Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

Re: Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    But if he changes his swing and starts trying ot be a contact hitter, then he won't be as good. He's a power hitter, not a contact guy. A lot of his success comes from swinging hard and driving the ball. He is the Reds' best hitter, it doesn't make sense to move him down in the order and limit the number of at bats (as WOY said earlier).
    Bingo.

Give the most PA to the most productive players and your offense does well because you have the most productive players producing more often.

Stewie, you're a credit to your team's fan base.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since I've joined this board we've had about 20-30 threads concerning this matter. I'm all for batting Dunn 2nd for numerous reasons - most of which RedsRule mentions above - as are most of the people who I look for guidance/reality on this board.

But I recall a quote Miley made sometime last year, where he said (roughly), that batting Dunn 2nd in the order would put-off a majority of the fans - the fans who want to see the slugger batting cleanup, or at least 3rd - whether it best fits the team or not. I also recall Dunn saying that he didn't feel comfortable batting that high in the order (I believe this was when he had the short stint as leadoff, not sure). Those are two big reasons why it'll never happen. I wish it would. But it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
    Ok so what would your lineup look like?
    I am glad you asked:

1. D'angelo Jimenez
    2. Adam Dunn
    3. Austin Kearns
    4. Ken Griffey Jr.
    5. Sean Casey
    6. Joe Randa
    7. Jason LaRue
    8. Fillipe Lopez

Jiminez leads off unless Freel is starting at third, in which case he moves to 6th.

Kearns bats 3rd to break up the left handed hitters that the Reds have.

Casey bats 5th because even if though he only has 20HR power he still has an awesome swing and a penchant for driving in runs providing adequate protection for Griffey. If Griffey is out of the lineup Casey bats 4th and Pena bats 5th.

Randa is a poor mans Sean Casey, but still better than LaRue or Lopez/Aurillia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri
    Since I've joined this board we've had about 20-30 threads concerning this matter. I'm all for batting Dunn 2nd for numerous reasons - most of which RedsRule mentions above - as are most of the people who I look for guidance/reality on this board.

But I recall a quote Miley made sometime last year, where he said (roughly), that batting Dunn 2nd in the order would put-off a majority of the fans - the fans who want to see the slugger batting cleanup, or at least 3rd - whether it best fits the team or not. I also recall Dunn saying that he didn't feel comfortable batting that high in the order (I believe this was when he had the short stint as leadoff, not sure). Those are two big reasons why it'll never happen. I wish it would. But it won't.
    Mitri, right now I'll bet you. I'll give you 2:1 odds. Miles was a first year manager last year and doing a little tip toeing. Not to mention all the injuries from last year. He will be more decisive this year.

I will bet you that Dunn gets a healthy dose of 2 hole opportunity at the very least in spring training and if goes well in ST then once season starts he'll be given the same opportunity..............

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    nah...Cabesa is agreeing with RedsRule (his words "nailed it")...and poking fun at guy who said Dunn should not bat 2nd (Larry Cable Guy comment).
    correct

Cabesa seems to be on board with some of us who are not ready to hand over the keys to the city to dunners.
    Not necessarily. He is the an important offensive player on the Reds whose very, very unique set of skills(at this point) make him not a traditional 3,4 hitter(and certainly not the best option for the Reds). He should under no circumstance be placed at 5th or 6th in the order on an everyday basis. I could see batting him 5th/6th against a tough lefty.

As for how good he is, I'm willing to just wait and see what the future holds. However, if he is overpaid at $4M there a number of other hitters on the Reds who are outlandishly more overpaid that that.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Bingo.

Give the most PA to the most productive players and your offense does well because you have the most productive players producing more often.

Stewie, you're a credit to your team's fan base.
    Think we could get him to switch to the Reds for a couple of fans to be named later?

Quote Originally Posted by #RedsRule#
    I am glad you asked:

1. D'angelo Jimenez
    2. Adam Dunn
    3. Austin Kearns
    4. Ken Griffey Jr.
    5. Sean Casey
    6. Joe Randa
    7. Jason LaRue
    8. Fillipe Lopez
    BTW, nailed it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Almost makes me wonder if I have an alter ego posting out there.
    Most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Think we could get him to switch to the Reds for a couple of fans to be named later?
    Forget that. I'll give the Phils two posters to be named now.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Most likely.
    I resent that. I don't know the guy, and this is about the only issue we have seen exactly eye to eye on.

On the other hand it is a little creepy.

Didn't say it was you

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Forget that. I'll give the Phils two posters to be named now.
    :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by #RedsRule#
    Kearns bats 3rd to break up the left handed hitters that the Reds have.
    Just asking, but does anyone else but me think that this concept is highly over-emphasized?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Just asking, but does anyone else but me think that this concept is highly over-emphasized?
    No, not when you look at the splits for a lot of hitters. It can also force an opposing manager to use 3 pitchers instead of just one in a late innning situation

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    It depends on the bullpen your facing. Last year, against the Reds Bullpen, it wouldn't have been too bad to have three lefties in a row - Phil Norton (until they acquired Gabe) was it, and for most of the year teams wanted Phil Norton in the game.

Against Mike Myers, well you wouldn't want three lefties in a row against him.

So, is it overrated - sometimes yes, yes it is. But there are other times when it isn't.

Hows that for a non-answer
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?