Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

What are you reading now?

Thought since it was a new year, we'd start anew with this thread.

Just returned from my lunch break, where I went on a little splurge at Barnes and Noble.

Picked up four books, all of which I am looking forward to reading in the next few weeks.

The First was Perilous Times, about the free speech, or lack there of in times of war, from the post-Revolution era to today. Figured it was a good topic given today's world and it’s a subject I am passionate about. The author is one I've seen before, he's a free speech activist so I'm interested to see what kind of scholarship and what the tone is in the book.

The 2nd and 3rd books, show that I am on a naval/oceanic kick lately. The titles I picked up were To Rule the Waves about how the British Navy became a global power and Sea of Glory about the US Ex Ex, a little known story about the US first major expedition voyage, and how despite going horribly awry at the end achieved some monumental goals.

I also picked up the Lonely Planet: Britain travel book for my upcoming (hopefully) trip abroad late this summer.

So what’s everyone else, the regular readers out there and not the not so regular readers, have on their reading plate these days?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What are you reading now?

my princepals of macrodeconomics book

also "The History of Civilization Volume II" by Durant
    and
    "52-Week Baseball Training" by Gene Coleman :gome:
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I just finished The Lesser Blessed a "coming of age" story in the tradition of the SE Hinton books, except it takes place in the NW Territory and involves Natives. It's a short intense read, like a dusk to dawn road trip.

I also just finished The Lords of the Realm, a good read on Baseball and the labor movement. Next I'm going to read Nobody's Fool or High Fidelity, I haven't decided.

I just read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and it was ridiculously good.

I'm reading American Pastoral now by Philip Roth. Pretty good so far, I really liked The Plot Against America so I thought I'd try some of his other stuff.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I also just finished The Lords of the Realm, a good read on Baseball and the labor movement.
    Awesome book. I wish everyone who complains about greedy players would read it.

Super System: A Course in Power Poker by Doyle Brunson.

Championship No-limit and Pot-limit Hold'em: On the Road to the World Series of Poker by T. J. Cloutier, Tom McEvoy
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

La Dolce Vita

I'm almost finished w/ Edward P. Jones' Pulitzer Prize-winning, historical novel about slavery, The Known World.

In my "read next" stack is Truth & Beauty by Ann Patchett, Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama, A Widow For One Year by John Irving (I just saw the film, The Door In The Floor based on the first part of this novel), and Dry, the memoir by Augusten Burroughs, which is supposedly better than Running With Scissors.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Super System: A Course in Power Poker by Doyle Brunson.

Championship No-limit and Pot-limit Hold'em: On the Road to the World Series of Poker by T. J. Cloutier, Tom McEvoy
    Yeah I also just read Winnings Small Stakes Hold Em by the 2+2 people. Good stuff. Where do you play Puffy?

A Widow For One Year by John Irving
    Good book, I think they sliced the story for the movie, dropped a main charactor IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    my princepals of macrodeconomics book

also "The History of Civilization Volume II" by Durant
    and
    "52-Week Baseball Training" by Gene Coleman :gome:
    Durant?

Good stuff--his Story of Philosophy got my juices flowin' in high school, made the great philosophers understandable, but never in a condescending or pedantic way. Just a great, great read--if you've not picked it up, it's a super engaging read, IMO.

Right now, James' The Golden Bowl and Lisa Jardine's Ingenious Pursuits, which is about the scientific revolution of the 17th and 18th centuries--pretty good overall. Harold Love's Attributing Authorship, a study on discovering the authorship of anonymous and pseudonymous texts throughout history (amazing stuff, if you're into that sort of stuff).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm reading "Streets of Laredo" the last in the "Lonesome Dove" series by Larry McMurtry. I was never big on westerns but after reading several of McMurtry's other books (non western) I decided to give these a try.

Prior to that I went on a Christopher Moore kick (Fluke, Bloodsucking Fiends, Lamb, Coyote Blue & The Lust Lizard of Melancoly Cove) which were all very funny.

I also read "Rule of the Bone" by Russell Banks which I liked.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Yeah I also just read Winnings Small Stakes Hold Em by the 2+2 people. Good stuff. Where do you play Puffy?
    Well, me and my friends play every Friday - $20 buy in. The payouts depend on how many people we get, obviously, but usually we end up with either 7 or 8 people, so usually fist is $90, second is $50 and third is $20.

Then I go to Ebro sometimes - its a greyhound racetrack and they have tournaments every Wednesday and Friday. They run them all day so you can always get into one.

Online I play on Aztec, although I just downloaded Poker Stars. Online is a different game - can't read people as well, plus people do some stupid stuff that you can't really defend against.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I really need to find a live game. I play on Party Poker, but I bonus ***** a lot too. http://www.bonus*****s.com/ There's a decent amount of money in jumping around from site to site and hitting up their bonuses.

Texas Hold Em is a really interesting game. I feel like I've still got a ton to learn.

I am (finally) almost finished with Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel. Only about 30 pages left. I'm also almost finished with Killing Dragons by Fergus Fleming, which is about the history of exploration in the Alps.

In my "to read" pile:

The Fifth Book of Peace by Maxine Hong Kingston
    The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
    Flyboys, by James Bradley
    Shopgirl, by Steve Martin
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Michael Chabon
    I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith

(The latter two are books I can't believe I haven't read yet. I've owned them both for a long time.)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Michael Chabon.

really liked that. 'wonder boys' by chabon is great too.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?