Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti Milton

Re: Anti Milton

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    I meant last year......

The Reds now have TWO pitchers who have won 16 games in a year in the ML in their rotation, but I don't heard many folks thanking the FO much.
    Haynes pitched last year and I never thanked the FO for signing him. As a matter of fact I took JBs name in vain that day(more than once after I heard he gave him a player option).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Being a WINNER is also a valid pitcher's ability that I think a guy like Milton brings to the table. It is what I also like about Ortiz.

Sorry, but I just find it much nicer to hoping guys with winning career records come in a do the job for once over the retreads that have wandered through Cincy for the last several years.

I knew we should have traded for Chris George after the 2003 season.

Rich Wortham won 14 games once too. Dan Spillner 16.

Both had era's over 4.50

In case you haven't realized (and I know his numbers have been high) but the Phillies park gives up TONS and TONS of HR's.....the guy still won 14 games.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did Eric Milton give up a lot of homers becuase he pitched in Citizens Bank Park, or did Citizens Bank Park give up a lot of homers becuase Eric Milton pitched there? The problem with Milton is that he gave up more homers on the road (he gave up a lot both at home and on the road), and also had the lowest GB/FB ratio in the majors....by a pretty decent margin. Milton could very well win 15 games this year, but the Reds are going to have to score a ton of runs, since he will likely give up a ton.

That said, even if Jaret Wright had considered pitching in Cincinnati, I don't think he would do that well. I don't think he'll do all that well in New York, unless Leo Mazzone decides to be the Yankees pitching coach.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I meant last year......

The Reds now have TWO pitchers who have won 16 games in a year in the ML in their rotation, but I don't heard many folks thanking the FO much.
    I refer you to Jimmy Haynes once more as evidence of how much weight the "wins" statistic holds.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Not Laughing

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

If the Reds sat on their hands all offseason and acquired no starting pitching, there is an uproar.

If the Reds sign quality lefty starter, then you want a different free agent starter...

I just don't get the hypocrisy...

Let Milton get 15 wins and have a sub-4 ERA and suddenly that signing is looking good to all they naysayers. I can see it now...

Why dont we give Milton a freaking chance to don a Reds uniform before we start hating on him. I seem to remember two other Reds pitchers who gave up a ton of home runs: Tom Browning and Mario Soto. I still say that the Reds had to overpay to get Milton simpley to get him to come here. I think that some of the posters on here live in a fantasy world and believe that players want to sign in Cincinnati for below market value just to play for the Reds. I know of a few players who have done that and you all bash them all he time: Griffey and Larkin.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Damned if you do, damed if you don't...

If the Reds sat on their hands all offseason and acquired no starting pitching, there is an oproar.

If the Reds sign quality lefty starter then you want a different free agent starter...

Let Milton get 15 wins and have a sub-4 ERA and suddenly that signing is looking good to all they naysayers. I can see it now...
    I feel better...I'm not alone -- I thought maybe I was nuts (don't respond to that )

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Why dont we give Milton a freaking chance to don a Reds uniform before we start hating on him. I seem to remember two other Reds pitchers who gave up a ton of home runs: Tom Browning and Mario Soto. I still say that the Reds had to overpay to get Milton simpley to get him to come here. I think that some of the posters on here live in a fantasy world and believe that players want to sign in Cincinnati for below market value just to play for the Reds. I know of a few players who have done that and you all bash them all he time: Griffey and Larkin.
    ...Very well put...

Optimist - Milton will win 15 with sub 4 ERA
    Pessimist - Milton will win 7 with a 5+ ERA
    Realist - Milton will win around 10 games with a 4.50 ERA

Yeah they overpaid based on past history. But he's a lefty with stuff and K's who's turning 28. I haven't been a big DanO fan but this move takes eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    Damned if you do, damed if you don't...

If the Reds sat on their hands all offseason and acquired no starting pitching, there is an oproar.

If the Reds sign quality lefty starter then you want a different free agent starter...

Sub-4 ERA? When's he done that?

I'll be happy if he duplicates his 2000-2002 Metrodome numbers--good peripherals (K/BB, OPS Against, all reasonably solid if unspectacular). 2004-era Greg Maddux solid.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Browning is a a good comparison for Milton, except he burned his arm out with the screwball and Milton is a FB pitcher, and yes LH's develop later than others.

Never say never in baseball...... but when a guy gives up taters and has an era below league average for his career folks are going to look closer at his stuff and where it got them prior to being a Red.

But if you want to read a bunch of cheerleader types of posts everyday you might find that this isn't the place.

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Sub-4 ERA? When's he done that?

I'll be happy if he duplicates his 2000-2002 Metrodome numbers--good peripherals (K/BB, OPS Against, all reasonably solid if unspectacular).
    Nowhere in my post did I say "Based on past numbers & success", nor is it a prediction. I'm just pointing out that if it ever should happen, cause it is soooooooooo far-fetched, watch everybody jump on the bandwagon.

Turn Off Ads?