Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why All The Negativity?

archiebunker

Re: Why All The Negativity?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Very good post, Mike.

When one's hopes for a ball club rely on players becoming altogether different players, the "IF" machine is truly churning.

If Eric Milton turns into a different pitcher in 2005 than he was in 2004, it'll be a good signing.

Shades of Cory Lidle.
    Totally agree. Finally people here making some sense!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by archiebunker
    You the most clear thinking person Ive seen on here so far.
    You're obviously new.

pay close attention to SteelSD, Raisor, WOY, M2 and a few others. Me? I usually just nod in agreement when they post. I have learned more in the last year about the sport I have followed the last 25 from these guys.

they know their stuff. I'm still learning.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Ryan and TR name the last 5 HS pitcher drafted in the first round to make a significant impact in the Major Leagues.
    Here's my list

C.C. Sabathia

Josh Beckett

Jeremy Bonderman

Jason Marquis

Kerry Wood

It's Your Opinion Steels but I don't see how you come up with 157 runs will make the team only 81-81......I think this team will be better then 81-81 and I don't think they will have to score 157 more runs to do it......

archiebunker

You're obviously new.

pay close attention to SteelSD, Raisor, WOY, M2 and a few others. Me? I usually just nod in agreement when they post. I have learned more in the last year about the sport I have followed the last 25 from these guys.

LOL, I didnt mean it literally...but for the short time Ive been here Ive seen some interesting comments to say the least. Like showing all of Adam Dunns homeruns were not solo because people get on Dunn for that, and I merely pointed out his flaw is his strikeout totals and his homeruns are fine. I got interesting reponses to that.

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Here's my list

C.C. Sabathia

Josh Beckett

Jeremy Bonderman

Jason Marquis

Kerry Wood
    All of them, with the exception of Marquis, or perhaps Bonderman, I admit I dont know that much about him, I find more valuable the pitchers than the chance of an Arod (one in million, even more rare of an athlete than the high school pitcher) or more likely a Nomar/ Renteria/ Cabrera mold.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoReds11
    It's Your Opinion Steels but I don't see how you come up with 157 runs will make the team only 81-81.
    Pythagorean Record

TR name the last 5 HS pitcher drafted in the first round to make a significant impact in the Major Leagues.
    I didn't comment on that. The rest you and I disagree on. It's my opinion based on the same info you're looking at. I'm not as crazy about Freel as others are and am not gonna fuss about a little over $2M for an upgrade. Now if the Reds can move Jimenez for even more pitching help, there's Freel at the ready.

I also am not in the habit of finding something to hate about every thing the Reds do.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Here's my list

C.C. Sabathia

Josh Beckett

Jeremy Bonderman

Jason Marquis

Kerry Wood
    For some reason, a lot of SS are signed as amateur FA. but a quick look gives me 4 pretty good SS's

ARod
    Jeter
    Nomar
    Larkin

I win. with those four alone I win. With Larkin and ARod alone I win. All first round picks are crapshoots. Heck all picks period are. but woy knows as well as anyone that HS pitchers are the biggest crapshoot of all.

archiebunker

You're obviously new.

Oh yeah, and I forgot when I mentioned the Padres were interested in Dunn a couple of years ago in exchange for Oliver Perez, people here had heart attacks. There would be your 200+ K pitcher with a 3 or below ERA, easily could be the Red's ace. And if the Padres threw in Jason Bay(roookie of the year2004) with it, there would be Dunn's replacement. I know its a thing of the past but I thought more people would like this idea.
    Last edited by archiebunker; 12-28-2004 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by archiebunker
    LOL, I didnt mean it literally...but for the short time Ive been here Ive seen some interesting comments to say the least. Like showing all of Adam Dunns homeruns were not solo because people get on Dunn for that, and I merely pointed out his flaw is his strikeout totals and his homeruns are fine. I got interesting reponses to that.
    Read the strikeout equal to any other out thread. not to hijack or anything, but it was clearly proven that the K's don't matter as long as his OBP and SLG are the monster forces they have been.

Welcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    It has never happened. Thats my answer and I'm sticking to it.
    Oh, it's happened. And rather recently at that:

2001 Anaheim Angels

Runs Scored- 691
    Runs Allowed- 730

2002 Anaheim Angels

Runs Scored- 851 (+160)
    Runs Allowed- 644 (-86)

Run Differential Swing- 246

I've done some research on that in the past, and what happened in Anaheim in 2002 is truly historical.

But alas, where the Angels needed a swing of only 39 Runs to get to the .500 mark, the Reds need 157. To get to the playoffs? Well, let's just say that betting on a second lightning strike is generally a bad wager.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

You're obviously new.

My sentiments exactly. It took them awhile to bang some sense into my head, but I'm still learning.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Krusty, what board are you reading?

Seems to me most posters love the moves DanO's made.

My takes on the various moves:

Wilson - Shouldn't have been re-signed. Has done all he can to be a below average pitcher the past four years and could be on the verge of a slide (there's some strong evidence for that in fact).

Ortiz - Never was that good a pitcher and already has hit his slide. Best case scenario, IMO, is he pitches like Cory Lidle last season -- lots of innings, lots of runs.

Bullpen - Historically the Reds have collected younger power arms for bullpen duty. DanO clearly prefers older control pitchers, or at least that's what he's brought in. Mercker doesn't throw a lot of innings. We'll have to see if Weber's healthy. Glom's the key acquisition. Looks like a mediocre unit unless kids like Ryan Wagner and Todd Coffey step up and have big seasons.

Randa - Glove helps, bat hurts.

Milton - The Reds are paying him like he's something a whole lot better than what he is. I was hoping other clubs, the Yankees for instance, would be foolish enough to throw gobs of money at this guy. In fact, back in October I figured he'd make a pretty good desperation yardstick, that he was one of the offseason's booby prizes, that you could assume any team that signed him had more cash than brains. Not going to change that opinion just because the Reds wound up being the team that landed him.

Doesn't look like it adds up to very good team to me. Though I'm in a distinct minority on that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'm with you M2.

Turn Off Ads?