform in the future the way player X did.

erm, basically, the past performance of one player does not accurately predict the future performance of another player
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I think the thing that annoys me the most out of all is when it is suggested that because player X was in a similar situation or put up similar minor league numbers or had a simliar season to player Y, player Y will perform in the future the way player X did.

erm, basically, the past performance of one player does not accurately predict the future performance of another player
    Personally I have a hard time using MLB comps with ML stats, but I believe that MLB stats after a certain amount of PA's can give fairly qualified comps.

1) I agree with Traderumor. The way most managers handle bullpens is a joke. I was soooooo sick of Bob Boone last year (of course he was consistent. Not only did he micromanage the bullpen, but everything else as well!). I was hoping for a change from Miley. But noooooo, yank the starter after 5, and go with one pitcher per inning (at a minimum!) from there on out. "Well, we've got so and so to pitch the sixth, and such and such to pitch the seventh, and then we get to our setup guy, and then bring in the closer in the ninth. Isn't there a freakin manager with some imagination? Remember how McKeown handled the Reds bullpen? If a guy was throwing well he'd let him pitch a couple of innings. He didn't have a closer, but used whoever was throwing the best. I miss that guy. I will say this, however; Miley (or ANYONE for that matter) will be a breath of fresh air after Bob Boone. He was the worst.

2) Crashing into a wall, getting hit by a pitch, running into someone in the field. Those are legitimate ways to get injured. But all of these "pulled hammies" and "strained this and thats" are a joke. Guys get hurt running to first base. RUNNING TO FIRST BASE! 90 FEET! What the ? is going on?

3) No imagination when it comes to a batting order. Why, for example, should your cleanup hitter be the guy with the most power? I posted this question a few years back, and the best response I got was "In case you have a runner on with 2 outs in the first inning, then you'll have the best chance to get a 2 run homer". HUH? That is lame. The traditional order (speed at leadoff, a good bat handler second, your best hitter third, etc...) is just that, a tradition.

I also like that article, WOY. Honestly, that was not at all intended for you if I can clear that up. But as RFS so eloquently pointed out, the condescending remarks to the "unenlightened" or stubborn, as the case may be, are all too frequent which is a primary reason for the rift. That is all I was getting at with my comment. So many times someone will make a "traditionalist" error such as the remark about BA in this thread and those who are heavily involved in sabermetrics will make condescending remarks that go something like "do I have to explain this again" and make the person feel like an idiot instead of patiently explaining their superior knowledge to the poor, uninitiated poster that stumbled across this humble little forum. That is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Great article. I hope everyone takes the time to read it.
    READ IT! Why, a 6 year old child could understand it (QUICK- someone run out and find me a 6 yr old, because I sure as hell can't make "heads or tales" of this!!! )

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?