Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Cincinnati Reds MLB Draft Selections

Re: 2004 Cincinnati Reds MLB Draft Selections

11th Round
    JASON URQUIDEZ ARIZONA ST U RHP R/R 6'1" 165 1982-09-12 4YR
    COMMENT: MEDIUM-LARGE FRAME. THIN, WIRY STRONG BUILD. TRIM WAIST. THIN LEGS. NO WIND UP. TALL, COMPACT DELIVERY. DEEP DROP IN BACK. TAPS TOE TWICE IN STRIDE, SIMILAR TO ROBB NEN. GOOD EXTENTION OUT FRONT. AVG ARM SPEED THROUGH 3/4 SLOT. FB MOST 87-88 W/ RUN & SINK, LATE AT TIMES FROM LOW 3/4 SLOT. DECEPTIVE STRAIGHT CHANGE UP. FB ARM SPEED W/ SINK LIFE. FEEL FOR HARD, SLURVE-TYPE SLIDER. 3/4 TILT, OCCAISIONAL LATE BITE. GAMER TYPE, KNOWS HOW TO WIN. AROUND THE PLATE, MIXES PITCHES WELL MUST HIT SPOTS TO BE EFFECTIVE.
    Last edited by MasonBuzz3; 06-07-2004 at 05:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Whats up with all the guys with no wind-ups??? Isnt that the same issue that Graves had when he tried to become a starter?? Does this mean that they are all relievers??

I think in the scouting context it means that they don't take their hands over their heads as part of their delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I think in the scouting context it means that they don't take their hands over their heads as part of their delivery.
    Thanks for the explanation, but that leads me to another question??? Is that a bad thing or a good thing??? I can honestly say, I have never really thought about whether or not a pitcher brings his hands above his head and any pitfalls/advantages it may have??

Not sure, and I could very well be wrong with my explaination , but it was the only thing that made sense in the quantities I was seeing.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by LexingtonRedsFan
    Whats up with all the guys with no wind-ups??? Isnt that the same issue that Graves had when he tried to become a starter?? Does this mean that they are all relievers??

"no wind-up" worked pretty well for Jim Kaat, back in the day
    Never overlook the obvious

We took a five-tool outfielder with our second pick! Somewhere, Jim Bowden is laughing.

Overall it looks like a pretty decent draft. I like the looks of Homer Bailey. Everybody seemed pretty high on him, some places projecting him a top 5 pick. Rotoworld says that he has as much upside as anybody in the draft.
    BJ Szymanski - I had the impression that he was more of a power guy than speed but his stats say otherwise at Princeton. Only 2 HR, but 6 triples. 13 SB in 15 tries. Not bad.
    Janish looks like a good 5th round pick. His numbers make him look like a clutch hitter, unless he batted with runners on base a lot. 2 year stats look like he is a potential .300 hitter. Had 44 RBI this year.
    Drew Anderson at 13 also looks good for middle infielder. Had a good year - batting .308 with 12 HR and an .875 OPS.
    There has to be something that I'm missing with Jared Sanders. But I guess he was drafted by the BlueJays out of high school so maybe he has some upside but has just sucked it up. 7.67 ERA and 13.89 hits per game isn't good.

Some more info from Baseball America-

5.SS-Paul Janish-

Scouting Report: Janish has lived up to his reputation as a standout defender at shortstop this spring, making just three errors in his 52 games while continuing to show a strong arm, soft hands and solid range. After batting just .296 with six homers in his first two seasons at Rice, then .105 with wood bats for Team USA last summer, Janish improved significantly at the plate. He was hitting .358 with nine homers in late May, doing a better job of using the whole field. He still could use more strength and a shorter stroke. There are few true shortstops available in the draft, so he could go as high as the third round to a team that believe he'll hit enough. If he returns to Rice‹and Owls juniors are often difficult to sign‹he could get a chance to pitch in 2005. His fastball tops out at 93 mph, and his slurve and changeup are promising.

6.C-Lonny Roa-

Scouting Report: At 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, Roa is stronger and more physically mature than the rest of the island's top prospects. He was the best performer at Puerto Rico's annual Excellence Games in early May, demonstrating power potential with a quick, short, compact swing. Scouts aren't sure whether he'll remain behind the plate because his feet are slow and he's not a polished receiver. His arm strength is adequate. Roa, who moved to Puerto Rico from the Dominican Republic about five years ago, is eager to sign and made himself a possible fourth- or fifth-round pick off his showing in predraft workouts.

10.RHP-Terrell Young-

Scouting Report: One of the draft's more intriguing cases, Young has scouts befuddled. He earned a high grade from the Major League Scouting Bureau based on his pure stuff, which can be filthy. He has the state's best arm, loose and quick from a sound delivery. His fastball can sit in the 90-94 range, and at times he spins a plus breaking ball. His personal history causes the most doubts. He's considered a good bet to sign because he has a 3-year-old son and is not a strong student--he's a Meridian CC signee). He'll need an organization willing to monitor him closely and shepherd him through the minor leagues to reach his considerable ceiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    After batting just .296 with six homers in his first two seasons at Rice, then .105 with wood bats for Team USA last summer, Janish improved significantly at the plate. [/B]
    A dollar five???

A dollar five.

Agreed, not very impressive. How many ABs? Could have been 2-19. Could just be a small sample size.

I must admit I don't have a good feeling about the folks the Reds have running the draft, so consequently I don't have a good feeling about the draft. There probably would have been doubts in my mind no matter who they drafted, however to me this draft looks high-risk. Only time will tell. The upside is pretty good, but the odds are a little long for my liking.

I miss Leland Maddux. His apparent draft philosophy better fit the Reds' needs, and I think that it was a huge mistake to drop him for Fred Claire's favorite man

in the long run Kearns/Dunn won't be Reds

in the long run we'll all be dead

Has anyone seen draft grades for day one yet?

The fact that Janish made team USA is a major positive, but that average is scary.

Is it .105 because of the wood bat or is it .105 because it is a small sample size or is it .105 because of better competition?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Turn Off Ads?