Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Game Thread - 5/03/05

Re: Game Thread - 5/03/05

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I wondered if I was being hypercritical last night. I'm thinking routine grounder to short, got that booger out, and the cameraman can't even get Rich in the picture.
    Can we say"booger"?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Can we say"booger"?
    You can say it, just don't eat it

Maybe I should have used b**ger?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Pena produced a 1.039 OPS against LHP in 2004. So far in 2005, Pena's hitting .471 against LHP with a 1.118 SLG versus LHP. That's not OPS mind you. That's his Slugging Percentage. His OPS versus southpaws this year is 1.589.

Wily Mo busted a HR in his last pinch hit AB. Wily Mo was born to club LHP in the head. Instead, Miley went with his "contact" guy instead of the power option he should have selected. Randa was the best bet to get one Run across, but Pena was the best bet to get what the Reds actually needed.

Of course, I understand what Miley was doing considering that he's under the impression that Joe Randa is a cleanup hitter. But that just frames how clueless Miley is right now.
    PH with Pena for Randa would make little sense. Firstly, there was only one out, so Pena needed to be saved for Jimenez. Secondly, if Pens had PH, the RH pitcher would surely have come in.

I just can't figure out why Pena would not have PH for Jimenez?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    PH with Pena for Randa would make little sense. Firstly, there was only one out, so Pena needed to be saved for Jimenez. Secondly, if Pens had PH, the RH pitcher would surely have come in.

Aye. That's the real question Puffy. That one has puzzled me for 21 hours now. It still puzzles me.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig

I makes complete sense when you realize that Miley could have just sent Pena to the plate INSTEAD of Randa. Then Randa's available to pinch hit for Jimenez if that's what they wanted to do. There was no reason not to give Pena a shot with the bases loaded and one out. In fact, there were multiple reasons to do so:

1. Higher probability of an extra-base hit. Important when down by three Runs and what's required to tie things up at that point. Not "contact". Not a Sac Fly. Power.
    2. Lower probability of a DP (for a couple reasons)
    3. Instead of Larussa dictating the matchups, Miley had an opportunity to force Larussa's hand.

But instead, Miley got outmanaged (again). The wrong player was put in the wrong situation (again). And the Reds lost (again).
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I makes complete sense when you realize that Miley could have just sent Pena to the plate INSTEAD of Randa. Then Randa's available to pinch hit for Jimenez if that's what they wanted to do. There was no reason not to give Pena a shot with the bases loaded and one out. In fact, there were multiple reasons to do so:

1. Higher probability of an extra-base hit. Important when down by three Runs and what's required to tie things up at that point. Not "contact". Not a Sac Fly. Power.
    2. Lower probability of a DP (for a couple reasons)
    3. Instead of Larussa dictating the matchups, Miley had an opportunity to force Larussa's hand.

But instead, Miley got outmanaged (again). The wrong player was put in the wrong situation (again). And the Reds lost (again).
    See, 21 hours of wondering, and now I don't have to wonder any longer. Thanks Steel. That is the answer.

Turn Off Ads?