Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should the Reds re-sign Wilson for 2005?

"So Fla Red"

Re: Should the Reds re-sign Wilson for 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    For some reason, I find the Reds outbidding the Cardinals hard to believe.
    Some even want to outbid the Cubs for Clement instead... :mhcky21:

2. Turn Off Ads?

For some reason, I find the Reds outbidding the Cardinals hard to believe.
    It was published in the St. Louis Post Dispatch at the time. Jocketty made an attempt to sign Wilson, but wasn't willing to give him as much as Bowden was in the second year of his contract.

1990WorldChamps

Wilson is pitching like a very solid #2 this year. If your experts (Gullet) think he can do it for a few more years, you sign hin to a 2 or 3 year deal.

I wouldn't be totally against a one-year extension with a club option for '06 for Wilson, but his risk of another injury and the odds that this is a career-type year make it a risky proposition, IMO.

If were DO'B, and some other club comes to me and offers a significant near major league-ready upgrade at SS, 3B, the rotation or closer, I jump on it. Anything more than that and I would be deliriously happy.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    I wouldn't be totally against a one-year extension with a club option for '06 for Wilson, but his risk of another injury and the odds that this is a career-type year make it a risky proposition, IMO.
    Wilson's career numbers aren't bad considering he's a career AL pitcher like Suppan and Carpenter. Being on a bad team didn't help things either. Players coming off a good year usually don't settle for one year deals.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    Wilson's career numbers aren't bad considering he's a career AL pitcher like Suppan and Carpenter. Being on a bad team didn't help things either. Players coming off a good year usually don't settle for one year deals.
    You may well be right, which is why I lean more to combining him in a trade if we can get a decent return. Past experience with guys like Haynes, Dessens, Harnisch, etc., make me leary of giving a guy like Wilson a LTC. He's probably more like Harnisch in terms of talent than Haynes or Dessens, but may have the same durability as Pete.

If I'm the Reds, I try to pick up at least one young arm now to go with Claussen and Harang, then round out the other two spots by adding a couple of projects during the offseason in the mold of Wilson and Lidle to compete with farmhands like Bong, Moseley, Belisle, Nelson and others for the four and five spots.

Corked Bat: 3 kids and 2 "projects" next year? Sounds like fun.

Sorry, actually that wasn't how I meant for it to come out. I'd like to see them move "some combination" of Wilson, Lidle, Graves, Jones, LaRue and maybe a prospect or two now before the trade deadline and come up with another solid young starter to form a rotation nucleus with Harang and Claussen.

Then, this offseason they need to move at least one from among Casey, Kearns, Dunn, Griffey and Pena for a top starter and let the projects and young'uns fight for the 5th spot. I'd also like to see them come up with a minimum of a top everyday SS replacement for Barry and a young closer in the deadline and offseason deals.

You might have to go the rest of this year with a rotation like the deadline prospect you receive, Harang, Claussen, Etherton and a constant rotating audition from Louisville, but I just can't see giving Wilson or Lidle and LTC or letting them go without anything in return.

If I got a solid young SS with a decent bat to step up and take over for Barry, I could easily live with Freel at 3B until EdE is ready to step up.

I was hoping that Wagner was a can't-miss closer of the future, after this season though, I think we could use a little more insurance. I'd like to see them add another young hard thrower to battle with Wagner, Reidling, Booker, Coffey and a couple of LHers for the bullpen spots.

Of course, this doesn't take into consideration the very outside chance that the FO might bolster the rotation with any savings realized by trading Wilson, Lidle, Graves, Griffey or Casey.

Two words: Pete Harnish
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990WorldChamps
    Wilson is pitching like a very solid #2 this year. If your experts (Gullet) think he can do it for a few more years, you sign hin to a 2 or 3 year deal.
    That's what they did with Jimmy Haynes.

Oregon, real simple here, $8.75M, can that buy you a pretty damn good starter or not?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If the Reds were to sign Wilson to an extension before the end of this season, how is DanO going to explain that to Miley? lol

Seriously, I want Wilson back, Lidle can go somehere else.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 07-23-2004 at 10:36 PM.

Again, Pete Harnish.

Didn't we learn anything when we signed Harnish to a contract extension after a good season only to be racked by injuries?

Wilson's injury history alone would make you leary of signing an extension for three or more years.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Im willing to give Lidle a second chance. Considering Wilson was 8-10 and has turned it around this year, and Lidle's great start last year, he could be this years Wilson next year.

Give him a chance to get the kinks worked out and used to NL pitching, and we may have something.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Give him a chance to get the kinks worked out and used to NL pitching, and we may have something.
    It's not as though Lidle's never pitched in the NL before.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Trade Wilson before the deadline for a quality pitching prospects.

Worry about getting your #3 pitcher for 2005 after you've gotten your #1 and #2 pitchers. Quit working from the middle or bottom, work from the top down. When you look for your number 3's and 4's first, they end up being your #1, still pitching like #3's and 4's.

If the Reds have their #1 and #2 pitchers and Wilson is available, and is within the Reds budget, THEN think about it.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Turn Off Ads?