Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: 5/2 Lineups and Game Thread (Pena in RF)

Re: 5/2 Lineups and Game Thread (Pena in RF)

I sit here stunned. I saw the big lead and felt comfortable and then...

I couldn't believe my eyes.

No fan of any team for 40 years should have to endure this. Yet, it happens all the time. I guess I should not feel like a martyr.

Our bullpen pitched 3 innings, allowed 10 (count 'em) hits, 8 runs (only 6 earned thanks to our fielding), walked 2 and struck out 1. That's a pitiful performance. Danny Graves simply has nothing on the ball. It was batting practice when he and Weathers entered the game.

I guess at 10-15 we're lucky, but something must be done. My biggest fear is that Miley will consider this an abboration and continue to put Weathers and Graves out there to end games (notice I didn't say close). My question is if there are any other options. Wagner is iffy of late and we know what the others have done. But, a six run lead?

Folks, I am in shock. I can't remember any bullpen we've ever had that was this bad (and that's saying something if you remember 2004). Surely to the gods in heaven, someone has a plan. Surely the powers that be can do something.

I'm just numb.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I guess I can't fault Sean Casey all that much because he's been saving a whole lot of butts with his scoops for the past four weeks. Seems he just ran out of steam tonight.
    I kind of fall in the middle of you two on this one.

You can't blame Casey for effort, but he did drop key balls that would have ended the game and earlier not allowed a run.

You hate to say he had four hits and that excuses it - I fault his defense as much as Graves malaise in this loss.

I doubt Casey will be complaining about the booing. I bet this loss is eating him up more than anyone, but I agree with jm. He also missed a fairly routine scoop in the 6th from Randa that allowed the second run to score. Casey doesn't do this on a regular basis which is why I have a hard time getting too upset about it. You could see the pain in his face after he booted that last one.

I love Sean as much as the next guy but that play in the 9th really bothered me.
    Whoever the batter was hit it down to him and he played it like a matador. when it skipped over his glove, it was a two base error and the tying run was on second. Get in front of the ball, knock it down , keep the runner at first. Not that it made any difference due to the next gopher ball but this is just laziness and failure to concentrate. I don't see this team much but over the last few years when I do, the lack of intelligence is amazing. Look at Aurilla's pathetic attempt to sacrifice in the ninth. i can always forgive mistakes and errors, just not stupidity and failure to think. (Weathers 2 walks bothered me a lot more than Grave's' gopher balls).

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    I love Sean as much as the next guy but that play in the 9th really bothered me.
    Whoever the batter was hit it down to him and he played it like a matador. when it skipped over his glove, it was a two base error and the tying run was on second. Get in front of the ball, knock it down , keep the runner at first. Not that it made any difference due to the next gopher ball but this is just laziness and failure to concentrate.
    I couldn't disagree with you more.

Sean Casey is far from lazy. It was a mistake... pure and simple. He's saved a lot of others mistakes this season... unfortunately, there's no one to do the same for him on the rare occasions he's needed it so far this year. And as far as concentration is concerned, maybe he was trying too hard... to try to make up for the bullpen... and that's why he missed it. I highly doubt he was out there not concentrating.

If the bullpen hadn't allowed so many hits, this would be a moot point.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?