Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: President Reagan’s health said to have deteriorated

Re: Reagan’s health said to have deteriorated

i'm amazed. it actually took longer for this thread to turn into a *****slap fight than i though i would. everything else about it though, is exactly in line with what i was expecting when i opened the thread.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oh, and this disease is still as sneaky as it was years ago.

A former police officer that worked in the same city as I did came into contact with an AIDS infected person. The guy kicked out the cruiser window and the officer cut himself on the glass (as did the suspect) and their blood mingled.

9 years later, after being tested every 6 months in that time frame he has now tested positive for HIV. :thumbdn: :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

Quote Originally Posted by TeamDunn
    And when information about the disease was FINALLY given to the public, homosexual males were the proactive ones that took the precautions needed....but by then the disease was in the blood supply and many non homosexual persons had contracted it.
    From avert.com-

At the end of the December 2002, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported approximately 384, 906 persons in the United States living with AIDS.

Of these,

46% were in whites,
    34% in blacks,
    18% in Hispanics,
    <1% in Asians and Pacific Islanders,
    and <1% in American Indians and Alaska Natives;
    Of the 298,248 men (of 13 years or older) who were living with AIDS

57% were men who had sex with men (MSM),
    23% were intravenous durg users (IDU)
    10% were exposed through heterosexual contact
    8% were both MSM and IDU
    Of the 82,764 adult and adolescent women with AIDS,

61% were exposed through heterosexual contact
    36% were exposed through intravenous drug use
    3893 children were living with AIDS.

http://www.avert.org/statsum.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Heres another one with statistics of how each was exposed.

http://www.avert.org/usastatg.htm
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Rewording:

So these are people that could have already been infected in the 80's before anything came out to the public.

I have friends that are gay. They take precautions because they are now educated.
    Last edited by TeamDunn; 06-07-2004 at 09:26 AM.

reported through December 2002.

For a Level Playing Field

Gee... my eyes have been opened by the likes of Michael Allred with their infinite wisdom.

I now hate every President of the United States. Why? Because I am a diabetic. You see, for the people who agree with Michael, diabetes has been around since this country began. It has killed WAY-WAY-WAY more people than AIDS. But some people, like Michael, have the gall to think that AIDS deserves more attention. Dont' deny it, Michael. Your attitude in this thread is not only selfish, but it also reeks of ignorance.

Care to tell people, Michael, how many people have died from AIDS compared to: diabetes, kidney-related diseases or blood-poisoning from infections? Are you just as concerned with finding cures for these diseases? Diseases that have been around WAY-WAY-WAY longer than AIDS. I doubt it b/c you have already shown that you are very short-sighted in what you believe.

I won't even bring up heart disease. Why? because lots of people bring that upon themselves (smoking). Kind of like people who get AIDS by having unprotecetd sex and/or do illegal drugs with a dirty needle (the vast majority of those afflicted, pal!).

Coming from a diabetic, my disease was not obtained by foolish behavior. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? It was caused by nothing that I did. It was caused by something in my genes. Like those who get terrible things like Cystic Fibrosis, Cerebral Palsy, MD & Kidney-realted diseases. Diseases that have been around WAY-WAY-WAY longer than AIDS.

As a matter of fact, AIDS research should be put on hold until all the other illnesses that I have mentioned are cured first. HEY... they have been around WAY-WAY-WAY longer AIDS. They have killed MILLIONS more than AIDS. And they inflict people who are not using irresponsible behavior (the majority of AIDS patients did not use responsible behavior when they caught the HIV virus... FACT!).

You see... my new way of thinking (hating all presidents who did not cure my illness, solving the diseases/viruses that are closest to me-me-me) are from reading Michael's views. Michael's views remind me of Rev. Fred Barnes. You know... the guy who leads a band of people into protests against gays and lesbians. Seems to come across as though they ARE HAPPY when a gay or lesbian dies. Michael and Fred may be on opposite sides of the spectrum on their opinions, but they both come across as hateful in their message. They both have no sense of class or respect when conveying their message. Rev. Fred and Michael Allred... one in the same. Don't be fooled... they are using hatred to deliver and show no human respect in delivering their message.

No hyperboles here. Just fact. How concerned are you about diseases that kill WAY-WAY-WAY more people than AIDS, Michael? Come on... answer the question. Diseases that were not 1st discovered in 1981 or whenever.

