Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

Re: Reasons for Adam Dunn to hit 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Just asking, but does anyone else but me think that this concept is highly over-emphasized?
    Depends, if the lefties hit just as well vs righties then yes, if not, then it's a good idea

But..A Dunn needs to be high up, you MUST get him at bats
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    Think we could get him to switch to the Reds for a couple of fans to be named later?
    Thanks, but I think I would have to invoke my no-trade clause. I've waited patiently for Larry Bowa to be canned, and he finally was. I waited for Doug Glanville to be removed from the team, and he was (albeit replaced with Kenny Lofton). And now there are rumors circulating that Ed Wade's job could be in jeopardy if he doesn't deliver this year (which he most likely won't). Once he gets replaced, and then once Dallas Green leaves the organization (which I guess will be when he dies), I'll be able to kick up my feet and ride down easy street.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Thanks, but I think I would have to invoke my no-trade clause. I've waited patiently for Larry Bowa to be canned, and he finally was. I waited for Doug Glanville to be removed from the team, and he was (albeit replaced with Kenny Lofton). And now there are rumors circulating that Ed Wade's job could be in jeopardy if he doesn't deliver this year (which he most likely won't). Once he gets replaced, and then once Dallas Green leaves the organization (which I guess will be when he dies), I'll be able to kick up my feet and ride down easy street.
    We have Casey calling you here in a bit. We'll see if he can't convince you

Riddle me this? How come Dunn bares all the brunt of the strikeout talk? There are quite a few other guys on the team who k'd at a prodigous rate last season with nary the production of Dunn, yet over and over that's passed over like a Barry Manilow Cd in the Used Bin.

Freaking hilarious use of data out there... if that's what is being used to form opinions.

Code:
    Player	K/9	RC/27vsNL	OPSvs league	OBA vs league

Dunn 	2.91 - 	2.92		 .178		 .046	
    Kearns 	3.00 - 	-.96		-.038		-.020
    Pena	3.11 - 	0.29		 .064		-.028
    Lopez	3.26 - 	-.65		-.059		-.027
    LaRue	3.61 - 	-.32		-.013		-.007

I was all for batting Dunn second a few years ago, but now that he's an established major league force, I want him hitting third or 4th.

I'd love to see Kearns in the 2-slot though.

nah, Kearns strikes out too much

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Mitri, right now I'll bet you. I'll give you 2:1 odds. Miles was a first year manager last year and doing a little tip toeing. Not to mention all the injuries from last year. He will be more decisive this year.

I will bet you that Dunn gets a healthy dose of 2 hole opportunity at the very least in spring training and if goes well in ST then once season starts he'll be given the same opportunity..............

I'll take that bet. Miley will use either Lopez or Randa in the 2-slot.

Here's my lineup:

Jimenez (or Freel when playing)
    Kearns
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Casey
    Randa (or second with Kearns sixth)
    Aurilia
    Larue

I wouldn't hit Dunn second because he hits homers. Give two guys the chance to get on before the homer. If Dunn hits second, too many of his homers are solo.

If you hit Dunn before Griffey, he gets good pitches to hit. Griffey is still feared. I prefer Dunn third, rather than fourth. If men are on base, I'd rather have Dunn up with one out than two outs. If he Ks with one out, Griffey makes more contact as a two-out hitter.

I might switch Randa (to second slot) and Kearns (to sixth slot). I'd like Kearns sixth if possible. Just don't know if Randa or Aurilia (or Lopez) at this stage will have a high enough OBP to hit second.

I'd also consider Kearns fifth and Casey sixth to break up the lefty hitters. But right now Casey is so much more consistent and such a superior hitter that I can't see hitting him below fifth. Agree that he should not hit second because he is so slow.

When Pena plays instead of Griffey, then Casey moves to fourth spot, and Pena hits fifth. Or Randa hits second, Kearns fifth and Pena sixth. At this stage don't see Pena hitting higher than fifth slot.

Nice problem to have, how to move around sluggers in middle of lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I'll take that bet. Miley will use either Lopez or Randa in the 2-slot.

I'll take that bet too. My guess is Randa.

I'd far prefer Dunn or Kearns.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

You need to have Kearns break up the 3 LH hitters.

You want your best 4 hitters hitting 2-5, insted of 3-6, so they get more AB's.

So, between Dunn, Casey and Griffey, who's best at 2nd? I'd say Dunn, because he gets on base the most, and has better wheels than the rest.

If you have our 4 best hitting 3-6, and want to use Kearns to separate the LH hittiers, you'll have to bat Casey or Griffey 6th, neither of which is very palatable.

So, the best lineup remains Jiminez,Dunn,Casey,Kearns,Griffey,Randa,Larue and Lopez.

Turn Off Ads?