Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds Win Share Leaders

Re: Reds Win Share Leaders

Does anyone know if you can find a stat that shows you who the leaders are in drawing a BB in close/late situations. Just curious to see a list of those names.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Does anyone know if you can find a stat that shows you who the leaders are in drawing a BB in close/late situations. Just curious to see a list of those names.
    Go to espn.com hitting stats page click on BB, then choose close and late in the splits.

Code:
    RK	PLAYER		TEAM	AB	HR	BB	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    1	Brian Giles	SD	40	0	19	0.225	0.475	0.300	0.775
    2	J.D. Drew	LAD	37	1	13	0.189	0.423	0.270	0.693
    	Nick Johnson	Was	43	0	13	0.233	0.411	0.349	0.760
    4	Luis Gonzalez	Ari	43	2	12	0.302	0.456	0.512	0.968
    	Lyle Overbay	Mil	46	2	12	0.239	0.407	0.435	0.842
    6	Alex Rodriguez	NYY	40	0	11	0.300	0.462	0.400	0.862
    	Torii Hunter	Min	58	3	11	0.276	0.391	0.517	0.909
    	Travis Hafner	Cle	42	2	11	0.262	0.436	0.476	0.913
    	Joe Mauer	Min	45	1	11	0.200	0.351	0.267	0.618
    10	Hideki Matsui	NYY	35	3	10	0.400	0.533	0.743	1.276
    	Lew Ford	Min	54	0	10	0.352	0.463	0.444	0.907
    12	Moises Alou	SF	35	0	9	0.286	0.432	0.371	0.803
    	Jeff Kent	LAD	48	0	9	0.208	0.350	0.250	0.600
    	Gregg Zaun	Tor	38	1	9	0.263	0.396	0.395	0.791
    	Mark Kotsay	Oak	49	3	9	0.408	0.500	0.653	1.153
    	Richie Sexson	Sea	45	3	9	0.244	0.370	0.489	0.859
    	Randy Winn	Sea	46	0	9	0.239	0.364	0.283	0.646
    	Daryle Ward	Pit	41	3	9	0.268	0.400	0.561	0.961
    	Brady Clark	Mil	49	2	9	0.306	0.433	0.449	0.882
    	Morgan Ensberg	Hou	49	2	9	0.265	0.373	0.469	0.842
    	Adam Dunn	Cin	41	3	9	0.220	0.360	0.537	0.897
    	Chone Figgins	LAA	48	1	9	0.229	0.339	0.333	0.672
    	Brad Hawpe	Col	25	0	9	0.280	0.471	0.400	0.871
    Last edited by rdiersin; 07-12-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    The way I like to look at it, is if you just put the ball in play, most likely the ball won't be hit very hard and will result in an out. Yes, the run may score, but you will only score that one run. If you work a walk, you are setting up the possibility of scoring multiple runs. The same if you wait for a good pitch and get an extra base hit.
    That's not far off what I was wanting to say, but I just didn't quite get it out that way. Putting the ball in play always looks better for that particular at bat if all you're focusing on is the individual at bat, but if you step back and look at the inning as a whole or even more, how those probabilities play out over the course of the season, you will get a different picture. That's what I see a lot of on here-people who only focus on the individual at bats, people who always analyze the big picture, and some of us who enjoy reading the dialogue and jumping in every now and then.

I can see the value in what the small ball advocates say, and I can see the other side. Small ball has its place in certain situations where one run will end the game or get you even in the late innings, but the other approach is prefereble in the other situations. There is room for both strategies, depending on where you are in the game and what the score is.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Go to espn.com hitting stats page click on BB, then choose close and late in the splits.
    Thanks, rdiersin. I was curious as to who would show up on the list. To me this list signifies players that don't try to make something happen if nothing is given to them to hit. Does anyone else see it that way?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

To me this list signifies players that don't try to make something happen if nothing is given to them to hit. Does anyone else see it that way?
    Yep, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Yep, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.
    Yes, but you can make Chicken *** out of Chicken Salad. It just takes about 12 hours.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Thanks, rdiersin. I was curious as to who would show up on the list. To me this list signifies players that don't try to make something happen if nothing is given to them to hit. Does anyone else see it that way?
    Yeah, I agree with you there. The one that is interesting (or surprising) to me is Chone Figgins. He has 30BB on the season and 9 of those are in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Yeah, I agree with you there. The one that is interesting (or surprising) to me is Chone Figgins. He has 30BB on the season and 9 of those are in this category.
    Figgins is a fascinating player. I get the distinct impression he'd be drawing a good number of walks were he not employed by the Angels.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    For those who don't find any particular enjoyment in statistical evaluation, it doesn't make you any less a fan. It's just not everyone's cup of tea. That's totally fine. But if you don't understand something, and don't care to understand something, you shouldn't go around criticizing the thing you don't understand.
    I sort of understand what you are saying there.

