Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Game thread 8/12

Re: Game thread 8/12

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Yeesh, I just read about half of this thread, and it's making my head hurt.
    I read it and I thought the Reds lost...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Yeesh, I just read about half of this thread, and it's making my head hurt.

Kearns reported to spring training overweight and out of shape. He got what he deserved in his demotion to AAA. And it apparently worked. He lost weight, got his stroke back on track, and is steadily improving. It doesn't happen overnight.

He screwed up. He got called on it. He's trying to turn it back around, and it looks to me like it's working.

It took weeks to get out of shape, and it will take weeks to get back to where we want him.
    Just a little perspective on how bad Kearns has been: in 100 fewer ABs Javier Valentin has 1 (ONE!) fewer walk than Kearns (23/22).

I don't know about everyone else but I see the same player that got demoted in June. Except now his status in the eyes of other GMs is lower.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 08-13-2005 at 10:03 AM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Wouldn't it be better to break Booker in in middle relief?
    maybe ... but the Reds are loaded with middle relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    maybe ... but the Reds are loaded with middle relievers.
    If the Todd Jones trade taught me anything, it's that if you have a cheap, producing veteran in the bullpen, keep 'em. Or DanO will trade him for Javon Moran or whatever that dude's name is (whom we don't need at all). Booker, if he has the goods to close, can take the Lidge route--kick down the door to the closer's role.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

If the Todd Jones trade taught me anything, it's that if you have a cheap, producing veteran in the bullpen, keep 'em.
    if the Reds go onto 2006 with Weathers in closer role it will be a big mistake, especially if there is no Lidge waiting to kick down the door.

Just a little perspective on how bad Kearns has been: in 100 fewer ABs Javier Valentin has 1 (ONE!) fewer walk than Kearns (23/22).
    So what it's 100 ab's.

If you have top take a smalll sample size to beat up on his game through his walk rate then you are reaching IMO.

1 walk every 11 ab's since he came back... in 100 ab's that is a difference between 9 walks and 12.

One day with a Luke Hudson can tweak that ratio.

Before this year he averaged 1 walk every 8.75 ab's

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    So what it's 100 ab's.

If you have top take a smalll sample size to beat up on his game through his walk rate then you are reaching IMO.

1 walk every 11 ab's since he came back... in 100 ab's that is a difference between 9 walks and 12.

One day with a Luke Hudson can tweak that ratio.

Before this year he averaged 1 walk every 8.75 ab's
    Look, I don't think Kearns is dogcrap. I think he could pull it together. I've defended the guy's abilities for the last two plus seasons against people who have argued that he's brittle (when, in fact, he suffered contact injuries), people who say he's overhyped (when I saw his ability to take a walk set him apart from "gamers" like Pena). So I know what Kearns is made of. But defending this season of his is next to impossible. He is all kinds of screwed-up, IMO. I think a change of scenery will do him good (and I don't normally put much stock into nebulous things like "change of scenery"). But I have a sneaking suspicion that he would be destroying the ball if his jersey read "Atlanta."

Look, I don't think Kearns is dogcrap. I think he could pull it together.
    You have a funny way of showing it.
    But defending this season of his is next to impossible.
    So beat up on him instead?

I'll pass, the guy is playing the best RF I've seen from a Red all year, in my book that counts for something.

I don't know about everyone else but I see the same player that got demoted in June. Except now his status in the eyes of other GMs is lower.
    I don't agree. He's playing way better defense which to me is a good indicator of his overall ability to contribute. I believe his hitting will pick up as well.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You have a funny way of showing it.

So beat up on him instead?

I'll pass, the guy is playing the best RF I've seen from a Red all year, in my book that counts for something.
    Don't take it personally. It's just frustrating to see his talents go to waste. I've reached my breaking point with the guy, and frankly, he's done nothing this year, except play right field well, that fundamentally dissuades my opinion. When he starts consistently mashing into the gaps with authority, then I'll change my mind back. Right now, his game is low-BA-driven Casey-ball. Blech.

Turn Off Ads?