Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Roethlisberger jersey is NFL's top seller

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Roethlisberger jersey is NFL's top seller

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3285512

Big Ben's doing well at the cash register.

Associated Press
    Posted: 1 hour ago

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger continues to put up impressive numbers: His NFL jersey is the No. 1 seller.

"Not only in Pittsburgh," said Eddie white, Reebok's vice president of team properties, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "He's No. 1 in the world."

Roethlisberger joins five other quarterbacks in Reebok's top 10: Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons (2nd); Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles (4th); Tom Brady, New England Patriots (7th); Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers (8th); and Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts (10th).

Reebok officials won't say how many jerseys Roethlisberger or the others sell. But White said it's "unprecedented" for a a rookie to have the top-selling jersey.

Jerseys often sell well when a team changes its uniform design or when a star player moves to another team. Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens (3rd) came from the San Francisco 49ers; defensive lineman Warren Sapp (5th) moved from Tampa Bay to the Oakland Raiders; and Clinton Portis (9th) moved from Denver to the Washington Redskins.

Priest Holmes, whose jersey is the sixth-biggest seller, is the Kansas City Chiefs star running back.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger jersey is NFL's top seller

He is so overrated. With that defense and supporting cast, Carson Palmer would do even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    He is so overrated. With that defense and supporting cast, Carson Palmer would do even better.
    Somewhat agree. I think Roethlisberger is proof that if you have two excellent WRs(one of which is 6'5 and the other is the best blocking WR in the NFL), along with a RB or two that can get the ball down the field, the quarterback position is meaningless.

Of course, there are the Tom Bradys of the world too.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Thank you! It's nice to see someone agree with me and I long for the day when it becomes obvious that Palmer is the better quarterback. Let's see how Ben does when the weight of the franchise actually rests on his arm. It might not seem so easy then. It's easy to play it safe and avoid mistakes when the team has other ways to pull the game out.

(Sorry, just some sour grapes from someone who has to hear it from Stiller fans.)

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    (Sorry, just some sour grapes from someone who has to hear it from Stiller fans.)
    Ben Stiller fans give you a hard time about Carson Palmer? That's weird!!
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I disagree, but I will admit I'm completely biased. I was touting the Roesthliberger horn before the draft even started. I worked with several New Yorkers and I went on and on about how they should draft Big Ben with their first pick. If I would have had the #1 pick in the draft, it would have been Roesthliberger.

I do agree that there is some merit to the idea that his situation helps him, but I've watched him quite a bit this year and the guy makes throws I've never seen rookies make before. He makes plays that most veterans don't make. My take from watching him is that he's the real deal. It's no fluke. He's going to be a great one for years to come.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It takes a villiage to raise a Quaterback. :mhcky21:

I am a Ben fan, I am from Findlay and he was a Senior at my high school when I was a freshman. When Ben was at Miami he has probably the best o-line in the NCAA, when he stepped in for the Steelers he was put in the same situation. Ben is a good QB, I think he will do just fine in the NFL. He got off to a hell of a start, cooled down a bit, but still is doing pretty damn good. It will be interesting to see how he matures. He has always been good about keeping his composure. I will root for him no matter what, but when he plays the Bengals thats a different story. I loved it when they sacked him those seven times though.

I had the pleaure of watching him play at Miami for three years, and while I am biased, I'm pretty confident in saying that he was easily the most physically gifted quarterback in last years draft, and probably the year before as well. He has the size and athleticism to be successful, as well as a big arm and he's extremely intelligent when it comes to recognizing coverages and blitzes. He'll be the best QB to come out of that draft and any team that passed on him will regret it.

That's not to say that he's carrying the Steelers, but he still has to make the throws and decisions that win ballgames. It's not his fault that they've surrounded him with good players, so I think the "overrated" tag is unfair.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan
    That's not to say that he's carrying the Steelers, but he still has to make the throws and decisions that win ballgames. It's not his fault that they've surrounded him with good players, so I think the "overrated" tag is unfair.
    I dont think he is too overrated, but it would be interesting to see what he would do if he were with the Giants in Eli Mannings shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

A couple of alternate theories to ponder. :biglaugh:

• People consider the number of letters that they get on the back of these jerseys to be a tremendous value. (A much better deal than a Warrick Dunn jersey, for instance.)

• A jersey with so many letters on the back makes the wearer look smaller than they really are.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?