Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why All The Negativity?

Re: Why All The Negativity?

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Why? You didn't have to wait when you were inventing the unlikely animal that is Eric Milton 20-game winner and resident ace.

So what if the likely occurs? What if what you've seen is what you get with Eric Milton?

You're pretty quick to conclude that an entire section of posters here are awful, negative folks and thus I ask again, say Eric Milton pitches like he's Eric Milton, what do you say then?
    I enjoy the fact that he won 70% of his decisions and move on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    I enjoy the fact that he won 70% of his decisions and move on.
    I prefer pork to chicken in a burrito. It's got about as much to with how well Milton's going to pitch with the Reds.
    Last edited by M2; 12-28-2004 at 08:06 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Pork in a Burrito? My gawd man, were you born in a cave?!?!?

:MandJ:
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest

I could be wrong about this, but I think pork's the industry standard burrito stuffing in Mexico.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I don't like it myself but actually pork in green sauce is a pretty standard option in a lot of authentic taqueria's.

Whether or not that means M2 lives in a cave, I'll leave up to you.

I know I do.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Do you have the statistics to back that up?

(BTW, I was only joking, trying to lighten up this thread a bit. Same goes with this posts, really no need to look up stats on pork, I'll believe you.)
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Do you have the statistics to back that up?
    Concerning pork burritos or the the fact that I live in a cave?
    School's out. What did you expect?

This is what happens when I'm at work all day and don't have internet access until I get home.

A thread like this pops up, but everything I would say has already been said.

Rats.

I thought all the pre-Milton moves pretty much got the Reds back to .500. Maybe.

I haven't figured out yet what Milton does for them.

But then, I guess that's why they play all those games.

It will be interesting to see how these moves all play out.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

wonder if any of the reds ever read these threads?!?!?!?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN
    wonder if any of the reds ever read these threads?!?!?!?
    I wouldn't

"So Fla Red"

Great discussion. This is the first offseason between Oct-Opening Day in years that I've actually had much of an interest in the franchise since rarely was a pulse measured. I'd even go months without posting...

I think the difference is that if you can't develop pitching then you must overpay in the market even to find middle of the rotation guys. Wilson's contract looks like a steal for the Reds given all that transpired -- given the empty cupboard and need to run some short term CC debt as WOY eloquently stated. $4M for a #3 type starter is a BARGAIN for this franchise in its current state.

Portfolio Mgmt

high risk/high reward -- Milton. Fortunately this is only a three year deal. Quality LH are few and far between, heck Milton was 5th among LHP in K/9IP last season. Milton's a fine addition (albeit at a steep cost). For a franchise that relies on the season tix/gate as much as any in MLB and with the putrid rotation of the post 2000 era, a worthwhile roll of the dice.

low risk/high reward -- Hudson, Claussen. They are cheap and high potential and if one of them hits you're golden.

low risk/med reward -- Harang and his med-ceiling. He's cheap and serviceable until something better. Almost a godsend for a small marekt team with little home grown MLB talent like the reds.

med risk./med reward = Wilson. Almost certain to post a low 4 ERA and deliver you a ton of QS. With a better pen the Reds easily have a chance to win (and probably will win) the majority of his starts. Finding a Wilson was a must have for 2005, few names fit the bill at a $4M per year rate.

med risk/med-high reward -- Ortiz. Worth taking a flyer on someone you can control for two years if he pans out.

low risk/high reward on the open market. Good luck via FA... Agree with M2 that creative trades are the path to fill this magic solution. Teams can bottom fish for 2M per and someone out of 30 might find a Loiaza 2003 or an injury flier, but that's a high risk venture given the number of blind darts you have to toss at the board.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    In 2004, Eric Milton led all of MLB in Wins recorded (4) while posting Non-Quality Starts (i.e. Cheap Wins). He was tied for ninth among all MLB Starting Pitchers in Run Support (6.54 Runs Per Game).

Just to give that it's proper perspective, if a team scored 6.54 Runs per game over a season, they'd have scored about 100 Runs MORE than the top scoring MLB team last season.

In 2003, Brett Tomko went 13-9. Not difficult to do, even with a 5.28 ERA, considering that he received 6.75 Runs per Game in support that year. Derek Lowe posted a 14-12 record with a 5.42 ERA last season. Why? His team scored an average of 7.29 Runs per Game when he pitched.

The fact is that, since 2001, I can't find a single MLB Starting Pitcher who put up a losing record while receiving 6.00 or more Runs per Game in support of his efforts- regardless of how mediocre those efforts were. There are some good pitchers on that list. And there are some pitchers who performed poorly on that list but reaped the benefits from their respective offenses. Milton is one of the latter.

Where you see Wins and attribute them to Pitcher skill, I see Losses that should have been.
    So I ask this Steel, 1, what about other years? The 3 full years he pitched before that, I believe he averaged 13 or 14 wins as well. and 2, if Milton has a 5 ERA, wins 14 games, and get over 6 runs of support this year, will you be disappointed? And come on losses that should have been? Were they a W in the win column? Isn't that what matters? I doubt the team that lost was happy because they "should have won".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
    So I ask this Steel, 1, what about other years? The 3 full years he pitched before that, I believe he averaged 13 or 14 wins as well. and 2, if Milton has a 5 ERA, wins 14 games, and get over 6 runs of support this year, will you be disappointed? And come on losses that should have been? Were they a W in the win column? Isn't that what matters? I doubt the team that lost was happy because they "should have won".

I could not agree more, a W is a W is a W no matter what.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
    and get over 6 runs of support this year, will you be disappointed?
    Not if every other Red starter get the 6 runs of support as well.

Turn Off Ads?