Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone play MVP 2005

got alil captain in u?

Re: Anyone play MVP 2005

the first thing i do is trade danny graves to any takers for whatever couple minor leaguers usually works

2. Turn Off Ads?

i had to turn make it so all teams would accept anything i threw at them in order to get rid of Graves. heck, even offered him to the Mets for their lowest A player. they weren't biting.

i'm thinking of going through the rosters, and doing some of my "best guess" work for who the actual players being represented in the lower minors. i've been trying to go for a bit of realism, and knowing who is who would be quite helpful.
    have done a couple searches, and so far, i have only been able to find the usual suspsects...so and so is EE, so and so is Coffey, so and so is Bailey. could be a bit of work, but hey....realism is realism.

<---tosses his Strat-O-Matic baseball game in the trash...........
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    <---tosses his Strat-O-Matic baseball game in the trash...........
    Don't do that.... good game strat is, ain't a player sim but lets you manage.

Baseball Mogul or Diamond Mind?

I bet Boyds says DM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    i had to turn make it so all teams would accept anything i threw at them in order to get rid of Graves. heck, even offered him to the Mets for their lowest A player. they weren't biting.

i'm thinking of going through the rosters, and doing some of my "best guess" work for who the actual players being represented in the lower minors. i've been trying to go for a bit of realism, and knowing who is who would be quite helpful.
    have done a couple searches, and so far, i have only been able to find the usual suspsects...so and so is EE, so and so is Coffey, so and so is Bailey. could be a bit of work, but hey....realism is realism.
    I thought only the best top 100 prospects were actual players in the game with different names?

If you google the game and prospects, there are lots of lists out there compiled of who's who in the minor league top 100 prospects. You can also edit player appearence and attributes so I went through and used a list of the Reds top 40-50 prospects and tried to make them similar on the game (I'm a loser, I already know). If you have the computer version, there are also patches you can download and install that people have gone through and updated all the rosters and added all of the minor leaguers. Try mvpmods.com for these.

Yes, I do. I was quite obsessed with that game for a while! I started out with the Reds and did really well -- Milton was a potential Cy Young candidate, Jimenez was putting up monster numbers...

Then I realized this wasn't a fair fight, so I took over the Devil Rays. I kept their roster intact and went up against the Sox and Yankees. Again, my team did really well. (Of all people, Joey Gathright is my fave player in the game.)

Question: why is Kevin Millar absent from the game? Instead, you get some dude named Anthony Friese with a bad dye-job.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    Yes, I do. I was quite obsessed with that game for a while! I started out with the Reds and did really well -- Milton was a potential Cy Young candidate, Jimenez was putting up monster numbers...

Then I realized this wasn't a fair fight, so I took over the Devil Rays. I kept their roster intact and went up against the Sox and Yankees. Again, my team did really well. (Of all people, Joey Gathright is my fave player in the game.)

Question: why is Kevin Millar absent from the game? Instead, you get some dude named Anthony Friese with a bad dye-job.
    Millar isn't the only one missing. There is Bonds as well. I think it has something to do with players not belonging to the MLBPA. Initially I found the game to be a bit too easy, so I just bumped up the difficulty and adjusted the sliders a bit so the gameplay is a bit more realistic. I knew when Jim Coombs (actual created player on my team!) hit 85 homers, it was time to make some changes.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Millar isn't the only one missing. There is Bonds as well. I think it has something to do with players not belonging to the MLBPA. Initially I found the game to be a bit too easy, so I just bumped up the difficulty and adjusted the sliders a bit so the gameplay is a bit more realistic. I knew when Jim Coombs (actual created player on my team!) hit 85 homers, it was time to make some changes.
    you mean John Dowd isnt real?

Its a very good baseball game. Adjust the sliders and difficulty and it is realistic. Too bad it's the last EA MLB game for a long time. Sega will make the only one. I have heard rumblings about EA making a College Baseball game..

I played the Reds, kept the roster in tact and won the world series. now I play the Orioles and actually traded for Sosa. Current record is 67-21 with a ton of simmed games. I only play games vs. top teams. My record vs. the cpu is like 29-12 on All-star level

Yes I play MVP and I'll have my fantasy roster up on here soon. I'm not that good at hitting (I find it tough to hit homeruns with Dunn and Griffey) but I'm getting better. I'm gonna try adjusting the sliders like you guys suggested, the game is pretty unrealistic, especially with the pitching. My starting pitchers usually only throw like 50 pitches per game! And if anyone has any hints on hitting, I'd really appreciate it, I just find it so frustrating that I've only hit 2 homers with Dunn since I've gotten the game.

