Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina strengthening in the Gulf

Re: Hurricane Katrina strengthening in the Gulf

Sandy, you get out of there and take all the family with you. I mean it.

Don't wait until the interstate is clogged, and you know it will be.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

The interstate is already clogged, and I have to wait for the call from my boss. I'm on the "away team" for my company so we can keep servicing our customers in the event of a catastrophe. So, we have a bus scheduled to pick us up at noon tomorrow.

While the call has not definitely been made, we've been advised that we're probably be going.

The rest of my family are leaving too. My dad doesn't want to go, my mom is really scared, so my dad will give in and go. They'll take my grandfather with them.

Alfred can't go, because he's in the communications dept for the school board, but he also works part time for a local TV station. He's going to be in a hotel downtown, interior room, high floor.

BTW, Puffy, Tulane has cancelled classes through Wednesday. Tulane NEVER cancels classes.

Fox News anchor just said this storm could reach Cat 5 before reaching land.

They just showed interstate 10 coming out of New Orleans and it is totally clogged with traffic.

not anymore ... they opened the contraflow lanes about an hour ago, and now both sides are going smoothly. You just have to be sure you're in the correct lane to reach your destination.

Don't forget the Gulf Oil Rigs in the Gulf will take direct hits and the Oil Refineries in Louisanana/Mississippi going to get it too. Buy your gas now.

You guys and gals be careful down there. And SandyD, no job is worth the risks your taking by staying. I wish you and Alfred would get out now.

EDIT: I forgot to include Alfred. Ooops.
    Last edited by Reds Nd2; 08-27-2005 at 06:41 PM.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

About 3 years ago, they were really afraid of a scenario just like this New Orleans when I was living down there. The hurricane then (cannot remember for the life of me what the name was) took a more westward course and ended up hitting more mid-state than near New Orleans. The university administration was telling us, however, that if there was a dead-on hit from a Cat-4 they would likely just end up telling us not to bother coming back to school until the next semester.

I still have a lot of friends down there, and I'm just hoping at this point that the storm veers sharply between now and landfall and misses the city.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

CE, back in the late 70s and early 80s we had a series of 100-year flood events. One of them hit during finals week. I met someone who said he was a student at Tulane for that one ... and he said there was 3-4 ft of water in the streets around campus and his apt. He couldn't get anyone on the phone, so he swam to campus, took his final, and swam back home again.

Hurricane Betsy story: there were reports of bodies floating on Canal St. Only they were mannekins from the department store windows.

Betsy was 40 years ago, less two weeks. Over 80 people died, many when the levee broke and the water from the river rushed in.

I'm sure I'll be on the bus tomorrow at noon ... unless the storm track makes a drastic shift. Alfred, unfortunately, is staying behind. A lot of people will. Some can't leave ... no transportation ... no money. Police officers, firemen, hospital workers, etc all have to stay behind. So do most people who work for the media. The radio and TV news crews are essential to keeping us informed and prepared. They will stay on the air as long as they can. Alfred will be working with them.

But they are put up in highrise hotels, and should be safe from the initial storm.

Still hoping for a shift, but packing and getting ready to leave.

Imagine packing your entire life in a suitcase and overnight bag. If the worst case occurs ... that's all I'll have.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    And SandyD, no job is worth the risks your taking by staying. I wish you and Alfred would get out now.
    Agree wholeheartedly, id get the heck out of there.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It ticks me off to no end that you're staying awaiting your company's instructions. It's just wrong.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

There's staying and there's staying ... the only reason I've been waiting is because the boss doesn't want to make the decision ... the final answer ... and find out the storm is going somewhere way far away, and we're expecting sunshine on Monday.

The exact point of landfall is very, very difficult to predict this far out.

Just got the call, though. We're leaving at 10am tomorrow.

Be safe Sandy
    Go Gators!

The last I saw is that it's making landfall again at 7:00 a.m. (That was earlier today.)

That ticks me off.

It really isn't up to your boss.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Don't forget the Gulf Oil Rigs in the Gulf will take direct hits and the Oil Refineries in Louisanana/Mississippi going to get it too. Buy your gas now.
    I normally don't day trade but I am going to buy about $5,000 in oil stocks on Monday morning. It should be worth about $6,500 by the end of the week.

"Hardball" on MSNBC had the CEO of BP as a guest on Thursday night. he said the daily demand for oil is 87 million barrels of oil and the production is 85 million a day, thus the spike in prices. The hurricane will only make it worse.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?