Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Game Thread

Re: Opening Day Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    How many games do you expect where they will have that many K's and still win?

The K's will not be as many in most other games, i know..... but i cannot see them SO this many times and winning most of those type of games.

The Boston Redsox offense scored more runs then any other team in the majors last year. They K'd more then any other team, except for the Reds.

Heck, the Reds scored more runs then 10 teams last year, out k-ing all of them.

It's what you do when you don't make an out that's important..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice game.

Wilson labored as always.

Good to see Ryan Wagner pick it up for the other relievers. That was huge (as mentioned by M2 earlier)

Dunn is a monster.

Austin Kearns looks like the big guy from "my bodyguard" with that hair.

I like Double Plays. (at least when Casey's not hitting into them)

Speaking of Casey, I'm glad he didn't hurt himself on Pedro's pop-up. That's the kind of play that ends guys careers.

Oh, and I hear that Puffy *loves* the Randa singing.

did any1 else wet their pants when randa hit that homerun?????

Quote Originally Posted by adampad
    Yeah, everyone did copy it. Thats why we should name it something besides "the bounce". Something a little more cincinnatish.

"Why should I change my name? He's the one who sucks."
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN
    did any1 else wet their pants when randa hit that homerun?????
    I came close.

I am still grinning. I cannot stop grinning.

I look like Joe Randa.

That darn off-day will be a lot easier to take tomorrow with them at 1-0 instead of 0-1...

I need a day off to recover from this one
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Ugly game. Weathers is embarrasing. The quicker he is out of Cincy, the better. Ditto for Aurilia.

Wilson isn't going to last long this year before a injury sets in. I think last year was his career year.

Quote Originally Posted by adampad
    Yeah, everyone did copy it. Thats why we should name it something besides "the bounce". Something a little more cincinnatish.

How about the Puffy Hop?

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by d2pmr11
    And we would be remiss if someone didn't say thank you Eric_Davis for keeping the faith today.
    I only wish I was in Cincinnati to share it with all the REDS fans there. I'll have to get together with some REDS fans in Portland.

This is going to be a magical year for the REDS. The Big RED Machine is Back.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    your way leads to seasons like he had last year. Me, I'm feeling great about how he was used and how he responded.

after opening day, setup becomes more routine for a young player. You can use him in ever-increasing roles as the season progresses. Soon, you might have a top setup guy.
    He already had that season. Plus, I didn't realize you were primarily concerned about bringing him in that situation on OD. I still say bring in your best pitcher available in a tight game as many times as possible. I consider Wagner one of our best pitchers available in the bullpen right now, therefore I'm gonna put his butt out there to keep the game tied. He's not exactly a rookie.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I need a day off to recover from this one

The reds have decided to not play tomorrow to allow you to recover.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Ugly game. Weathers is embarrasing. The quicker he is out of Cincy, the better. Ditto for Aurilia.

Wilson isn't going to last long this year before a injury sets in. I think last year was his career year.
    Glad you could enjoy the win!
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    It's what you do when you don't make an out that's important..
    Yogi, I didn't know you were a closet REDS' fan?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

N.Y. Mets 6, Cincinnati 7 at Great American Ball Park
    Winning pitcher - Danny Graves (1-0)

Losing pitcher - Braden Looper (0-1)

N.Y. Mets Runs: 6, Hits: 14, Errors 0
    Cincinnati Runs: 7, Hits: 8, Errors 0

HR: NYN: C. Beltran (1) C. Floyd (1) K. Matsui (1) CIN: A. Dunn (2) J.
    Randa (1)
    Cincinnati Record:(1-0)

Next Game: Apr 06, 2005 07:10 PM ET
    Upcoming Home Games:
    vs. Mets, Apr 06, 2005 07:10 PM ET
    vs. Mets, Apr 07, 2005 12:35 PM ET
    vs. Astros, Apr 15, 2005 07:10 PM ET

Read more>>
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...x.jsp?c_id=cin

-----

Reds 7, Mets 6

By Joe Kay
    ASSOCIATED PRESS 2:20 p.m. April 4, 2005

CINCINNATI – Maybe the Mets should have spent a little more of that money on the bullpen.

Adam Dunn hit a tying, two-run homer in the ninth, and Joe Randa followed with a solo shot off Braden Looper that sent the Cincinnati Reds to a pulsating 7-6 victory Monday in front of the largest crowd in Great American Ball Park history.

Dunn also had a three-run homer in the first inning off Pedro Martinez, the only ball hit hard in his six innings of domination. The former Boston ace struck out 12 during an electrifying New York debut.

But the Mets were left standing in place with heads down while Randa raised his fist triumphantly and rounded the bases, providing a last at-bat ending to his first game with the Reds, who struck out 16 times but pulled it out with four runs against the bullpen.

Until that moment, the Mets were feeling good about their offseason overhaul – one that skimped a bit on relievers.

The expensive makeover started paying off immediately. Martinez allowed only three hits and Beltran hit one of New York's three homers, building a 6-3 lead.

The Mets committed $172 million to those two players, giving the Yankees a run for their money when it came to making offseason headlines.

Martinez blew away the Reds and any doubt that at age 33 he can still dominate. After Dunn's first homer, he struck out 12 of his last 14 batters.

He became the fourth pitcher to amass 100 double-digit strikeout games, joining Nolan Ryan (215), Randy Johnson (204) and Roger Clemens (108).

The crowd of 42,794 thought it could get to Martinez by taunting him in the first inning. It should have known better.

Yankees fans tried it in Game 7 of the AL championship series last fall, mocking Martinez with a "Who's Your Daddy?" chant. Martinez had suggested the Yankees were his "daddy" because they beat him so often.

The cheer didn't work at Yankee Stadium – the Red Sox went on to their first World Series title in 86 years. It didn't work in Cincinnati, either, after Dunn's three-run homer put the Reds up 3-1 in the first inning.

All it did was get him pitching like the old Pedro.

The fans broke into the "daddy" chant while Martinez was in the process of fanning Randa to start his strikeout streak. With his fastball snarling in at 94 mph, Martinez didn't allow a hit after the first inning and walked two before letting the bullpen take over in the seventh.

Manny Aybar gave up Jason LaRue's RBI double in the seventh. Looper then let it slip away in only 14 pitches – Austin Kearns' single, Dunn's homer and Randa's final swing.

Beltran hit a two-run homer in the third off Paul Wilson, a former Mets No. 1 draft pick making his first opening day start at age 32. Beltran also singled home the tiebreaking run in the seventh off David Weathers, one of three thirtysomething relievers brought in to shore up one of baseball's worst bullpens.

Beltran, Kaz Matsui and Cliff Floyd had three hits apiece for the Mets. Matsui homered in his first at-bat – the second straight year he's done that – and Floyd hit a two-run homer off Kent Mercker in the seventh to make it 6-3.

Notes: Matsui, a six-time All-Star in Japan, homered on the first pitch he saw as a rookie last year, connecting off Atlanta's Russ Ortiz. ... Batting again in the NL, Martinez made contact in all three plate appearances – a popup and two grounders. ... Ken Griffey Jr. singled though a shifted infield in his first at-bat, breaking his 0-for-12 streak against one of the few pitchers who make him look ordinary. He also walked and struck out twice. ... Griffey stays at seven homers on opening day, one behind Frank Robinson on the career list. ... It was Dunn's 10th career multihomer game.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 04-04-2005 at 05:44 PM.
    /r/reds

Have I mentioned before that I LIKE the Joe Randa signing?

Turn Off Ads?