Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 8/24 Game Thread - Reds vs. Nationals

Re: 8/24 Game Thread - Reds vs. Nationals

This one was more about mistakes than lack of talent... boy that was ugly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Let's keep Standridge out of tomorrow's game please.
    They should also get a manager that knows when to pull a pitcher out of the game.

On the bright side, Kearns another nice game, going 2 for 3 with a double and HBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    The Reds always know how to take a great big professional-size dump on momentum.
    Yeah, it seems that no matter how many games they win in a row, they evenyually lose one and lose all momentum.

Don't look now but Kearns has his OPS up to .771, with an August line of .254/.338/.522. Now let's hope he can keep it up and carry it into next season.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-25-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Don't look now but Kearns has his OPS up to .771, with an August line of .271/.358/.543. Now let's hope he can keep it up and carry it into next season.
    I look forward to following Austin's performance next year after he's moved this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    I look forward to following Austin's performance next year after he's moved this winter.
    You think Austin will be dealt? I sort of think Wily Mo will be the one with a new home next season.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    You think Austin will be dealt? I sort of think Wily Mo will be the one with a new home next season.
    I can't help but feel that Kearns is being showcased for a winter deal. If the plan is to trade Pena, sitting him is doing nothing for his trade value.

I can't help but feel that Kearns is being showcased for a winter deal. If the plan is to trade Pena, sitting him is doing nothing for his trade value.
    I'm not sure playing Pena's going to do much for it either. I think they're playing Kearns because he's better.

Pena's already done his circus tricks. Too much time in the big top and he's bound to have a fall.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm not sure playing Pena's going to do much for it either. I think they're playing Kearns because he's better.

Pena's already done his circus tricks. Too much time in the big top and he's bound to have a fall.
    How are we defining "better" these days? Just curious.

And it's interesting you should say that Pena's done his "circus tricks." What would these circus tricks be? The home runs? The .857 OPS? He's almost two years younger than Kearns and has been outperforming Austin for the past two seasons.

What would these circus tricks be?
    Perhaps the worst outfield play since Kevin Mitchell was a Red.

How come everyone always mentions his power and slugging heavy OPS... but nevr the .308 lifetime OB%?

I love his power, but he has to learn to field or get on base to become a GREAT ballplayer, unless eveyone is happy with the Juan Gonzalez career path.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Perhaps the worst outfield play since Kevin Mitchell was a Red.

How come everyone always mentions his power and slugging heavy OPS... but nevr the .308 lifetime OB%?

I love his power, but he has to learn to field or get on base to become a GREAT ballplayer, unless eveyone is happy with the Juan Gonzalez career path.
    Pena is no worse a fielder than Dunn. He just happens to be playing out of position. He's a center fielder.

How come everyone wants to hold Wily Mo up to GREAT standards while Kearns is struggling to reach Kevin Seitzer's career path? Pena is 22 and has shown marked improvement at every stage. However, due to some crazy man-love for Kearns, he's stuck riding the pine while a half-wit like Hal McCoy stares at Kearns and sees Stan Musial. But, I guess we'll all be happy moving Pena for a Bret Tomko-ish prospect and going into next season with Dunn in left, a slow sluggish Griffey in center and Kearns in right. Not sure how that outfield is any better than a Dunn-Pena-Griffey OF. Everyone keeps waiting and waiting and waiting for Kearns to show you half of what Wily Mo has put on display for the past two seasons. Is he perfect? No, but he's going to come a far cry closer to perfect or GREAT than will Kearns, high walk rate or no.

Ryan Church may have suffered a broken toe when he was hit by a pitch in the second inning of last night's 5-3 victory over the Cincinnati Reds. Church remained in the game, but was limping badly. He had the toe drained, but doctors said the toe is likely broken. He is scheduled to have X-rays today. ''It feels terrible,'' he said. So much for Church taking Brad Wilkerson's job from him. Aug. 25 - 10:44 am et - RotoWorld
    The Reds are doing everything they can to help the Nationals not make the playoffs.

Pena is no worse a fielder than Dunn. He just happens to be playing out of position. He's a center fielder.

How come everyone wants to hold Wily Mo up to GREAT standards while Kearns is struggling to reach Kevin Seitzer's career path? Pena is 22 and has shown marked improvement at every stage. However, due to some crazy man-love for Kearns, he's stuck riding the pine while a half-wit like Hal McCoy stares at Kearns and sees Stan Musial. But, I guess we'll all be happy moving Pena for a Bret Tomko-ish prospect and going into next season with Dunn in left, a slow sluggish Griffey in center and Kearns in right. Not sure how that outfield is any better than a Dunn-Pena-Griffey OF. Everyone keeps waiting and waiting and waiting for Kearns to show you half of what Wily Mo has put on display for the past two seasons. Is he perfect? No, but he's going to come a far cry closer to perfect or GREAT than will Kearns, high walk rate or no.
    Well Dunn has nothing to do with Pena's fielding so I'm not concerned with that comparison in fact I never said I would be happy the OF scenario you propose. Pena is also 23, not 22.

I like WMP, but he has some warts, if you don't want to see it that way then so be it.

Learn to take a walk or hit .300 is what I say about Pena's game, oh and learn to field. Even if he's a CF someday those big thighs are going to scream "Corner OF position please"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Well Dunn has nothing to do with Pena's fielding so I'm not concerned with that comparison in fact I never said I would be happy the OF scenario you propose. Pena is also 23, not 22.

I like WMP, but he has some warts, if you don't want to see it that way then so be it.

Learn to take a walk or hit .300 is what I say about Pena's game, oh and learn to field. Even if he's a CF someday those big thighs are going to scream "Corner OF position please"
    Good catch on the age. I do math like Wily Mo does slicing liners in right

Anyway, I'm not arguing he's got warts. Another poster suggested Kearns was getting the PT because he is better than WMP and I just don't believe that to be true.

Turn Off Ads?