Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Homer Bailey agrees to a contract; $2.3M bonus

Re: Homer Bailey agrees to a contract

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Wilbur Wood
    I read in this morning's paper that Wilbur Wood started and lost both games of a doubleheader on this date in 1973. He lost the first game 12-2, which made me wonder why the White Sox had him start the second game. He was a terrific pitcher for a few seasons. Didn't a knee injury derail his career?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey agrees to a contract

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    How could I forget Wilbur? Geesh, I've been playing a 1968 Strat replay for three years, grew up in the 70s, had probably twenty "doubles" of his baseball card in my tire spokes...

Speaking of knucklers, isn't that what Hoyt Wilhelm threw? If so, that means that 1968 White Sox team could bring a lefty/righty knuckler combination at you. Sounds like something Bowden would have tried.
    You're correct. Wood and Wilhelm were teammates. I'm not sure it makes much difference to a hitter whether a knuckleballer pitches right or lefthanded though.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Re: Homer Bailey agrees to a contract; $2.3M bonus

If anything, Gruler can become a better pitcher down the road. He might not have the blazing fastball but he will learn to rely on his other pitches to be successful.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Re: Homer Bailey agrees to a contract; $2.3M bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    If anything, Gruler can become a better pitcher down the road. He might not have the blazing fastball but he will learn to rely on his other pitches to be successful.
    I assume he'll become a better pitcher with experience no matter what. Yet if he doesn't have ace stuff, he's not going to be an ace.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?