Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reitsma Traded to the Braves.

Lum was from Hawaii

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reitsma and his tendency to give up the long-ball won't be missed by me. Bong is promising and Nelson isnt too bad of a prospect. Reitsma was overvalued by a lot of teams and I think Dan O got a good return for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Originally posted by Aronchis
    The Bong jokes will be endless now on I suppose :
    What was DanO smoking when he acquired Bong? I wanted to be the first. :
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:32 AM.

They're probably cheaper too...we all know how important that is
    That is important, throwing money at something doesn't automatically fix a problem.

2 arms for one arm, two guys with upsides farther away from a payday, a LH with a career maybe as a starter in a ballpark that screams for LH starters.

Good Deal

I can't wait to see the "Bong" jersey, #420, that will sell like hotcakes, no big deal to trade junior now, we have another good jersey seller

Originally posted by 919191
    One way to tell if this is true (and I do believe you, Catch22) is the board will always go down in the event of a trade!
    HA! I wasn't sure if I believed it myself. I heard it from Chris' brother in-law - and I was half thinking that he was playing a joke on me to see how fast I would post it here. I was starting to get a little worried when I couldn't find anything about in on the web, but now that it's been announced on the radio I can breathe a sigh of relief.

Not sure what I think about the trade. I think it could be a really good move for Chris. I do know that he, and his wife have alot of really good friends in Cincinnati and will miss them very much. This is really the first time he has been traded in the majors and that one is always the hardest.

The good news for me is that I get TBS on cable up here in Canuckland and during the summers it is pretty much all Braves baseball on TV so I should have a much easier time catching his games on TV.

Of course now that he isn't with the Reds, I don't have near as much reason to come around here anymore, but I suspect that I will always have an interest in the Reds and I'll be poking in here from time to time. I think if I went cold-turkey I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Besides, Reds or not, there really is some great baseball discussion that goes on here and I enjoy that.

I can't wait to see the "Bong" jersey, #420, that will sell like hotcakes, no big deal to trade junior now, we have another good jersey seller
    Stoners want the stash... not a jersey.

Originally posted by princeton
    JimBo, OTOH, would have kept Reitsma until he was too expensive, then flipped him for a high level OFer that we didn't need and an 18YO pitcher about to hit the operating table.

Here, painful as it is for me to see, we get what we need.
    I think you nailed this one, princeton. That's exactly what JimBo would have done. I like this first trade by O'Brien. It addresses our needs perfectly. IMO, Chris Reitsma was the perfect player to trade this year. He has plenty of value and is not too expensive for the value you get. He wasn't going to close because we need to have Graves there to showcase him for a possible trade, and he was blocking Wagner should we be able to trade Graves. We got a good, young lefty for the bullpen this year, and two candidates for the rotation next year. We're starting to put together SP's that I am excited about:

Acevedo, Claussen, Harang, Bong, Nelson, J. Hall, and Belisle and Moseley are all nice looking young pitchers that I pray continue to develop....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Prediction: Riedling is next.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    If this was already posted and I missed it, my apologies.

BP on Jung Bong:

Bong may need a couple of years to hit his stride, but he's young, and his progress is all the more impressive given that when he left Korea, he was an outfielder. Bong had some command problems last year, and he's still trying to perfect a curveball that the Braves believe he'll need to master before returning to the starting rotation. He doesn't profile like a typical reliever either, however, as his best pitch is the change, and Keith Foulke types are rare. The best thing for Bong, especially given his relative lack of experience, will be to get him 25 starts somewhere, be that in Atlanta or Richmond. Too bad the ERA projection doesn't read 4.20.

On Bubba Nelson:

This is what you get when you draft a lot of rural kids: Bubbas are supposed to be big, huge guys -- but this one is barely above six feet and a few pounds shy of his listed 200. Bubba was named after his dad. Nelson relies mostly on his slider, throwing it more than half the time. His translated strikeout rates have declined at each level, but that's the predictable, troubling result of relying too heavily on a breaking pitch. Nelson's delivery of his slider also places a lot of torque on his elbow, and his innings pitched total was down last year. As pitching prospects go, he's on the overrated side, though he might work out nicely as a reliever in the Scott Williamson mold.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IslandRed
    [B]If this was already posted and I missed it, my apologies.

BP on Jung Bong:

Bong may need a couple of years to hit his stride, but he's young, and his progress is all the more impressive given that when he left Korea, he was an outfielder. Bong had some command problems last year, and he's still trying to perfect a curveball that the Braves believe he'll need to master before returning to the starting rotation. He doesn't profile like a typical reliever either, however, as his best pitch is the change, and Keith Foulke types are rare. The best thing for Bong, especially given his relative lack of experience, will be to get him 25 starts somewhere, be that in Atlanta or Richmond. Too bad the ERA projection doesn't read 4.20.

Too bad the ERA projection doesn't read 4.20.

Haha,:MandJ:

Rotoworld.com writeups

Left-hander Jung Bong was traded from Atlanta to Cincinnati in a three-player deal.

Bong doesn't have Bubba Nelson's upside, but he can still be helful as a bottom-of-the-rotation starter or a middle reliever. The Reds could send him down initially in order to further evaluate Phil Norton and Mike Matthews, but expect him to be a part of the team's bullpen by May or June. A chance to start games would come later.

Reds acquired RHP Bubba Nelson and LHP Jung Bong and from the Braves for RHP Chris Reitsma.

Reds GM Dave Miley's first trade looks like a very good one. The Braves have a reputation for holding on to the right pitching prospects, but both Nelson and Bong can be assets this year and in the future. Although the Braves were starting to see him as more of a reliever, Nelson should get a chance to be part of Cincinnati's rotation by midseason. His hard sinker makes him a potential No. 3 starter. Expect him to spend at least the first two months of the season at Triple-A Louisville.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    I just hope there was more to this than dumping his salary....after all they didn't want to pay him his arbitration salary and fought that one.

After last season's salary dump, I don't trust any move they make until I see something positive come out of it...hopefully this time something will

Re: Rotoworld.com writeups

Reds acquired RHP Bubba Nelson and LHP Jung Bong and from the Braves for RHP Chris Reitsma.

Reds GM Dave Miley's first trade looks like a very good one.
    Was there a coup we didn't know about?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?