Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All you Lidle bashers can eat Crow now.

Re: All you Lidle bashers can eat Crow now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    In six of his last 10 starts, Lidl has given up 2 ER or less with an average of nearly 8 IP in those six starts.

Perhaps you have it backwards?
    Flip a coin 35 times and I can guarantee that it's not going to go even-odd heads/tails all the way through the cycle. So far this season, that's what Lidle has been- a coin flipping proposition.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Code:
    Career
    Split		ERA	IP	K/BB	BB/9	K/9	H/9	HR/9	WHIP
    Pre-ASG	5.19	503.1	2.72	2.16	5.88	10.34	1.23	1.39
    Post-ASG	3.45	363	1.94	2.55	4.96	7.91	0.72	1.16

This Year
    Split		ERA	IP	K/BB	BB/9	K/9	H/9	HR/9	WHIP
    Wins		2.69	42.2	4.75	1.01	4.79	7.82	0.76	0.98
    Losses		7.98	29.1	2.86	2.15	6.14	21.79	2.15	2.66
    ND		3.29	38.1	2.50	2.35	5.87	7.51	0.94	1.10
    Total		4.73	110.1	2.52	2.20	5.55	9.14	1.14	1.26
    interesting...in does indeed seem true Lidle is a second half pitcher. also, there seems to be a trend with him that the less he strikes hitters out, the more successful he is. wonder if that's just a coincidence or something more?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Just thought I'd be a jerk and bump this thread back up.

:mhcky21:

I was thinking about this thread :MandJ:
    Go Gators!

Well, at least you're honest about it Phil. :

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Just thought I'd be a jerk and bump this thread back up.

:mhcky21:
    Just play nice... please.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

It's alright. Lidle was just following in line with the rest of the players. At least he shows up and doesn't get hurt all the time, though I'm sure that would be better for many of you. Then you could have Van Poppel and Bong starting instead. Oh, wait, he's hurt, too.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Lidle is pitching really bad. Good thing Dan O didn't give him a contract extension.

If Paul Wilson leaves as a free agent, then that will really hurt.

I didn't like the signing-- with this defense we need K's from a pitcher-- but for a brief moment in June I thought that it might work out

I bow to that more constant basher of Lidle, M2.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    I bow to that more constant basher of Lidle, M2.
    For me, the frustrating part with Lidle ended once the games started. He's been what I expected and I can't fault him for that.

My only issue with Lidle at this time is I wouldn't under any circumstances bring him back in 2005 (an idea that was still be bounced around until recently).

On the bright side, hopefully the Reds learn from the Lidle signing and avoid similar mistakes in the future. Perhaps JimBo's chief fault was blind spot recidivism. Maybe DanO will prove more adept at self-diagnosis.

Quick observation on Lidle, he'd been a second half pitcher in years where he'd experienced a moderate first half workload. The Jays rode him hard early last season (125.1 pre All-Star IP) as did the Reds this season (121.1 pre All-Star IP). For a guy whose season high IP is 192.2 that's just too rough a ride. A radically different usage pattern (as compared to his glory days in Oakland) has produced radically different results.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The Reds didn't learn anything, because they already knew. Notice he has a 1 year contract. He was filler from the start, overpayed, but a filler non the less.

When you only have about 3 million to spend and little to deal, DanO seemed to prefer a method of satisfying budget by spending it on a retread worth far less instead of just not spending it at all which would have happened.

Lidle appeared burned out by early July, a bit surprising from a total career standpoint, but not in the context of his recent seasons.

The Reds didn't learn anything, because they already knew. Notice he has a 1 year contract. He was filler from the start, overpayed, but a filler non the less.
    That's how I saw him, a bridge an inning eater and an excuse to keep any young guy down in the ML so they could control his workload.

Of course the plan also had the Reds tanking early on and there was no plans on the Local Weekly's running stories about how the Reds needed to GET player as opposed to trading players, they didn't figure that they would have big crowds in June either.

The general customer base has 2 months of baseball to watch and it looks like the Reds gambled that the swag they could get for Wilson and Lidle wasn't worth the bad press and empty seats and reduced revenue.

Doesn't help build a team any quicker than many would want, but it also doesn't burn the Reds Brand down anymore with the casual fan, who by the way far outnumber the type of fan I am, and they bring their kids and actually buy stuff at the stadium

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That's how I saw him, a bridge an inning eater and an excuse to keep any young guy down in the ML so they could control his workload.
    While I see the value in that and I certainly agree that it makes some sense to keep fannies in the seats, I still don't think Lidle was a wise move.

First, and I think this is a point on which everyone can agree, the Reds surely thought Lidle would be far better than he has been. I was of the opinion that it was a mistake to think that, but there's no way the Reds would have tossed that sum at Lidle if they expected anything like what we've seen to date.

Second, if there was any team in baseball that didn't need to take a modest cash reserve and plunk it down on an inning eater, it was the Reds. To a build a good rotation, you have to start with a single pitcher. That's just the mechanics of it. Five guys don't land in your lap in one fell swoop. DanO had $3-4M in his pocket and entire offseason to figure out how to get that first guy. That should have been his top priority. Maybe it would have involved moving a little more salary so that the team could afford a keeper, but the Lidle signing, to me, was the definitive "We're not getting a lot better this year" statement.

It's the kind of choice the Reds have to stop making if they want to improve the club. When you're in a small market and not armed with a stockpile of hot prospects, you're not going to get golden opportunities where it's easy to snag the kinds of players you need. No question about it, it's a hard job that DanO's got. Yet it's imperative to succeed with the chances you get. He had some money and some time and it's the kind of situation a Reds GM has to make work. Lidle was a misstep that shouldn't be repeated.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Hey Raisor, where's the Jason Lane thread?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

but the Lidle signing, to me, was the definitive "We're not getting a lot better this year" statement.
    That was just part of it, of course they weren't thinking about getting better this year. This was a stability year, last year was a to the earth slash and burn job. This year was seeds, shoots and looking at what needs to be coaxed and what doesn't.

There are old hangovers in the organization (including 2 at the top) and in the wake of Bowdens departure instability on many fronts in the organization from the ML team to the MLB team, Allen didn't want DO, DO didn't want Miley.

Expecting anymore than what this team has rung out of the season prior to this year was an execise in futility.

I feel the organizations real goal was polishing up the brand more than the product. Lindner is getting on in years and his tax breaks are going to decrease (as far as the Reds go) it's easier to flip a healthy organization than one that is teetering.

Of course I could be wrong about my take.
    Last edited by westofyou; 08-04-2004 at 01:00 PM.

Turn Off Ads?