I just finished season #1. I passed the Cards in the last week to take the divison. I only played one game out of every series.

- Milton won the Cy Young with 22 wins and an ERA under 2.00.
    - Freel won the batting title with a .358 average. He also hit 15 bombs but stole only 17 bases (caught 14 times...)
    - Casey hit more homers than either Dunn or Griffey (38)
    - Dunn K'd 240 times. I'm impatient...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Don't do that.... good game strat is, ain't a player sim but lets you manage.

Baseball Mogul or Diamond Mind?

I bet Boyds says DM.

I'm not that old...but I'm not a "gamer".

There is nothing, nothing like toss two dice onto the floor and getting a random number letting you know what your player did.

I must say, I'm intrigued about online "sim-type" leagues that the games are played with out operators and letting you be GM types and stuff

That's why I like fantasy baseball over computer video-type games.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

If anyone is interested, here's a list of updated guys for the game who've been called up since opening day

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f...l_2005_cap.txt

It includes the created guys not in the game like Gardner, Bergolla, Coffey, Shackleford, Keisler, etc

Now this file has the rosters to begin the season, with player edits and updates

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f..._2005_edit.txt

I'd bookmark both of those if you're into roster accuracy.

I'm in the middle of my 3rd season as the Royals. I've won the AL Central 2 years running, but were dumped by the Bo Sox in both years in the playoffs.

My lineup is

C- John Buck - (Develops into a 25-30HR a year Stud BTW)
    1B - Mike Sweeney
    2B - Ruban Gotay
    SS - Chris Ainsworth - Game created Free Agent at the start of the game
    3B - Mark Teahen
    LF - Rocco Baldelli
    CF - Brad Wilkerson
    RF - Tim Mauer - Another Game Created Free Agent at the start
    DH - Ken Harvey

P - Brandon Webb
    P - Denny Baustista
    P - Zack Greinke
    P - Dennis Tankersley
    P - Danny Haren
    SU - Mike MacDougal
    SU - Jose Capellan
    CL - Jeremy Affeldt

I signed Webb and Baldelli, along with free agents at the beginning of the franchise. My AAA squad has been great for trades thanks to a bevy of guys I signed right off the bat. Trades netted me Capellan, Haren & Wilkerson, along with Gavin Floyd, who is my long reliever.

I like it - but a time crunch has left me w/o playing it for the last few weeks.

P.S. Why do these ballplayers in MVP get so mad at you in this game? I had Austin playing right field every day, batting fourth, and I'd just given him a 3-year deal worth $1M per. And he still complained about his playing time...

Quote Originally Posted by realreds1
    P.S. Why do these ballplayers in MVP get so mad at you in this game? I had Austin playing right field every day, batting fourth, and I'd just given him a 3-year deal worth $1M per. And he still complained about his playing time...
    Amen, I had the same thing happen with Adam Dunn. Of course, Danny Graves complained too so I just flat out released him.

I'm going to start my season over after my first year, and I have created all of the players based from that website. I have been using Luke Hudson at the back of my bullpen with Ryan Wagner as my setup man.

Finished my first year the other day, World Series champs.

Like someone else said, I couldn't hit any HR's with Dunn, so I shiped him, Harang, and the Fuentis guy to the Twins for Johan Santana and Joe Mauer (fair trades were on). I think Dunn won MVP in the AL, but Johan is lights out. In year two his fastball is up to 99mph and I got a 100 a few times. Mauer is a good average hitter, but I can't hit many HR's with him either. Kearns and Pena on the other hand are massive sluggers. Hit 50 with Pena and 48 with Kearns.

I made some trades when I first started:
    C - Mauer
    1B - Casey
    2B - Freel
    SS - Jimmy Rollins
    3B - EdE
    LF - Pena
    CF - Jr
    RF - Kearns
    With Santana, Wilson, Milton, Ortiz, and a platoon of Hudson and Felix Hernandez as the 5th (got Hernandez pretty cheap, can't remember for who though, fastball hits 100mph in year 2).

After winning the series, made some more changes. Traded Rollins for Rafael Furcal (tired of Rollins weak arm), signed Rocco Baldelli (he kills LHP) to eventually replace Jr, and made Wagner my closer.

Turn Off Ads?