Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PETA's at it again

Re: PETA's at it again

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Some would say the same about the game between the humans as well. Different strokes...and much ado about nothing.

Plus, I'll have to do some reading, I guess

If you have any questions let me know, my wife has talked to apes before she has many animal stories that are not your usual "come and get a treat"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    If you have any questions let me know, my wife has talked to apes before she has many animal stories that are not your usual "come and get a treat"
    I don't doubt she has, but it would certainly be difficult, if not impossible, to verify that communication was at the level of conversation, especially at the level of an animal communicating their emotions to the level of "it really sucks being stuck here in this cage with all these people watching me pace back and forth," which was the original point. Heck, many can communicate more than "come and get a treat" with a dog with little or no formal training. But when it comes to asking an animal how it feels...
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'm pretty sure they can put sensors like heart monitors and such to see how the crowd is effecting the animal. That's one way of communication, not everything has to be verbal.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You've intrigued me. I almost went into primatology. It was one of my minors. I worked with rhesus and pig-tailed macaques for a couple years after college. I worked with a baboons once too. They were pretty intimidating. PM me if you care to share anymore.

My 2 cents -

I hate PETA.

I also hate seeing animals used in this manner.

I hate seeing horse driven carraiges on city streets.

I hate seeing dogs tied to doghouses that aren't ever allowed inside.

I'm not a vegetarian.

I think animal testing is necessary for pharmaceuticals, but I think we have enough shampoo on the shelves.

We all draw our own lines.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    You've intrigued me. I almost went into primatology. It was one of my minors. I worked with rhesus and pig-tailed macaques for a couple years after college. I worked with a baboons once too. They were pretty intimidating. PM me if you care to share anymore.
    My wife used to work with Kokjo the sign language ape, because of this we had some cool back channel experiences with language studies with dolphins and chimps.

Stuff that goes beyond pavol and drool and stuff that's not as crazy as Congo or the book Ishmal.

I hate seeing dogs tied to doghouses that aren't ever allowed inside.
    I could put that in the "things I don't get thread" myself. I know some do this with hunting dogs, but as the so called "family pet," just pointless selfishness.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I could put that in the "things I don't get thread" myself. I know some do this with hunting dogs, but as the so called "family pet," just pointless selfishness.
    There is a movement here in Knoxville to make it illegal to keep dogs tied. Dogs who are tied-up are much more likely to bite someone.

As for the PETA discussion. PETA is known to provide financial support to groups responsible for millions of dollars worth of terrorist attacks. They do not have a public relations problem. They are an organization quite worthy of contempt. As a person who is dedicating his life to the welfare and health of animals, I find them repulsive.

Maybe if they reached a compromise

Maybe the Jaguar will volunteer to be at each home game if he is free to roam at dinner time, then we can see who really wins the game.

I could take a Jaguar.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    They're over the top, but they've got a point here. There's really no point in having live mascots, in my opinion anyway.
    To heck with the mascots. What about what those opposing players do to each other on that playing field?? The personal fouls! The unsportsmanlike conduct! Carrying guys off the field in stretchers! The blood, the maimings and injuries!

It's downright inhumane! Someone needs to put a stop to it!

PETA should really stand for "People for the Ethical Treatment of Athletes" :mhcky21:
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Walking up to someone who has a fur coat on and throwing paint or blood on them would tend to pose a PR problem. :MandJ:
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?