But, by the same token. And let me pull my Tracy Jones' pants out for this one. Those that never played past tee-ball(not saying you did or didn't MWM) don't have an appreciate for what goes on during the course of a ball game or during the course of a season. The game has many emotions. Stats cannot begin to measure any emotion involved with the game. The deep and deeper you go into these stats the less real the game is. Clutch hitting for one thing is very very difficult to measure. Joe Oliver's career stats I'm sure are nothing to write home about, but it seemed like everytime a hit was needed in a big situation he came through.

The game is played on the field. Not on a sheet of paper. A player like Ryan Freel will never be in the hall of fame or never have the stats to end up on any list except for SB's. I'd take a team full of Ryan Freels and beat your team of over price super star cry babies any day of the week.

That is the one thing the reds of lacked this year for the most part is emotion. Maybe that's why they are in last place right now. Stats can't measure that, so go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    I sort of understand what you are saying there.

But, by the same token. And let me pull my Tracy Jones' pants out for this one. Those that never played past tee-ball(not saying you did or didn't MWM) don't have an appreciate for what goes on during the course of a ball game or during the course of a season. The game has many emotions. Stats cannot begin to measure any emotion involved with the game. The deep and deeper you go into these stats the less real the game is.
    To you. The more statistics become involved, the less real the game is to you. No one else. You. You're speaking only about yourself. The game is no more, or less, real to anyone but you. Once you admit that and stop superimposing your preference as the way it "should" be, you might find you're more interested in learning about the game.

That's your preference and you're entitled to have it. But don't try to equate an understanding of performance metrics with not having an understanding of all other facets of the game of baseball.

Clutch hitting for one thing is very very difficult to measure. Joe Oliver's career stats I'm sure are nothing to write home about, but it seemed like everytime a hit was needed in a big situation he came through.
    Did he or didn't he? Don't really care whether or not he "seemed to". I want to know whether he did or didn't. Can't or can. Fact or fiction. That's the difference. The fact that you don't seem to care whether or not something is true doesn't protect you from being wrong if you are, in fact, wrong.

The game is played on the field. Not on a sheet of paper.
    Statistics are historical records of game events that allow us to better understand what actually happened instead of what "seemed" to happen. Those statistics allow us to better understand what actually DID happen and give us more insight into what's most likely to happen in the future.

You're right- baseball isn't played on a sheet of paper. But it's not played in your head either.

A player like Ryan Freel will never be in the hall of fame or never have the stats to end up on any list except for SB's. I'd take a team full of Ryan Freels and beat your team of over price super star cry babies any day of the week.
    Ryan Freel has a .406 On Base Percentage. That's a fact and it's what makes him valuable. That's skill. Not emotion.

Juan Castro plays with emotion. That's also a fact. You gonna take a team of Juan Castros up against a team of much higher Run Value players? How about nine Juan Castros vs. a team of nine Ryan Freels?

If not, then you've just backed yourself into a decision based on performance- not emotion.

That is the one thing the reds of lacked this year for the most part is emotion. Maybe that's why they are in last place right now. Stats can't measure that, so go figure.
    The one thing the Reds have lacked this season is pitching. Their performance tells me so. Historical record of game events. Statistics.

No amount of emotion is going to get bad pitchers to pitch like good pitchers. Emotion is not a substitute for skill. Never has been.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

MUgrad, I don't know what you're doing with Tracy Jones' pants, but I suggest you burn them.

"Don't touch it. It's pure evil."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    To you. The more statistics become involved, the less real the game is to you. No one else. You. You're speaking only about yourself. The game is no more, or less, real to anyone but you. Once you admit that and stop superimposing your preference as the way it "should" be, you might find you're more interested in learning about the game.

That's your preference and you're entitled to have it. But don't try to equate an understanding of performance metrics with not having an understanding of all other facets of the game of baseball.

