Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: July 20th - Reds vs. Cubs

Re: July 20th - Reds vs. Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I don't know how folks can ride WMP. The dude has phenomenal numbers for a 23 year old and will be at least an average outfielder one day. But as has been pointed out many times, his BA driven game will result in some ugly slumps.
    That's the thing: his numbers pretty much say he's going to be a slightly above average right fielder.

But people get misty-eyed at his power around here and simply refuse to see the buckshot holes in his game.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    now back to your regularly scheduled channel

[Harry Carey voice]

Reds win!! Reds win!!

[\Harry Carey voice]

My college roommate at Ohio University was a Cubs fan from the Chicago area. (Which was OK back then, because the Reds were in the NL West, and the Cubs were in the NL East. Obviously someone in the Commissioner's Office flunked geography.) He was the impetus behind me getting to go to Game 4 of the 1990 NLCS in Pittsburgh. He says to me at 4:00 that afternoon, "Wanna go to the game?" I said, "The game starts in four hours!" He said, "So?" I said, "We don't have tickets." He said, "No problem. We'll find them when we get there." So I said, "Let go!" I repaid him the following season by getting blue seats near the visiting dugout when the Cubs were in town. It was the first time he had seen the Cubs since leaving Illinois before coming to OU. (He lived in Athens year-round, because he had a part-time job related to his major.)

Anyway, he did a really great Harry Caray imitation, and he taught it to me. It's been a long time since I tried it, but seeing your post reminded me of it. Thanks!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

"I know a cat named way out Wily"

Wily Mo's game gets better every year. Adam Dunn's crazy productive. Jr. works like a dog and produces whenever he plays. OTOH, Kearns has scuffled in the majors for two seasons.

Austin's got a lot of work to do to get his game back in shape. I don't care if he jiggles if he produces either, but he hasn't produced in a while and I'm doubtful a return to the kind of productivity we should expect is in the cards for this season. Maybe he'll put together a pretty September, though I'm not sure that would be a good thing. I'd prefer his heading into the offseason with a mania to prove himself rather than thinking he's already got his game back in order.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Reds Zone Forum ... "I love you man"

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Wily Mo's game gets better every year. Adam Dunn's crazy productive. Jr. works like a dog and produces whenever he plays. OTOH, Kearns has scuffled in the majors for two seasons.

Austin's got a lot of work to do to get his game back in shape. I don't care if he jiggles if he produces either, but he hasn't produced in a while and I'm doubtful a return to the kind of productivity we should expect is in the cards for this season. Maybe he'll put together a pretty September, though I'm not sure that would be a good thing. I'd prefer his heading into the offseason with a mania to prove himself rather than thinking he's already got his game back in order.
    Right now, Wily Mo is producing the EXACT OPS from last year...and heading down.

I'm REALLY not sure where the "improvement mythos" vis. Pena is coming from. I see the same player.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Have you seen Wily's June and July numbers?

Cueing Steel? Steel?

There is NO substitute for talent. I hate polishing rough rocks.

Give me a team of surly J.D. Drews anybleepinday.
    Eh, anyone who cares enough can just look those splits up on espn.com.

Fact is that I've always supported Wily Mo Pena. Never wanted to waive him. I've always felt that his monster tools indicated that he may be a unique case of someone who can go from raw to raging. His speed allows him to supplement his BA and his IsoP allows him to overcome some of his OBP deficiency. At minimum I've always felt that Pena- even if he never realized his tools-based potential- is a valuable resource that teams will overpay to get.

That being said, I've also been very very realistic about what Pena needs to work on. Right now, he's Mr. Swing at Everything. Tonight was a great example of that. Pitchers will continue to throw him multiple "sucker" pitches knowing that he'll get himself out with regularity. The one thing I wanted to see from Pena this year is more of a clue about what not to swing at. Unfortunately, he's actually regressed in this area without any advancement in his Isolated Power or Secondary Average numbers.

In short, he's stuck right now and spiraling fast. He's the kinda guy who can get hot and turn it around, but folks need to understand the indicators and, IMHO, should temper their enthusiasm a bit- at least until he demonstrates some ability (any) to improve his plate discipline because, right now, it's awful.

He's 23 and still might be able to do that, but with his skill set it's going to be dependent on scaring pitchers into helping him out. And they are trying. He just won't let them help.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Right now, Wily Mo is producing the EXACT OPS from last year...and heading down.

I'm REALLY not sure where the "improvement mythos" vis. Pena is coming from. I see the same player.
    It's coming from years of him improving though you're right his recent slump has taken his numbers back to last year's levels. We'll see if the yo-yo heads back up soon. For my part, I long ago stopped assuming this kid can't step up.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

That's the thing: his numbers pretty much say he's going to be a slightly above average right fielder.

But people get misty-eyed at his power around here and simply refuse to see the buckshot holes in his game.
    My "average outfielder" reference was related to defense. I think he will have an above average career at the plate overall, with impressive power numbers.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    My "average outfielder" reference was related to defense. I think he will have an above average career at the plate overall, with impressive power numbers.
    When his performance matches his Paul Bunyan reputation, I'll tip my cap and chow some crow. It's yet to happen.

Paul Bunyan
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?