Don't be selfish and try not to be ignorant when answering. And try to use a bit of class and/or respect... more than used in your 1st post in this thread. If you are capable.

p.s. - glad I have the right to express my opinions here.

Coming from a diabetic, my disease was not obtained by foolish behavior.
    I know a guy who died from a blood transfusion he got in Africa in the 80's.

Sad.... but hardly *foolish*

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I know a guy who died from a blood transfusion he got in Africa in the 80's. Sad.... but hardly *foolish*
    A sad thing... what happened to your friend. I guess I'd be more caring if he was a diabetic (my new way of thinking).

I said the MAJORITY... I think I said it twice. Please feel free to re-read and try to catch all of it (if your mind will allow it). And also feel free to comment on the real points that I make.

(if your mind will allow it).
    Sorry your arrogance lost me there... enjoy your day.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

RFA: For all the talk of Mr. Allred being bitter, you are surely putting on a show.

I now hate every President of the United States. Why? Because I am a diabetic. You see, for the people who agree with Michael, diabetes has been around since this country began. It has killed WAY-WAY-WAY more people than AIDS. But some people, like Michael, have the gall to think that AIDS deserves more attention. Dont' deny it, Michael. Your attitude in this thread is not only selfish, but it also reeks of ignorance.

I think that Michael's point - inherently lost on you- is that Ronald Reagan's administration did not even acknowledge the fact that people had died of this disease until 1987. Can you name any administration that didn't acknowledge diabetes or heart disease? The president gets involved with drug policy (remember the "Just say No" programs?) and other matters like this to raise awareness and spur federal policy. Imagine being 5 years ahead of treating AIDS?

The reason I do not vote Republican is that you guys are just mean. Read the quote at the bottom of all my posts. Go ahead, read it right now.That came from Reagan's administration, and I have several more of them if you'd like to read them. It sounds a lot like what comes out of your posts on here.

People deserve what they get, no? I would like to think that we all hope we don't get what's coming to all of us, because we all deserve something in one way or another.

And it's pretty ironic that when you think someone is being mean to you, you suddenly pull out the Miss Manners book on everyone. People with AIDS deserve it...we'll, ever think that maybe you and everyone else with the disease deserve diabetes?

We're all sinners, right? So we all deserve all the diseases we have on earth. All because Eve ate some fruit.

Maybe you cheated on your girlfriend or took the name of the lord in vain? Perhaps you coveted your neighbor's property...

Maybe you judged others - like you are doing on your latest post- before taking a hard look at yourself?

Hey, I'm just using irony and satire like you are with Michael, so relax, RFA.

We all have the right to our opinion.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 06-07-2004 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Sorry your arrogance lost me there... enjoy your day.
    That I will not argue wth you. From the first day I joined here you seem to be an expert in this area. Arrognace. Go figure.

You too have a nice day.

Please share your opinions, Dom...

(1) Was it proper for Michael to START this argument in a thread that had obviously become a tribute to Pres. Reagan after his passing? Get over the freedom of speech crap too. I am talking from the decent thing to do as a human being. Something that only seems to concern you when it goes along w/your political thinking (imagine that).

(2) Could Michael have started his own thread (that would be a first) to share his opinions on Pres. Reagan? He chose to START crap in a thread that OBVIOUSLY became a tribute to Pres. Reagan. Classless. Dis-respectful.

I'm still trying to find out how all the diseases we knew about prior to AIDS has anything to do with the current rant?

This is about Reagan and about what he did and did not do when it came to the biggest disease to strike this planet during his watch.

Diabetes is horrible, as is cancer and MD, MS and a zillion other diseases. It is not that one is more important than the other. It is that the gvt did nothing to warn about AIDS to stop its spread.

Why work on curing all these other horrible diseases if you let one deadly one go and get in your blood supply? You save someone from hemophilia and in turn give them a deadly virus!!

That is what my beef is with how Reagan handled it. In my eyes the way I saw it was that as long as it was only gay men dying then it was an acceptable loss. After women & children and straight males were getting it via the blood supply or even drug use then he acted...at that point it was becoming a national epidemic.

No one disease should get more money or attention than another, but one that you can catch and can kill you in a short amount of time does need to be addressed...all of them in that category, not just AIDS. It just happened that AIDS came while he was in the White House.

The progress made with AIDS research has taught us quite a lot over the years. We know about retroviruses, we have a much better understanding of the immune system and how it works with us and against us (for all diseases, not just AIDS) and we have a lot more antiviral drugs on the market than ever before. I don't work day to day with this stuff or with any people that it may effect...but I hope that these things are progress and will someday lead to a cure for AIDS and other disease we currently have no cure for.

