Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can Gullett improve Milton?

Can Gullett improve Milton?

I've been reading forever about how Gullett never has anything to work with, that he's expected to make pitchers out of retreads.

Well, Eric Milton could be the perfect candidate to prove or disprove this theory.

I'll bet Gullett has studied tape and I certainly would think he had input before the signing. Has he seen something he thinks he can improve?

When you see the number of dingers Milton gave up last year, I wonder about his focus, 'cause a lot of those had to be mistakes.

It will be interesting to see what Gully has to say a couple of weeks into spring training when he get's to see him everyday.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Gullett improve Milton?

One of the criticisms of Larry Bowa's coaching staff in Philadelphia was the pitching coach Joe Kerrigan and how the pitchers didn't not care for him.

It will be interesting to see what input Gullett might have that could help Milton become a 15-20 game winner.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

By Krusty: It will be interesting to see what input Gullett might have that could help Milton become a 15-20 game winner.
    Getting Milton to be a 15 game winner isn't much of a stretch. But can Gullett get Eric to 'tighten up' his game and (A) win more close, low run-scoring games and (B) pitch more efficently in games where the Reds score a lot of runs for him so that either the pen has less pressure to put a game away or so that Milton can pitch longer into a game.

Rem

Looking over the stat lines for Milton, one thing jumps out at you - if he can ever get his HR allowed down he could a very good pitcher. Of course, if I could ever pick stocks that were about to double I'd be a millionaire, too.

I think it is the same situation with Ortiz and Claussen as well...all of these guys have excellent stuff...not overpowering...but in regards to Ortiz I have read in some instances where he is "lights out" or "horrible"..I saw Claussen pitch for the Clippers and I know some people within the FO in Columbus...this guy is projected to be a #2/#3 guy in a rotation..he is a tough, focused, controled guy that when he finds his stuff...he is not going to let it go.

With Gullet's talent and these pitchers we could see something really special...I think of when Wright went to ATL after all his ups and downs in Cleveland...and everybody questioned the pick up by ATL....look at him now...and I bet he is not as successful in NY as he was in ATL.

Oh well, that's all for now
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    I think it is the same situation with Ortiz and Claussen as well...all of these guys have excellent stuff...not overpowering...but in regards to Ortiz I have read in some instances where he is "lights out" or "horrible"..I saw Claussen pitch for the Clippers and I know some people within the FO in Columbus...this guy is projected to be a #2/#3 guy in a rotation..he is a tough, focused, controled guy that when he finds his stuff...he is not going to let it go.

With Gullet's talent and these pitchers we could see something really special...I think of when Wright went to ATL after all his ups and downs in Cleveland...and everybody questioned the pick up by ATL....look at him now...and I bet he is not as successful in NY as he was in ATL.

Oh well, that's all for now
    Not to argue about Wright but I believe that Wright was also healthy last year for the first time in many years. I do believe that he was a headcase and that Cox and his staff do wonders for pitching...I just believe that Wright had some help with health also.

As far as Gullet improving these guys...I haven't seen him do anything in a long time. I truly believe that it is time to look for another pitching coach. (Actually it was time 3 years ago)
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    When you see the number of dingers Milton gave up last year, I wonder about his focus, 'cause a lot of those had to be mistakes.
    Could be a mechanical adjustment, as well. Bend your back, don't be so stiff on the front leg, etc. Helps to keep the ball down and (hopefully) in the yard
    Never overlook the obvious

Thread Killer

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr

As far as Gullet improving these guys...I haven't seen him do anything in a long time. I truly believe that it is time to look for another pitching coach. (Actually it was time 3 years ago)
    And what is it he was supposed to do with Jimmah! ?
    or TVP?
    or Paul Wilson? wait a minute, that guy ain't half bad. Hmmmmmm......

Milton's HR rates aren't a mechanical flaw.

GB/FB rates:

1998- 0.52
    1999- 0.58
    2000- 0.62
    2001- 0.59
    2002- 0.67
    2003- 0.50
    2004- 0.58

He's an extreme fly ball pitcher. Some of those are bound to fly over the fence. We need to get used to it.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

You never know how a pitching coach will connect with an individual. Hopefully Milton/Gullett will work well together.

I did noticed something about Milton's homeruns. He gave up the bulk of those homers in June, July, and August. In those months, he gave up 28 homers while walking only 33 batters. Also, those 28 homers were nearly half of the 62 runs he gave up in those months.

Thread Killer

A lot of pitchers who give up a lot of HRs get beaten up because of it...Milton seems to get tough when someone sends his pitch going......

Thats an encouraging stat IMO.....

Turn Off Ads?