Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cheers" vs. "Seinfeld"

Re: "Cheers" vs. "Seinfeld"

Back before television they had sitcoms on radio. Jack Benny, Burns & Allen, Amos & Andy, etc. Those shows had to rely on the listener's imagination to get laughs. Cheers was a show that with a few tweaks to the script could have been a radio show. There weren't a lot of sight gags on that show. The comedy was in the dialogue. Sam & Diane's repartee, Carla's insults, Norm's entrance, Cliff's blathering, Coach's "confusion" all didn't need props or the viewer being able to see what was going on to get a laugh. However I think Seinfeld was a slightly better show. We've all experienced the nuances of every day life that they built episodes around like who's a "close talker", wondering if a well endowed girl is "real", seeing the movie instead of reading the book, being less than honest with women in order for them to go out with you, crazy friends like Kramer, forgetting a date's name. Most of the plots on Cheers were standard sitcom plots but the writing made the show stand out. Seinfeld wouldn't hold up as good if it were a radio show since it would lose most of Kramer's appeal among other things. But I think Seinfeld was a better show because we could relate to it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    But I think Seinfeld was a better show because we could relate to it better.
    Exactly. They took everyday nuances that we all have experienced at one time or another (and we either blew them off or it wasn't something we'd want to admit to or talk about in public), and made some hilarious shows out of them.

As I watch them, it's almost as if I'm laughing at myself and some of the very same situations I've experienced over time.

Larry Charles, teamed up with Jerry Seinfeld, made one heck of a wriitng team.

Cheers was a good show. But I have a hard time trying to recall any of my favorite episodes from that series. But with Seinfeld, that is another story. Cheers and it's characters were very predictable, and you almost knew what to expect out them. Not so with the Seinfeld characters.

Just mention a topic or use one of the many expressions/phrases from Seinfeld, and that particular episode comes to mind and you start laughing all over again...

Kenny Rogers chicken
    master of Your domain
    relationship and independent George
    I WAS IN THE POOL!
    She has man hands
    NO SOUP FOR YOU!
    Vandelay Industries
    The Bro
    Festivus

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

IMO, Seinfeld was a bunch of one-liners thrown together and delivered by shallow characters I couldn't stand. It was like watching cardboard cutouts with a laugh track.

Cheers, while not my favorite, at least had a coherent plot and some character depth.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Kenny Rogers chicken
    master of Your domain
    relationship and independent George
    I WAS IN THE POOL!
    She has man hands
    NO SOUP FOR YOU!
    Vandelay Industries
    The Bro
    Festivus

Should also include:

***man (Kramer gets proctologists license plates)
    "No sex louise" George becomes a genius because he is not preoccuppied with sex
    "Sponge Worthy"

I can't think of a single Cheers episode like that but I do have the final show on VHS, go figure.

Larry Charles, teamed up with Jerry Seinfeld, made one heck of a wriitng team.
    Actually it was Larry David. Glen and Les Charles were the producers of Cheers.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

i was a fan of Cheers from the start...loved the show and never thought anything could surpass it.
    then Seinfeld came along. i guess one way to appreciate both shows is to have followed them from beginning to end. i did so with both, and my appreciation for both grew as those shows grew.
    got to the point where i scheduled my life around those shows - i made sure i was not at work, not with friends...nowhere but at home just to watch those two shows. the only other show i can say this about is The Simpsons.
    But even though Cheers had its great moments...i honestly don't remember many of them.
    however, i do remember almost every line in the episode in which George pretended to be an ocean biologist.
    I remember every line from the "Serenety Now" episode.
    How can i EVER forget Festivus?
    I can remember almost every one of Kramer's business ventures - or at least ideas - including Kramerica Enterprises and his intern. "Hellllloooooooooooooooooo."
    i still chuckle when thinking of lines here and there from the Schindler's List episode.
    and who the heck could ever forget Wilford Brimley as the Post Master General.

what a show. what a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Actually it was Larry David. Glen and Les Charles were the producers of Cheers.
    You're right. I get my Larry's mixed up. But Larry Charles also wrote for Seinfeld - 18 episodes from 1991-1994
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Seinfeld gets my vote in a runaway, but when the dust all settles, Curb Your Enthusiasm may triumph over all other shows....Season premiere on September 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Seinfeld gets my vote in a runaway, but when the dust all settles, Curb Your Enthusiasm may triumph over all other shows....Season premiere on September 25th
    I agree. I've seen the first 4 seasons and I think it may be even funnier than Seinfeld (as if I even thought that was possible). If it keeps going strong for another 3-4 seasons it may become the new standard.

Post To Contact

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Blimpie, you're a good man, not only a UK guy but Curb fan as well. It's my single favorite show on the air now. I've been looking VERY forward to season five... it's been well over a year since the last new episode aired! Just a week-and-a-half or so!

I like both, but Seinfeld is by far the funnier show. I think the funniest ever. Not sure if Cheers makes the top 10.

if it wasn't for Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dryfess, that could have been a good show.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I love watching the "behind the scene" interviews on the Seinfeld DVDs. Alot of good insight into what went on.

I think both of these shows characters played off each other very well. With Seinfeld, Jerry didn't have to be the center of the entire show. he had no problem at all, as those other characters developed, in sharing the limelight with them.

Just watched the one with Keith Hernandez and the "magic lugey" Kennedy assasination analogy. Good stuff

Elaine: They always put the worst players at 1B
    Keith: Elaine, you don't know anything about 1B
    Elaine: Maybe. But I know something about GETTING to 1B. And you're not
    Keith: Around eleven o'clock I'll not only get to 1b, but will be rounding 3rd
    Elaine: Well don't look now, but that 3rd base coach is not waving you in

Couldn't they have thrown in a steady girlfriend for George or something? EDGE: Even.
    hello? George was engaged to Susan for an entire season. And it was one of the best transitions of a single guy to a couple ever. George trying to get out of the marriage was hillarious, although it was pretty dumb how the writers eventually gave Susan the boot.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

You're right. I get my Larry's mixed up. But Larry Charles also wrote for Seinfeld - 18 episodes from 1991-1994
    "Bulk of the series, Dude."

Turn Off Ads?