Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Dunn on the bench - 4/23 Game Thread

Re: Dunn on the bench - 4/23 Game Thread

This offseason reminded me of a JB offseason, instead of really trying to build for thr future, the Reds patch together a starting staff from what scraps were available. Milton was a more expensive scrap than JB was ever allowed to get.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Miley is entering Boone territory with sitting Dunn today and playing Griffey. Regardless of WMP's injury, continuing to play Jr. at this point, esp with a "goofy lefthander" on the mound is worth the
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    And another arcane stat:

31 of the Reds' 67 runs scored to date have plated thanks to a longball. That's 46%.
    I think this is a key point. Believe it or not, the pitching is improved. And will continue to improve as young pitchers come up and guys like Ortiz come back from injury. Remember last year's staff; the pitching is moving in the right direction.

The problem, as I see it, is that the team has only one offensive attribute, power. They strike out too much, lack consistent hitters, have no speed.

Part is attributable to the fact that Griffey, Kearns and Casey are not hitting. That's three supposedly "steady" bats doing nothing. Jimenez too. I am becoming convinced that Freel should play every day. He certainly has shown more offense than most.

I still feel pretty good about this team, but one thing I have decided is that Freel's gotta be the everyday leadoff guy. I really liked Jimenez last year, and thought he may have a break out year this year, but I'm starting to back away from that. He hit pretty well, and was pretty consistent. This year he's still consistent, consistently bad. I realize that it's early, but I'm just not feeling it for him. Freel on the other hand is getting on base consistently, and he's the only threat on the bases. If nothing else he just seems like he's the Reds only spark.

I guess since it is April, hopefully we can continue to at least tread water while Miley makes some tough decisions about who his every day players are. I don't see doom and gloom for this squad just yet, but Miley needs to scrap some of the lineup experimentation and scrap some status quo type thinking to pull it off. Not sure he is the man to do it, though.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I guess since it is April, hopefully we can continue to at least tread water while Miley makes some tough decisions about who his every day players are. I don't see doom and gloom for this squad just yet, but Miley needs to scrap some of the lineup experimentation and scrap some status quo type thinking to pull it off. Not sure he is the man to do it, though.
    He's not.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Not gloom and doom. They may be the 2nd best team in the division. However, they in no way shape or form are set to compete with the Cards.

ws1990reds

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    IMO the only things that could get DanO canned anytime soon is a 100-loss season and if Carl Lindner joins the other shareholders selling the team and they find a buyer.
    M2, I don't know a thing about finances in baseball. What happens if Carl Lindner were to die? Who would get his shares? His fellow shareholders? Or, since his shares are the majority stake, would ALL of the shares be up for grabs? My secret plan is to find someone who is less interested in bananas, to run the show.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Not gloom and doom. They may be the 2nd best team in the division. However, they in no way shape or form are set to compete with the Cards.
    The Cards have plenty of their own holes that will be exposed over a long season.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    The Cards have plenty of their own holes that will be exposed over a long season.
    And what might that be outside of a BP lacking depth? They certainly have a lot less holes than the Red do.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    And what might that be outside of a BP lacking depth? They certainly have a lot less holes than the Red do.
    Middle infield for starters, bullpen doesn't lack depth, it is looking like the 2003 bullpen for them, and their defense overall took quite a hit with the defections. They have a lot of "contact" pitchers like ours that will watch their numbers rise as the defense weakens. Edmonds is a year older. Bench is not as deep. How's that for starters?

BTW, I wasn't comparing their situation to the Reds, I'd still take the Cards over anyone else in the division, but they are shaky at best and could win anywhere from 85-95 games, depending on the mid-season moves Jocketty makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I think this is a key point. Believe it or not, the pitching is improved. And will continue to improve as young pitchers come up and guys like Ortiz come back from injury. Remember last year's staff; the pitching is moving in the right direction.
    So far the Reds have an .838 OPS against. Last year they had an .830 OPS against.

In other words, they're right on pace to repeat last season. Wagner and hopefully Harang are keepers. That's a start, but no way am I calling two guys acquired prior to this regime a direction, let alone a right one.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

with the way our offense is going we need to bunt over every player that makes it to first--other than a few pitchers i dont believe we've bunted 1 player over this season...our pitching isnt the problem..if our offense ever comes alive we'd be fine..it almost seems like the offense is content to get their 2 runs a game and give up after that

Turn Off Ads?