Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why I Don't Believe In Global Warming

Why I Don't Believe In Global Warming

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

I don't know about the rest of you living here in Ohio, but the ice storm that hit this part of the state was the worst ever.

It hit us last Wednesday morning, and not only this entire county, but the most of the NW part of the state was paralyzed with no power (heat, running water, etc). Everyone's been living like the Amish for the last 5-6 days!

In fact, there are still "pockets" without power yet. I've never personally witnessed such devastation while driving around the county. I've come to the conclusion that I will have a generator whenever this happens again.

When you live out in the country, you also find out just how far down the totem pole you are when it comes to getting your power restored.

We left the area last Thursday and wasn't able to return until this past Sunday evening. We stayed at my brother's house in Springfield.

The kids finally went back to school yesterday, and it wasn't until last night that we got cable TV and internet back. It kinda brought back memories of my youth, having to use rabbit ears, and only being able to get 4-5 channels on the ol' TV set. The kids thought it sucked though!

These pics are taken at my home. My beautiful maple trees are shot. So much for shade this summer. Now I gotta get the ol chain saw out and get it cut up.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-20-2006 at 06:20 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Reds All Star

Re: Why I Don't Believe In Global Warming

WOW ! I knew it was bad but....just wow!!

And I've already had John-boy and Billy-bob stop by, with their chainsaw in hand, and in their 1970 Ford F100 pck'em up, asking me if I'd like them to clean this mess up.

I said "What mess?"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Wow. Those pics really tell the story, GAC. Too bad the Dayton Daily News can't print pics like an amateur-photographer can here at RZ. Their pics did not at all tell the story like yours above. My company has a facility in Celina, OH and their phones were out for two days b/c of the ice. Now they have been on the verge of being flooded by Grand Lake.

The power outages are bad. For those out-of-towners... there have been some carbon monoxide (the silent and odorless killer) deaths in this part of the world. People are running generators to stay warm and without proper ventilation the gas gets them. Very sad. So be careful GAC if you get that generator (I am sure you will be).

Temps are supposed to plumment today in our parts. No coat needed this morning, but temps are supposed to drop 30 degrees by the time we leave work today. High of 64 degrees in Dayton yesterday (4 degrees from the all-time record high for that day)... forecast says high of 25 degrees this Saturday. Still... 25 degrees in January is not bad!

I work outside of Anna, Ohio '66. Alot of my co-workers are from the Lima-Celina-St Mary's area. They too were hit very hard.

When I get a generator I plan on having a professional do the wiring/installation so it's done right. Since this storm, we've had several deaths from generators not properly venilated. Also had several house fires from people using kerosene heaters. Why people leave these things unattended I'll never know.

I sorrily know what this is all about. In Jan 1998 we experienced 2 strait days of icing. Reports were that the ice accumulated up to 2.5 inches. We had no electricity for 14 days, although we did have a generator after about 4 days. The phone was out for a month. Many homes had roof problems wether they collapsed or leaked. The trees that survived are still in the recovery mode. From what some of the local experts on trees told me is that if the trees make it through 2 summers they should survive. I have pictures somewhere, but can't find them right now. I feel for you GAC, these storms are devistating.

Reminds me of the ice storm that we had here in Charlotte a while back. Hang in there, buddy!

I also was hit by this same storm. I was without power for six days. Every single street here in Ada was littered with fallen limbs and power lines. The ONU campus literally looked as if it had been hit by a tornado.

http://www.adaherald.com/

Wow GAC..just wow
    Go Gators!

Wow, hate to see those nice trees take a beating.

Hunker down there, Nanook.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

GAC, that just sucks. I'm sorry about your trees ... they look so sad!

Ice storms are just devestating. I went through a few when I lived in upstate NY; it's so much worse than snow. Hang in there!

tom browning

Turn Off Ads?