Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anti Milton

Re: Anti Milton

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    my summation of the Milton signing

The only thing that bothers about the Milton deal is the out years in 06-07. If this doesn't work and attendance drops they could up trading away their young stars(Dunn adn Kearns I believe) because they don't want to pay them. That's what scares me about the Milton contract. I hope he pitches well in 05 and the Reds are competetive and that they can still afford to pay their young guys. I think 5 years from now baseball will be talking about how good Dunn and Kearns have been, I hope they are still Reds so we can get maximum enjoyment from that.
    If you want to blame signing Milton for losing Dunn and Kearns, maybe you should look a little closer.....how about 12.5 mill a year to JR? How about 27 million down the drain to Larkin.

Milton may just be the next bad deal to mess this franchise up, and I guess you can blame the FO for that, but JR was and always will be the death nell for this franchise in the 2000-2009 range.....no body else's contract compares for sheer lunacy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Banana Man finally opened up the wallet and showed some signs of life. I will not complain. We're actually going into spring training with a potential pitching staff and a little hope. I have no complaints about getting Milton. The Reds probably overspent for him and he may turn out to be a bust. But I needed to see that our owner was finally going to make an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la

Milton may just be the next bad deal to mess this franchise up, and I guess you can blame the FO for that, but JR was and always will be the death nell for this franchise in the 2000-2009 range.....no body else's contract compares for sheer lunacy.
    Maybe in hindsight. But I can't criticize the Jr deal. The Reds were getting the best player in the game, a hometown hero, a guy who looked like a lock to pass
    Ruth and Aaron , at a discount. That seemed like a pretty good investment to me. It just didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Maybe in hindsight. But I can't criticize the Jr deal. The Reds were getting the best player in the game, a hometown hero, a guy who looked like a lock to pass
    Ruth and Aaron , at a discount. That seemed like a pretty good investment to me. It just didn't work out.
    Well we could start another thread to redebate the JR deal. Even with the current 60 mill payroll no winning team puts the percentage of their payroll the Reds did into ONE player, even if it is Ruth.....unless he is pitching....and maybe not even then.

I like the Milton signing because it meant for the first time since he owned the team, Lindner seems willing to spend ON the team for the sake of the TEAM.

Sure, maybe the long road back does end with Milton, maybe it just begins with him and maybe down the road a few years the Reds will sign a true ace.

Good thing the Reds signed Ben WEBER and not Webber. Lets wait until Spring Training is over before trashing the new acquisitions. I swear, some Reds fans can't be happy for two seconds.

Anybody who compares Haynes to Milton clearly doesn't know anythign about baseball. That's just a fact. Milton's knee injury (which has healed) is the reason his ERA was so high. And the guy still nearly won 20 games.

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    No Boss, I was all fired up because the Reds had assembled a rotation full of 200 innings guys.

I simply remember many of us on the old board giving some of our Seattle fans grief because they went out and signed a couple of pitchers who had had 5 plus era's and they thought they were going to be really good.

Well, I think Seattle won their division that year.

I am also a bit perturbed because around here, no guy the Reds get seems to be good enough. If they aren't Johnson or Clemens they have too high of a WHIP or they walk too many guys or they give up too many HR's.

I am not saying this group will lead the league in ERA, or innings pitched per start or anything else. I am just saying that in today's game, a 4.5 ERA or even higher, with a potent offense behind it CAN be competitive.....and since I am sssssooooooo tired of sitting here every February already knowing the Reds are gonna stink, I am going to use a 60 plus mill payroll as an excuse to delude myself into thinking they might just be good....maybe even really good.

If I am nuts, it will be proven soon enough.
    If your Nuts than I Nuts too. I believe this team can win and DanO has put it on the Right track too continue to win. I didn't think the Reds would sign Milton because I thought he was the better pitcher and would end up in New York or big Market team. I still feel that Milton will have a better year than Perez and Clement. That is IMO of Milton and I will stick to it. I am hoping for the best from Ortiz but he is more of a wait and see but I think it was a good gamble and the Reds didn't lose much at this current time. All I can Really say is GGGOOOOOO Redssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    WHAT???

Browning won 20 games with a 3.55ERA as a rookie in '85 and had an ERA of 3.81 or under in 5 of his first 6 seasons.

I must be reading the wrong resume for Milton.
    Obviously you are. Comparing Milton to Browning is perfect. Browning happened to pitch in a pitchers park. Remember, in the World Series Oakland took him yard several times and hit him hard. He probably would have had a 4+ ERA if he pitched in Oakland or Atlanta around that time, just like Milton. Great American isn't nearly the bandbox people make it out to be, that's why I expect Milton to finish with a 3+ ERA.

Turn Off Ads?