Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RON OESTER fired

RON OESTER fired

Oester fired from job in minors

Naehring says 'fit' was wrong

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

ATLANTA - It seemed like a perfect fit when Ron Oester, a tough player bred in the old-school Reds tradition, was hired to lead the on-field minor-league operation. It didn't work out that way.

Oester was relieved of his duties last week, just as he was about to depart for the Instructional League.

"I guess I wasn't enough of a yes man," Oester said.

Oester said he was shocked by the move and wasn't sure who was behind it.

Reds director of player development Tim Naehring said it simply wasn't working out.

"Hindsight is 20-20," Naehring said. "Obviously, Ronnie Oester is a good person and a good baseball man. But the demands of the on-field coordinator are time-consuming. With organizing the schedule and everything else, it's a difficult job. It wasn't a good fit."

The Reds hired Oester Dec. 31. The move was big news because Oester had left the Reds in 2001 after 27 years in the organization, a year after the manager's job was taken out from under him in a misunderstanding with then-general manager Jim Bowden.

Oester was working in the Philadelphia Phillies' player development department when the Reds wooed him to a position created under new GM Dan O'Brien.

"I wanted to help the club get back to the way it used to be," Oester said. "I thought I was doing that. I guess I didn't kiss enough (butt).

"The puzzling thing to me is the same guys survive year after year and the organization doesn't get any better."

Naehring said the job will be filled.

"We don't have anyone in mind," Naehring said. "I'm going to sit down with Dan and talk about it. I want to make sure whoever it is is 100 percent comfortable with the way we do things."

Oester has no immediate plans. He said he'll consider his options for a few weeks.

http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/09/22/red1nte.html
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RON OESTER fired

I can't say I'm a big fan of Oester, but I'm not all that thrilled by the management that fired him either. Of the management charged with building the Reds into a winner, about the only guy I'd give a passing grade to right now would be Chris Chambliss.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I'd take anything Ronnie O says with a grain of salt right now. He is clearly very bitter.
    That said, I wish there was more damning evidence to fire a guy than "he wasn't a good fit."

Well, there had to be a lot more to it than the "good fit" line, but not for public consumption.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I guess we can't blame this one on Jim Bowden.

"We don't have anyone in mind," Naehring said. "I'm going to sit down with Dan and talk about it. I want to make sure whoever it is is 100 percent comfortable with the way we do things."
    Must have been some kind of conflict.

Oester needs to quit being a cowboy and doing things his way. You work for a company and you do it the company's way or you're out the door. It's that plain and simple.

But to come out and say that the Reds want nothing but "yes men", well.......what's that say about Ron Oester? Oester should be thankful he was able to come back to the Reds. New GM and new direction the organization was taking after canning Jim Bowden. Instead, maybe the problem was all Jim Bowden but alittle of Ronnie Oester too.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

man, i'd love to be anywhere in the FO right now...
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

"I wanted to help the club get back to the way it used to be," Oester said. "I thought I was doing that. I guess I didn't kiss enough (butt).
    No offense, Ron, but what did you do to add to the team to make it "what it used to be"?

I respect him as a baseball man but as a team player, he appears to lack the skill. You get paid, you follow direction. Thats how working works.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    "The puzzling thing to me is the same guys survive year after year and the organization doesn't get any better."
    Ditto.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Ditto.
    Ronnie has had two stints himself during this period of losing.

When things go bad, you have to fire someone, right? It's called deflection.

I get the impression that he is not a yes man and that a man whos ideas don't match what the Reds do than theres the door. Ron is a idea man and thats tough to be around these yes men running the show.Do you think Miley would have been rehired if he weren't a good yes man? I like both men but this organization doesn't want anyone on board who thinks a little different than the FO. SO FAR D.O. HAS SHOWN NOTHING IN THE SHORT TIME HE'S BEEN HERE. GO CINCY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Oester needs to quit being a cowboy and doing things his way. You work for a company and you do it the company's way or you're out the door. It's that plain and simple.

But to come out and say that the Reds want nothing but "yes men", well.......what's that say about Ron Oester? Oester should be thankful he was able to come back to the Reds. New GM and new direction the organization was taking after canning Jim Bowden. Instead, maybe the problem was all Jim Bowden but alittle of Ronnie Oester too.
    Agreed. When Oester gets to run his own organization he can do things however he wants. But when you are working for someone else, you need to do things their way or else suffer the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Ditto.
    Ditto for what? What Oester said was 100% not true. Let's see what occurred last year...Bowden, Boone and most of his coaches were fired, McKeon was let go. Seems to me the same guys don't survive year after year. Oh and you're gone now too Ronnie...good riddance to you!

Turn Off Ads?