Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Game Thread

Re: Opening Day Game Thread

Got my Extra Innings set up this morning, I'm ready to go. Let's play two!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can't wait. I am leaving work in a few minutes to head home to watch the game.

Tried to mention this on Saturday's thread about Griffey at # 2, the thread that got locked.

One advantage occurs if, but only if, there is a runner on 1B ahead of Junior and less than 2 outs, say if Jiminez walks, singles, etc...

Then the defense may not shift against KGJ, but instead play for the DP; that may prompt some of Griff's hard grounders to make it through the right side.

If they do shift, the DP becomes more difficult with the 3B guy making the "pivot", or the out-of-position SS taking the feed from an unfamiliar and awkward angle.

Sort of beats the defense by simply hitting Jr. 2nd.

Further, not today perhaps, but when 100%, Griffey was not a base-clogger and may well still go 1st to 3rd better than several other #2 slot options.

Also, batting 2nd will get him more plate appearances over the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East
    Tried to mention this on Saturday's thread about Griffey at # 2, the thread that got locked.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=33019&page=4

It's still open. I think there were duplicate threads, so the second one was closed.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Far East

One advantage occurs if, but only if, there is a runner on 1B ahead of Junior and less than 2 outs, say if Jiminez walks, singles, etc...

Then the defense may not shift against KGJ, but instead play for the DP; that may prompt some of Griff's hard grounders to make it through the right side.

If they do shift, the DP becomes more difficult with the 3B guy making the "pivot", or the out-of-position SS taking the feed from an unfamiliar and awkward angle.

Sort of beats the defense by simply hitting Jr. 2nd.
    Is there a reason this would be isolated to having Jimenez on ahead of Griffey? Couldn't that be said if any batter is on first in front of him regardless of lineup position?

Further, not today perhaps, but when 100%, Griffey was not a base-clogger and may well still go 1st to 3rd better than several other #2 slot options.
    Yeah, he's not the same baserunner he used to be. Ever since his legs started to go, he's been far less adept at taking those extra bases. Now, after an unprecidented hammy injury, I don't question the motor but I do question the wheels. I'd also note that Junior is going to have to deal with impact to that hammy as well because, with Casey hitting behind him, I expect a lot of attempts to break up DP's.

Also, batting 2nd will get him more plate appearances over the long haul.
    It would be better to get either Dunn or Kearns those additional PA's.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Just got home from work 5.45 here I'll be watching this game like every other game this season ON MY OWN No one understands over here .

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    Just got home from work 5.45 here I'll be watching this game like every other game this season ON MY OWN No one understands over here .
    I watch EPL games on Sunday instead of American Football.

I feel your pain.

I assume via MLB.TV internet?

What type of connection do you have all over there?

When I was at Mildenhall, I had dialup with a local company. If I remember correctly, I had to pay 3p per minute for peak hours and 1p per minute during non-peak hours just for the local calls.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Well, Jimenez is a swith hitter.

But, unless you want some poorer hitters separating the LH hitters, what choice is there?

Griffey, Casey, Dunn and Kearns have to hit 2-5 (perhaps 3-6), so you will have a LH group somewhere for sure. If you could suggest a better balance with our best hitters still getting the most AB's I'd like to consider it.
    Our best bets for RH hitters in that #2 hole (when Jimenez is facing a RH pitcher) would be either Kearns or Randa *ducks*.

I'd like to see an expiriment of Jimenez-Dunn-Kearns-Griffey-Casey-Randa at 1-6. I'm surprised no one has talked up Casey for the 2 hole also.

Main point is, I disagree with Junior in the 2 hole. Not enough contact skills to hit there.

And on a bad, bad, bad note........I just got called into work. On Opening Day.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Here's something to chew on... Series Notes.

Griffey is 0-fer vs. Pedro. He's due!

http://www.kget.com/sports/mlb/story...0-003212488CF9

Series Notes: NY Mets (0-0) at Cincinnati (0-0)

(From The Sports Network - All Times Eastern)

PROJECTED PITCHING MATCHUPS

April 4, 2:10 p.m. - Pedro Martinez (0-0) vs. Paul Wilson (0-0)

April 6, 7:10 p.m. - Tom Glavine (0-0) vs. Eric Milton (0-0)

April 7, 12:35 p.m. - Kazuhisa Ishii (0-0) vs. Ramon Ortiz (0-0)

2004 SEASON SERIES: Tied, 3-3

NY METS

Last season, the Mets finished 71-91 and in fourth place in the NL East. That led to Art Howe's departure and the hiring of Willie Randolph, who is on the job as a major league manager for the first time.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya opened the wallet of team owner Fred Wilpon and signed Martinez to a four-year, $53 million contract. Minaya then ironed out a seven-year, $119 million pact with All-Star outfielder Carlos Beltran.

Martinez comes over from the World Series champion Boston Red Sox. The three- time Cy Young Award winner went 16-9 with a 3.90 ERA last season. The 33-year- old had pitched the last seven years for Boston, going 117-37 with the Red Sox, and last season helped the team to their first World Series title since 1918. Unlike the Red Sox, the Mets have not had a winning season since 2001 and last won a division title in 1988.

Mike Piazza is back behind the plate for the Mets, while 2001 Gold Glove winner Doug Mientkiewicz is at first base. Jose Reyes and Kaz Matsui switched positions up the middle of the infield, with Reyes now at shortstop and Matsui at second base. The centerpiece for the Mets though will be Beltran, who hit.267 last year with 38 homers, 104 RBI, 42 steals, and dominated the playoffs, helping Houston to its first ever postseason series triumph.

The Mets have won three of their last four season openers.

CINCINNATI

The Reds enter the season and this three-game series with new hope, as Ken Griffey Jr. and Austin Kearns are healthy again. Paul Wilson will get the start today for Cincinnati. Griffey hasn't played a full season since joining the Reds in 2000, and his outfield counterpart has been in only 146 games over the last two years. Griffey had 20 homers and 60 RBI last year, but tore his hamstring and he's played in only 206 contests over the last three seasons.

The Reds finished 76-86 last season, in fourth place in the NL Central. They were decimated with injuries and spent money in the offseason to upgrade their pitching, signing Eric Milton and trading for Ortiz. They also inked third baseman Joe Randa. The Reds haven't had a winning record since 2000. The big difference in the lineup this year will be at shortstop, as Barry Larkin has retired and is replaced by Rich Aurilia.

Wilson went 11-6 with a 4.36 ERA in 29 starts last season. The righthander, who starts his third season in Cincinnati, is 1-1 in four career games (3 starts) against the Mets.

The Reds have lost five of their last six season openers, not including the 2000 game against the Brewers, which was tied before being suspended.

Griffey is 0-for-12 lifetime against Martinez.
    /r/reds

Hmmm...... a Griffey in the two-hole..... deja vu
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Hmmm...... a Griffey in the two-hole..... deja vu
    If only we had a two-time MVP hitting third behind him. But, hey Case isn't that bad, either.

Red Thunder is in Germany. He understands.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I'm sad that Lopez isn't staring at SS.

I'm glad that Randa isn't hitting in the 2 hole.

KG batting 2nd. wow.

Dunn should be batting 4th. But compared with other potential lineup sins, not bad.

Now let's get this game started and see how long it takes Freel to take DJ's job at 2nd base.

My over/under on Aurelia starting is 24 games.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    My over/under on Aurelia starting is 24 games.
    hope your right on that (-20 games!)
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?