2. Turn Off Ads?
    Tell me I'm Cool

Re: Lidle traded?

Heres a story I found about Joe Wilson:

Joe Wilson Info

Top Prospect #38: LHP, Joe Wilson
    By PBN Staff
    Date: Dec 20, 2003

Joe Wilson came to the Phillies from the University of Maryland – Baltimore County in the 13th round of the 2003 Draft. Before long, Wilson was showing his stuff in the Phillies minor league system and took one step up the organizational ladder in just his first season of professional ball.

You have to love a young college arm that doesn’t have too much mileage on it. Especially when that arm is a left one. That’s what Joe Wilson brought to the Phillies when they grabbed him in the 2003 Draft.

Wilson spent most of his time as a starter at the University of Maryland’s Baltimore County Campus. Still, he didn’t put the mileage on his arm that a lot of young pitchers do. Wilson pitched 152 innings between 2002 and 2003 in college. Not a huge amount of innings, but enough that he was able to show what he can do on a mound.

The Phillies drafted Wilson and started him slowly by putting him in the Gulf Coast League. Wilson quickly started to impress and was bumped to Batavia after pitching in 11 games, 9 of which were starts. Wilson went 4-2, 2.06 before his promotion and didn’t miss a beat after arriving at Batavia. The 21 year old made two more starts at Batavia, going 1-1, 2.40 for the Muck Dogs.

Wilson is a control pitcher who relies on location. He has enough velocity that he can fire up a strong fastball and throw it by a hitter when he has to, but also features good movement on his pitches that keeps hitters off guard. Wilson won’t turn 22 until the 2003 season is nearly finished and by then, he should be at Lakewood. It’s possible that he will even start the season at Lakewood depending on how roster spots fall and how Wilson does in minor league camp in the spring.

Moran

412 AB 2 HR 37 RBI 24 BB 76 SO 41 SB 16 CS .284 AVG

Wilson

4-4 3.15 ERA 18 games 80 IP 2 HR allowed 40 BB 79 SO

From Philadelphia's official Web site:

Right-hander Cory Lidle was acquired by the Phillies for two minor league players, outfielder Javon Moran and left-hander Joe Wilson, and a player to be named later or cash, Vice President & General Manager Ed Wade announced today.
    Lidle, 32, earned the victory yesterday for Cincinnati to bring his record this season to 7-10 with a 5.32 ERA in 24 starts. He is tied for second in the National League with three complete games, and his 149.0 innings led the Cincinnati pitching staff. Lidle has pitched at least 5.0 innings in 22 of his 24 starts and at least 7.0 innings ten times.

Originally signed by Minnesota as a non-drafted free agent in 1990, Lidle has spent parts of seven seasons in the Major Leagues. He is 52-49 with a 4.56 ERA in 205 games (128 starts) for the Mets (1997), Devil Rays (1999-2000), A's (2001-02), Blue Jays (2003) and Reds (2004).

Lidle averaged 11 wins and 190.0 innings from 2000 to 2002 as a starting pitcher for the A's and Blue Jays. In 2001 and 2002, he pitched in the American League Division Series for Oakland.

Moran, 21, was hitting .285 with 18 doubles, nine triples, two home runs and 38 RBIs for Class A Lakewood. The right-handed-hitting outfielder had 39 steals, which ranked fourth in the South Atlantic League, and 73 runs scored, which was ranked fifth in the league. Moran was the Phillies' fourth-round selection in the 2003 draft out of Auburn University.

Wilson, 22, was 4-7 with a 3.64 ERA in 24 games (19 starts) for Lakewood, holding opposing hitters to a .217 average. He was drafted by the Phillies in the 13th round in 2003 out of the University of Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I know he's had a bad year, but as scarce as the pitching market is that's all we got for him?

I'm not going to pass judgement until I do some more research on what we got, but on the surface looks like the Phils got the better of it.
    We should have held out for Floyd.

Re: Lidle traded

What posistion does Moran play?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

41 stolen bases!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Tell me I'm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    41 stolen bases!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    What posistion does Moran play?
    I'm guessing that with that speed he's a CFer. He'd have a pretty weak bat for a corner outfielder.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

So long Lidle, picked a good time to have a good game
    Go Gators!

Tell me I'm Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'm guessing that with that speed he's a CFer. He'd have a pretty weak bat for a corner outfielder.
    So he's another Jason Romano.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    41 stolen bases!

In 57 opportunities!!! 16 times he was caught!!!
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

but on the surface looks like the Phils got the better of it.
    7 weeks of Lidle and then he was history.

Turn your cows into beans Jack, that cow ain't got no milk.

Nothing spectacular, but at first glance it doesn't sound like too bad a deal in exchange for a free agent to be who has mostly struggled for the past couple of months.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Lidle gone?

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    No one special from what it sounds like. An OF named Moran and a pitcher named Joe Wilson. Both going to Dayton. Also a PTBNL.

Pays to have friends in the media sometimes.
    A few clicks...

OF Javon Moran, 21:

http://www.sports-wired.com/players/...asp?Name=DCFEJ

5th-round pick in 2003 out of Auburn. He's hitting .285/.340/.385 with 39 steals in 56 attempts in 101 games for the Low-A Lakewood Blueclaws. 5'11", 175 lbs.- first glance shows him to be your classic jackrabbit, solid on hitting for average but low to mediocre on power and plate discipline.

Dayton does have a shortage of solid OFs behind Chris Dickerson and Cody Strait's possible future- Ben Himes and Kyle Smith are both injured and not doing well, while Jarrod Schmidt was released. Moran slots in well for the remainder of 2004, at least.
    ---

LHP, Joe Wilson, 22:

http://www.sports-wired.com/players/...asp?Name=DGIDI

13th-round pick in 2003 out of U. of Maryland-Baltimore County. He's 4-7 with a 3.64 ERA in 24 games, 19 starts, for the Low-A club. 74 hits in 94 IP, 49 BB, 89 K. Only four homers allowed, very nice. 6'3", 190 lbs., with decent pro numbers in the GCL and rookie leagues to this point.
    ---

Two college draftees with short professional careers to this point. Moran has tools, it seems; Wilson keeps the ball in the park, which along with BB/K ratio is a strong indicator of future success. I like the arm a little better at this point. Along with a PTBNL, again, not the world's worst haul for a FA-to-be pitcher with a 5.3 ERA on a team that needs to look at some more people more than it needs more of that 5.3 ERA.

Turn Off Ads?