Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uniform Article: A Vested Interest In Sleeveless Jerseys

Re: Uniform Article: A Vested Interest In Sleeveless Jerseys

I agree with much of what many of you are saying. I'm already on record as favoring a return to the look of 1968-71. Hopefully the day will finally come when those or something really close grace the turf of Great American Ballpark.

It looks like at one team is retiring its sleeveless jerseys after this season: the Kansas City Royals. Word is they will also drastically scale back (if not completely remove) the amount of black in their sets, as well. They will be using gold with their royal blue, and there's even the possibility that they'll bring back their powder uniforms as an alternate! This comes from email correspondence (not mine) with Jeffrey Flannagan, the author of the article below.

Will this signal a trend away from sleeveless jerseys and black?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/12192520.htm

Posted on Fri, Jul. 22, 2005

Royals about to pull plug on sleeveless uniforms for next season

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

We hear that those new-look Royals uniforms the club introduced for the 2002 season are about to go through another dramatic makeover.
    In fact, Royals vice president of communications David Witty confirmed the team is strongly considering abandoning the sleeveless uniforms, both home and away, as well as cutting back on the amount of the color black that was introduced in ’02.

“We would like to get back to the more traditional look of the Royals,” Witty said. “We tried something a few years ago, and now we feel we just got away from the Royals tradition a bit and want to get back to it.

“The other problem with the look was with the sleeveless uniforms, you had players wearing short-sleeve or long-sleeve undershirts with them, and it just didn’t give a uniform look to the team.”

There also have been whispers that the team was close to tossing out the black scheme altogether, and going with more gold.

“I think we’ll be cutting back on the black, but it will still be a part of the plan,” Witty said. “The new look we will have I’m sure will be very popular with the fans. It’s going to look a lot more like we used to look.”

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The only reason black was added to the Reds' uniforms was to sell more stuff. My secretary has a friend who works at Lids--the cap store (or did. I think they closed recently). Anyway, he says that when the Reds came out with their new design, they couldn't keep the caps in stock--especially the one with the black crown and the red bill. Kids loved them. He said it was still a best seller. I keep seeing these rap artists on MTV (just passing through) wearing Reds' caps and that helps sales.

He also said that the regular caps--no flash are order-only items these days. Unless you've got a catchy logo (Cleveland Indians, Seattle Mariners, Chicago Cubs--I know) you don't sell caps unless the cap has some flash. I'd say put Mr. Red on there, but that would be hideous.

Bottom line is $$. The Reds and MLB get royalties from the sales of clothing. The more you sell, the more money you make. Thus, black.

I doubt you'll ever see the Reds again in all white uniforms with only red trim. I only liked the ones used in the beginning with the red pinstripes anyway, and despised the BRM plain white doubleknits. So, this is OK with me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Go Gators!

I made an error on my previous post--I had the location of the logo and number reversed on the home uniforms. Here are the corrected designs:

Plan A
    Home: White sleeveless uniforms (with or without pinstripes--preferably without), C-Reds logo on left breast, red number on right breast, red sleeves, solid red cap

Alternate Home #1: White sleeveless uniform (as above), black sleeves, black cap with red bill

Alternate Home #2: Red sleeved jersey with white pants (pants with or without pinstripes, as above), C-Reds logo on left breast, white number on right breast, solid red cap

Away: Gray sleeveless unforms with black trim around armhole, "CINCINNATI" in red arched block letters, red number offset below on left side, red sleeves, red cap with black bill

Alternate Away #1: Gray sleeveless uniforms (as above), black sleeves, black cap with red bill

Alternate Away #2: Red sleeved jersey (same as Alt. Home #2) with gray pants, red cap with black bill

Plan B
    Go back to the 1970 uniforms. One solid red cap, one home white uniform, one road uniform. (But an alternate look that is inspired by the 50's and 60's.)

Home: White sleeved uniform, C-Reds logo on left breast, red number on right breast, solid red cap.

Home Alternate: White sleeveless uniform, Mr. Redlegs head on left breast, red number on right breast, red sleeves, white cap with red bill.

Away: Gray sleeved uniform, "CINCINNATI" in red arched block letters, red number offset below on left side, solid red cap.

Away Alternate: Gray sleeveless uniform with black trim around armhole, "CINCINNATI" in red arched block letters trimmed in black, red number trimmed in black offset below on left side, red sleeves, gray cap with red bill (red C trimmed in black).

Regardless of which plan is implemented, the pants should be worn at the proper height to display the socks (stirrups, preferably) as they are supposed to be.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-24-2005 at 01:27 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

The pinstripes on the home uni's have got to go.

Turn Off Ads?