Did he or didn't he? Don't really care whether or not he "seemed to". I want to know whether he did or didn't. Can't or can. Fact or fiction. That's the difference. The fact that you don't seem to care whether or not something is true doesn't protect you from being wrong if you are, in fact, wrong.

Statistics are historical records of game events that allow us to better understand what actually happened instead of what "seemed" to happen. Those statistics allow us to better understand what actually DID happen and give us more insight into what's most likely to happen in the future.

You're right- baseball isn't played on a sheet of paper. But it's not played in your head either.

Ryan Freel has a .406 On Base Percentage. That's a fact and it's what makes him valuable. That's skill. Not emotion.

Juan Castro plays with emotion. That's also a fact. You gonna take a team of Juan Castros up against a team of much higher Run Value players? How about nine Juan Castros vs. a team of nine Ryan Freels?

If not, then you've just backed yourself into a decision based on performance- not emotion.

The one thing the Reds have lacked this season is pitching. Their performance tells me so. Historical record of game events. Statistics.

No amount of emotion is going to get bad pitchers to pitch like good pitchers. Emotion is not a substitute for skill. Never has been.
    Man,

If everything were all about stats would the Yankees not win the World Series every single year?? Let's go on historical statistics, should the Yankees not be up to win 60 by now?? Guess what, they aren't.

The only stats the matter are Wins and Loses. For the indivdual player the only stat that matters is what Hall of Fame Voters look at such as HR, BA, W, ERA, etc.

And, I do study the game when I watch. I pay attention to the pitcher and what pitch he is throwing and at what velocity. Granted its hard to tell what a pitcher is throwing on TV or at the park if you are in the 400 level. But, watch a good pitcher and be amazed by the movement. While you are scratching down on your scorecard and typing data into your computer and receiving that data back, I'm being amazed by a particular pitcher or that diving catch or how dang far that batter hit the ball.

And to compare Juan Castro and Ryan Freel is not in the same league, come on now. And, I doubt there are many players that play with the heart and passion that Freel does. Cassey probably does and I'd take him on my team anyday despite his short commings.

And, yes, I agree you can't substitute skill for anything no matter what. A player like Ryan Freel doesn't have the skill as a good number of MLB players and I'd say he barely has the skill to even be an MLB player, but because he plays all out all the time, he accomplishes more. Just imagine if Dunn or Griffey played that hard. Although to Griffey's defense I don't blame him.

This team would be a lot better of with some pitchers I agree. Maybe with some better pitching the morale on this team would be a lot better as would the emotion involved.

The same players that you would take with your top 20 based on your stats may be very well be the same players that I take based on my 2 eyeballs. Its just a different means to an end.
    Last edited by 2001MUgrad; 07-13-2005 at 04:50 PM.

The Yankess don't put up the best stats. Usually the teams who generate the best portfolio of performance metrics wind up with the most Wins and Losses. As a matter of fact, the variation is very little when it comes to the stats a teams generates and their W-L record. Not sure where you came up with the Yankees argument, but it's not valid.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    Man,
    The only stats the matter are Wins and Loses.
    I think that sabrmetrics doesn't necessary argue against that. In one season, yes, that is what matters. However, sabrmetrics is more geared towards forcasting how a player or team will perform in the future. Case in point, take run differential. It has shown to be a very consistent tool to show how a team will perform in the future, not how it has performed. If a team significantly under-performs its run differential, then it has a tendancy to improve. However, if a team significantly over-performs its run differential, it tends to regress.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    The Yankess don't put up the best stats. Usually the teams who generate the best portfolio of performance metrics wind up with the most Wins and Losses. As a matter of fact, the variation is very little when it comes to the stats a teams generates and their W-L record. Not sure where you came up with the Yankees argument, but it's not valid.
    I'm looking at the past with the Yankees. Look at their players. Yes, this year they aren't putting up numbers like say the BoSox, but you have what 4 MVP winners in the starting 8?? Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but never the less. How many future Hall of Famers?? Its safe to say more than any other current team. I'm going on past stats to form a conclusion that the Yankees should be far and away better than anyone else.

A 162 game season makes it hard to have enough data because teams change so much from year to year.

So on 1 hand you are wanting to use historical stats to form conclusions, but on the other hand you want to back up and only take into consideration this years stats. Well, which is it?? Do past stats count when making predicitions on how a team will do in the comming season?? Or are you wanting to play half the season and use this years stats to predict who will in the rest of the way??

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Turn Off Ads?