Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jack Comes Through (KGJ, Casey, Graves, Larkin) All Stars

Re: Jack Comes Through (KGJ, Casey, Graves, Larkin) All Stars

Cabs and Alou were players choices which means players respect those two more than Dunn or Abreau.
    UNC - God's Country

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedDog
    Cabs and Alou were players choices which means players respect those two more than Dunn or Abreau.
    i think cabrera is a good player but is riding his october fame from last year to the all star game and how can the players respect alou more, the guy pisses on his hands

This is absolutely wonderful news! So glad that Jack gave Barry the nod. He deserves it.

Well, if ops is the definitive stat in baseball then I guess Drew, Dunn and Abreu should have found their way onto the squad. But, I wonder if Jack even knows what ops is. My guess is that there was a lot of diplomacy involved, phone calls between managers, consideration about getting the teams with the best records a couple more men on the roster... I know Jack loves Cabrera, and who wouldn't. That kid is amazing. I just think people get too worked up about it every year. I am just glad we got four, and that Barry gets one final act in the spotlight. He is going to be treated like a king by the other players that night. Adam is going to have many, many All Star appearances in his future, I am sure.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 07-04-2004 at 09:00 PM.

Just to let you know from a reliable source. McKeon only was able to pick three guys because of the situation whereby some teams were not represented. He picked a Marlin, a Red, and a Phillie.
    UNC - God's Country

It's great news for the Reds' players and fans, but is it great news for the cheap Reds' front office? lol I'm wondering if any or all of the 4 guys have an All-Star $$$BONUS$$$ clause in their contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by BallBuster
    It's great news for the Reds' players and fans, but is it great news for the cheap Reds' front office? lol I'm wondering if any or all of the 4 guys have an All-Star $$$BONUS$$$ clause in their contracts.
    According to Jax' website, none of the selected players receives a bonus if they are selected to the ASG. However, if Casey is selected to the ASG in 2005 or he gets 640 more ABs by the end of 2005, his option for 2006 at $8.6M automatically kicks in.
    Last edited by Chip R; 07-04-2004 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I was really shocked that Paul Wilson didn't make it until I saw the stats of the starting pitchers that did make it. That is one heck of a pitching lineup for the NL including the relievers.

Just to give you a sense of how amazing Larkin making the All-Star team as a 40-year-old shortstop is, I can only find three players in major league history who played SS with any regularity at the age of 40 -- Honus Wagner, Luke Appling and Ozzie Smith (who really was more of a half-timer by that point in his career).

That Larkin still plays the position is a triumph in itself, that he's still good enough to make a All-Star team should be the capstone on a HOF career. Mortals don't do this. Heck, most immortals can't do it either.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Just to give you a sense of how amazing Larkin making the All-Star team as a 40-year-old shortstop is, I can only find three players in major league history who played SS with any regularity at the age of 40 -- Honus Wagner, Luke Appling and Ozzie Smith (who really was more of a half-timer by that point in his career).

That Larkin still plays the position is a triumph in itself, that he's still good enough to make a All-Star team should be the capstone on a HOF career. Mortals don't do this. Heck, most immortals can't do it either.
    Outstanding research, M2. This should seal the deal for Barry to get in the Hall. I mean, what more can the guy do?

If he doesn't make the Hall of Fame it will be a travesty.

Well done Jack. This should put to rest the notions that Jack carries a grudge against Larkin and Griffey. McKeon is a professional and chose Larkin for baseball reasons just like he decided to pitch around Casey and pitch to Griffey based on baseball reasoning. That day though there were a few here that called Jack all sorts of childish names. Let's see if those still hold a grudge toward Jack for the "stare".

I agree Bill. Props to Trader Jack for putting past issues aside to allow the Captain to make one final all star appearance. I can honestly say that if I were in McKeon's shoes, Larkin doesn't make the team. But, like everyone else I am very happy that he was included.

Cheers, Jack :GAC:
    :bong:

You guys, I am thrilled that Larkin was selected! I was jumping around my living room when I found out. Just outstanding news. If this really is his last year of playing (hmm...), what a way to go out. Congrats to the Captain, and thanks to McKeon for picking him!

And congrats to Junior, Casey and Graves. Good stuff, having four Reds named to the team!

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by M2

Amen, M2

As I always say, never underestimate Barry Larkin. Thank you, Jack.

Along with the 500+HR NL outfield, it will be a very nice story for MLB to have three 40 yr. olds (also NL) showing they still have the right stuff. Even though I personally think what Barry has accomplished over 19 years as a shortstop is the most impressive of the trio, it won't hurt his HOF chances to be lumped w/ Clemens and Johnson on a national stage.

Does anyone not think that this is Barry's last year?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?