Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade the offseason.

Grade the offseason.

Ok, everyone all knows how many individuals feel about what has gone on this offseason. Without getting into the specifics again, please provide your grade for what the Reds have done this winter (A-F) with a BRIEF explanation of why.

My grade: B. They had wholes to fill and they went out and filled them with established Major Leaguers rather than hope that a youngster will pan out.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grade the offseason.

C-

Hey, they didn't give up Kearns!!!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

A for effort. C for results.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I agree. Though they didn't go out and pay for big name players, they filled their current needs (3rd base and Bullpin) and improved their starting pitching. They did this without trading the future away(Kearns, Dunn). I say B to B- is a fair rating.

D

They overspent on mediocre talent, potentially precluding LTC's for Dunn and Kearns, and allowing almost no future payroll flexibility with the expensive, underproductive tandem of Graves-Griffey-Casey (not as bad as the others)-Milton.

C

Primer, Turtlewax a new Muffler, some speakers for the back and a eightball gear shift knob. Not pretty, but it gets down the road faster than it looks despite the gas cost and oil leak.

I wouldn't take it across the country though.

C-

They tried to do..something
    Go Gators!

B+.

Look, they needed desperately to address both starting pitching and bullpen issues, and find a bench. They did that. Now they have bought some time to let their younger arms mature without being thrown into the fire right away to start 2005. If Ortiz flames out, or the bullpen vets are less than spectacular, then they can go to the kids after giving them some more time to season.

Unlike most of the this board, I like that they acquired a 29-year-old lefty w/out a history of arm problems. Sometimes guys like Milton pitch their best ball in their 30s.

They are better now heading into spring training than they were when the season ended. In mid-December, I wouldn't have thought that possible. It's a start.

Cruisin' for trouble

B-.

Eddie Murphy put it best. When you're out in the desert and haven't had anything to eat for days, that Ritz cracker tastes great.

Now that we've had a few Ritz crackers, maybe next year we can actually get something a bit more substantial.

C- is being grateful, enough said
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    D
    potentially precluding LTC's for Dunn and Kearns.
    I forgot about that when I gave my grade. That is really upseting, but I would still give the offseason a C+. They dramaticly improved the team (even if it is mediocre). Joe Randa will revent them from rushing Edwin, the new starters will be better than last year's rotation, and the bullpin will be lights out.

C-

Out with the old, in with the old.
    Lots of churn, but precious little cream.

Hey, when the Pirates say you give out ridiculous contracts…
    Makes all the routine posts.

I give it a 7.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I'll give them a "B".

I can see how people complain about the specifics, but considering the wasteland reputation they have, I'm surprised they were able to get Randa, Milton, and Mercker.
    Beats the heck out of last offseason when they "saved" any payflex they had and did nothing with it.

It's already too late to sign Dunn LTC (and save significant $$). Looks like they were determined to go year to year with Kearns as well.. Next year it will likely be too late for him as well. I hope Carl ponies up to keep them until they are free agent eligible though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Wow! Terrible grades. LOL. I'm giving them an A. Adding mucho payroll and filling all needs. A big thing is resigning LaRue, DJ, and not trading away our bench in the big 4 in the OF. Then going out and getting a good 3B and upgrading SS. Not to mention a good lefty and a couple other potential starters along with 3 BP guys. I don't understand how anyone can give the Reds a C or even D as some did. I can see B because there is no front line guy, but I think we upgraded 7 positions. That's unbelievable in my book. When you look at the rest of the division we have done the most. If we only didn't have so far to go.

Tell me guys what would it take to get you an A. Signing Pedro and Schilling! No, really. What would it take. You have to be realistic. YOu know we aren't going to add payroll, but what would have been done differently. Remember, Dunn wouldn't sign Long Term and all pitchers have been WAY overpriced. I say good job Redlegs!

Ok, beat me with a stick now.

Turn Off Ads?