Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds trade Dustin Moseley for Ramon Ortiz

Re: Reds get Ortiz

uh ... this leaves me scratching ... something.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Ortiz had an awful 2003.

I sure hope that guy doesn't show up, 'cause that guy looks like a Reds pitcher.
    2004 Ramon was pretty Reds-esque as well--in and out of the rotation, a bunch of hits, low Ks.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

From rotoworld:

Reds acquired RHP Ramon Ortiz from the Angels for RHP Dustin Moseley.

We like that the Reds are getting Ortiz here, but to sacrifice one of their top prospects for a pitcher who was probably going to be non-tendered? Maybe we'll withhold judgment until seeing whether the Reds can avoid arbitration and sign him to an affordable two-year deal. Going to the National League should be very good for Ortiz. The 31-year-old right-hander looked quite a bit better last year than he did in 2003, but he was still very inconsistent, frustrating the Angels. Maybe it will help that he won't have to worry about keeping his rotation spot in Cincinnati. He should be viewed as a potential bargain in NL-only leagues
    Edit for rotoworld update:

Reds acquired RHP Ramon Ortiz from the Angels for RHP Dustin Moseley.
    We like that the Reds are getting Ortiz here, but to sacrifice one of their top prospects for a pitcher who was probably going to be non-tendered? The Angels had already declined their $5.5 million option on Ortiz. Cincinnati likely will try avoid arbitration and sign him to an affordable two-year deal. Going to the National League should be very good for Ortiz. The 31-year-old right-hander looked quite a bit better last year than he did in 2003, but he was still very inconsistent, frustrating the Angels. He ended up with a 4.43 ERA in 14 starts and 20 relief appearances. Because his stuff has come back, he should be viewed as a potential bargain at $4-$5 in NL-only leagues. He'll join Paul Wilson, Luke Hudson, Aaron Harang and either Josh Hancock or Brandon Claussen in the Cincinnati rotation.
    "Because his stuff has come back..."

Well, he's got that going for him...which is nice.

One month ago on rotoworld:

Angels declined RHP Ramon Ortiz's $5.5 million option for 2005.
    This doesn't officially make Ortiz a free agent, as he's short on service time. The Angels will continue to try to trade Ortiz, but it's unlikely that anyone will want to go to arbitration with him. As a free agent, he might come as cheap as $7 million over two years. There should be several middle-market teams interested in him once he's non-tendered.

I like ORtiz, he has a little upside. I liked him as an FA after the Angels non-tendered him, which they would have done, noy in a trade for Moseley.

I am left speechless.

With this deal I can honestly say that I have serious doubts if DanO has any clue. I don't see how this fits in any kind of a plan for building a winner.

Shows the value of our top prospects.

If Gullet can bring around the 2002 Ramon Ortiz, I will be happy. Otherwise, we traded a top chip for Cory Lidle all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Shows the value of our top prospects.

If Gullet can bring around the 2002 Ramon Ortiz, I will be happy. Otherwise, we traded a top chip for Cory Lidle all over again.
    If they can't get him to agree to some kind of a 2 year deal then this trade serves very little purpose anyway.

i've been asking around and, unless i'm mistaken, the angels could not have nontendered ortiz because they offered him arbitration and he accepted. i'll continue to research, but in the meantime if anyone has contrary info, let 'er rip....

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    No offense, but the Cincy FO landing the likes of an AJ Burnett just seems like a pipe dream any more. They appear to either be not willing to trade from one of our few strengths or they're not willing to foot the bill for it, both in current and future dollars. As one poster put, I think a trade of this nature is about as good as it gets for us.
    I used Burnett as a stalking horse. Pick any arb-eligible pitcher making between $1M-$5M, it's the same difference. Point is, with Ortiz in tow, the Reds now have closed that door for this offseason. Essentially this marks the point at which I don't really have to worry about the Reds getting any better for 2005. I agree that Reds management lacks the fortitude to work the trade market in that fashion, though my take is that's a fairly damning statement, the basic equivalent of saying the Reds are a rudderless ship.

Aronchis, you weren't around when the Lidle signing happened, but it was a wildly popular move on this board. Only a few panned it.

Brooklyn, I'd think moving Oritz out of the way would make the Angels more likely to pursue another starter like Clement.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

"There should be several middle-market teams interested in him once he's non-tendered. "

Maybe this is why Dano didn't want to wait on the non-tendering?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    i've been asking around and, unless i'm mistaken, the angels could not have nontendered ortiz because they offered him arbitration and he accepted. i'll continue to research, but in the meantime if anyone has contrary info, let 'er rip....
    The Dec 7 deadline was for free agents. I believe teams have until the 19th to offer it to players not eligible for free agency. Rotoworld(who is usually on top of this stuff) indicates he has not yet been offered arbitration.

it seems to me that there's a better chance DM will never win 10 games in the bigs than there is that he will. i'm not going cry over this. seems low risk. but that's DO's MO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Trying to find a scenario where this trade makes sense. In order to get a potential 200 inning starting pitcher, the Reds would have to deal one of their young outfielders. According to DanO, nobody wants any of our players except Dunn, Kearns & WMP, so sacrificing one of our own Big 3 (outfielders) for a workhorse was less than appetizing.

The other option was signing a good free agent starter (i.e. Odalis Perez, Matt Clement, Russ Ortiz, Jon Lieber, etc.). The problem with this scenario is a 3-4 year commitment for at least $7MM per season. Not the kind of atmosphere in which the Reds are comfortable.

So DanO sees a possible deal for a formerly good starting pitcher with 12-15 win & 200 IP potential. It works because Ortiz is tired of Anaheim jerking him from the rotation to the bully, and the Angels don't want to go to arbitration with him considering their soon-to-be glut of starting pitchers. So maybe DanO believes he can avoid arbitration with a pitcher who just wants to start again on a team where he feels valued. If he can agree to a deal around 2 years/$7MM, it makes some sense.

Kind of sad that this is the only way we can get a potential #3 starter. First time in my life I've been jealous of Brewers fans...and the Pirates are on deck.

Baseballreference.com:

Year Ag Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP ERA *lgERA *ERA+
    +--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+
    1999 26 ANA AL 2 3 9 9 0 0 0 0 48.3 50 35 35 7 25 44 2 2 218 6.52 4.87 75
    2000 27 ANA AL 8 6 18 18 2 0 0 0 111.3 96 69 63 18 55 73 2 7 472 5.09 4.97 98
    2001 28 ANA AL 13 11 32 32 2 0 0 0 208.7 223 114 101 25 76 135 12 7 916 4.36 4.75 109
    2002 29 ANA AL 15 9 32 32 4 1 0 0 217.3 188 97 91 40 68 162 5 7 896 3.77 4.33 115
    2003 30 ANA AL 16 13 32 32 1 0 0 0 180.0 209 121 104 28 63 94 12 4 814 5.20 4.26 82
    2004 31 ANA AL 5 7 34 14 0 0 13 0 128.0 139 64 63 18 38 82 4 5 543 4.43 4.59 104
    +--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+
    6 Yr WL% .546 59 49 157 137 9 1 13 0 893.7 905 500 457 136 325 590 37 32 3859 4.60 4.56 99

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Brooklyn, I'd think moving Oritz out of the way would make the Angels more likely to pursue another starter like Clement.
    i agree...i'm just reporting what i'm being told by the people who would know.

I liked Dustin Moseley. This trade disappoints me.

Turn Off Ads?