Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you people want??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do you people want??

For as long as I can remember, posters here have complained that we have done nothing to even remotely make the club better. I think we can all agree that the bullpen, thirdbase and the rotation were our problems in order. You cursed the team for not doing anything.

So what does the team do? They go out and get David Weathers, Ben Weber and Kent Mercker for the bullpen. Sorry to sound so nasty, but anyone who thinks that that is not an improvement over what we had in the pen last year doesn't know what they're talking about.

You all complained about Austin Kearns moving to third. You said it wouldn't work out. The team realized that, so what did they do? They went out and signed a *PROVEN MAJOR LEAGUE* thirdbaseman. Sorry to sound so nasty, but anyone who thinks that Randa is not an improvement over what we had at third last year doesn't know what they're talking about.

Ramon Ortiz has been added to the top of the rotation. He is a veteran who had a streak of some mighty fine numbers over a three or four year period and also has World Series experience. He allows us to put Josh Hancock in Louisville, where at this stage of his career, I think he belongs. More importantly, Dan O'Brien has said he's not done yet. We know for a fact that we are intested in Wade Miller.

This team is improved over last year. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but it is my opinion that anyone who has any knowledge whatsoever about baseball should be able to see that this is a better team than what we had last year. People are actually complaing that O'Brien had a better off season last year when he did nothing???? What gives? Do you want the Reds to go out and sign Beltran and trade for Johnson....and while we're at it, why don't we go get Schilling and Gagne and Smoltz? Heck, why stop there?

So...my question presented to the posters here at Redszone is....What in the world makes you people happy?

PS. I'm sorry to sound so negative towards the vibe here, but it is just so frustrating to hear people say how we have to do this this and this to the team...and when we finally do it, you complain about it.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Re: What do you people want??

Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

-A true, lights-out, #1 starter.
    -health
    -luck

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    That's what we all want. We weren't going to get it running the likes of Castro, Hancock, Padilla, Norton, Sanchez and others out there. We have made improvements over them. That's my point.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

bomarl1969

I agree, that is what would make me happy...the Reds 6th World Series C-Ship! :gac:

You and every other team want that. So do i, of course.

However if you expect that every year and do not get it then what?
    First i would like this team to contend at least.

Baby steps, MWM. Baby steps.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I don't always agree with some of princeton's ideas, but I'm totally in his camp on this one. The only reason you play baseball is to win World Championships. Now I'm going to enjoy following the Reds even if they never win again, but that should ALWAYS be the goal. So if you have no chance this year, be working towards a time when you DO have a chance. I'd rather they crash and burn trying like hell to get one, then to have them flaggling around .500 for a decade.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't always agree with some of princeton's ideas, but I'm totally in his camp on this one. The only reason you play baseball is to win World Championships. Now I'm going to enjoy following the Reds even if they never win again, but that should ALWAYS be the goal. So if you have no chance this year, be working towards a time when you DO have a chance. I'd rather they crash and burn trying like hell to get one, then to have them flaggling around .500 for a decade.
    I think that is what the Cubs, White Sox, Astros, Phillies, Mariners, Indians, Rangers, Brewers, Padres, Expos have been doing all these years. They're just working towards that year when they have a chance.

Now, the Red Sox have given all of the MLB futile franchises hope that one day, all that looking to next year will eventually arrive.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Should they completely forego the 2005 & 2006 seasons in doing so?

I think we can all agree that the bullpen, thirdbase and the rotation were our problems in order. You cursed the team for not doing anything.
    No. We don't. My priorities were rotation, rotation and rotation and then maybe shortstop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    No. We don't. My priorities were rotation, rotation and rotation and then maybe shortstop.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    Who is willing to go through those 2-3 bad years?
    Where you been the past four years? I went through those. FWIW, looks to me like we've got 2-3 bad years coming up following DanO's current gameplan. Nothing gets better until this team figures out how to bring in some quality starting pitching. Ramon Ortiz doesn't even come close.

Which gets me back to what Rojo said.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

They could forget about 2005/2006 and 2007 also and people would be even less happy.

You cannot gaurantee that if you blow up for 2-3 years like in 82-83-84....you will get the same results of 1985-1990.

I know some people would not mind this...but at the same time they do not believe DO and the rest of the FO is capable of rebuilding like MINN did.

And at the same time they say it can be done faster if you just do what i say.
    Like it's just that easy to move contracts like DG or KG and get full value for WMp or AK when they have never put 1 full good season together.

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    You cannot gaurantee that if you blow up for 2-3 years like in 82-83-84....you will get the same results of 1985-1990.
    That's no reason not to try. There are no guarantees in life, period.

Me

And at the same time they say it can be done faster if you just do what i say.
    Like it's just that easy to move contracts like DG or KG and get full value for WMp or AK when they have never put 1 full good season together.
    Other teams seem to do it.

Turn Off Ads?