I don't hate Reagan, I never have. I simply disagree with the stand he took on this subject. If I can't disagree with how a politician does something then why bother to vote?

I don't know why all this has struck RFA with such emotion. It could be because this is the first president he really remembers as a child and it holds to a time frame when we in our 30's were young and innocent.

I am not saying that to make fun of you, I am being serious. His death has not effected me the way it has you. Maybe because in my mind he has been *dead* for 10 years now. Know what I mean? Kind of like if my biological dad died right now. I'd feel sad for him and for his family, but to me he has been dead for awhile now so it won't hit close to home.

I'm glad you have that kind of passion for the things you believe in. I think a few of us here have that same passion. But just because we are of opposite opinions on that passion does not make either of us more right or more wrong...just different.

I am truly sorry that you are feeling a deep loss. I mean that. You know you have always been one of my favorite people here and this disagreement will not change that.

I also hope they do find a cure for diabetes...it is a scary disease as well. My grandmother had it. She was able to regulate her meds and diet to keep it under control for probably 25 years or so I guess. Maybe longer. It seems like she had it for as long as I could remember so I was pretty young. She was onry though...that kept her going! She was not supposed to drink beer but she would have a can here and there. When family would show up she would shove the glass of beer in front of me, like it was mine. And I would hold it and let the fizz tickle my nose...cause the taste was just nasty!! I could never drink it!!! :

I had not thought about that for years.

I wish you the best RFA!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Gee... my eyes have been opened by the likes of Michael Allred with their infinite wisdom.

Care to tell people, Michael, how many people have died from AIDS compared to: diabetes, kidney-related diseases or blood-poisoning from infections? Are you just as concerned with finding cures for these diseases? Diseases that have been around WAY-WAY-WAY longer than AIDS. I doubt it b/c you have already shown that you are very short-sighted in what you believe.

I won't even bring up heart disease. Why? because lots of people bring that upon themselves (smoking). Kind of like people who get AIDS by having unprotecetd sex and/or do illegal drugs with a dirty needle (the vast majority of those afflicted, pal!).

Coming from a diabetic, my disease was not obtained by foolish behavior. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? It was caused by nothing that I did. It was caused by something in my genes. Like those who get terrible things like Cystic Fibrosis, Cerebral Palsy, MD & Kidney-realted diseases. Diseases that have been around WAY-WAY-WAY longer than AIDS.

As a matter of fact, AIDS research should be put on hold until all the other illnesses that I have mentioned are cured first. HEY... they have been around WAY-WAY-WAY longer AIDS. They have killed MILLIONS more than AIDS. And they inflict people who are not using irresponsible behavior (the majority of AIDS patients did not use responsible behavior when they caught the HIV virus... FACT!).

You see... my new way of thinking (hating all presidents who did not cure my illness, solving the diseases/viruses that are closest to me-me-me) are from reading Michael's views. Michael's views remind me of Rev. Fred Barnes. You know... the guy who leads a band of people into protests against gays and lesbians. Seems to come across as though they ARE HAPPY when a gay or lesbian dies. Michael and Fred may be on opposite sides of the spectrum on their opinions, but they both come across as hateful in their message. They both have no sense of class or respect when conveying their message. Rev. Fred and Michael Allred... one in the same. Don't be fooled... they are using hatred to deliver and show no human respect in delivering their message.

No hyperboles here. Just fact. How concerned are you about diseases that kill WAY-WAY-WAY more people than AIDS, Michael? Come on... answer the question. Diseases that were not 1st discovered in 1981 or whenever.

Don't be selfish and try not to be ignorant when answering. And try to use a bit of class and/or respect... more than used in your 1st post in this thread. If you are capable.

p.s. - glad I have the right to express my opinions here.
    LOL, my goodness, I have no idea where to begin with that one.

Without having a ton of time here, I'll simply say that AIDS is the greater threat to public safety because it is communicable. Cancer, diabetes, etc of course, are not. Naturally all diseases should be a major concern for the medical/scientific community to deal with but (IMO) what should you rush to fix first, a broken dam with a river pouring through it or a dam with a small leak? Which threatens a town more?

My stepfather has diabetes by the way...and liver/kidney problems...suffered two strokes...I DO realize there are other medical problems out there people face every day.

Now please, come down off your cross. We need the firewood.

Turn Off Ads?