Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Cheers" vs. "Seinfeld"

Re: "Cheers" vs. "Seinfeld"

I thought Woody did a great job taking over for Coach. But the show really lost something when Shelly Long left.

Seinfeld was Seinfeld - great show, more water-cooler.

I would probably watch a rerun of Seinfeld over Cheers if both were on but I would probably list Cheers higher on my all time list then Seinfeld, if that makes sense.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I thought Woody did a great job taking over for Coach. But the show really lost something when Shelly Long left.
    She was a great heel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I liked Taxi better then Cheers. Now that was a cast of characters.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Supreme Jar Opener

I hate Larry David and all that he stands for... which is apparently nothing...

I like crime shows myself... can I pick Hill Street Blues for 1000, Alex?

I found Cheers to be a bore. Seinfeld I could watch for hours and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    MASH was a great deal more successful after Trapper, Henry and Frank left. It got better reviews and better ratings. Now whether it was funnier or not is another issue.
    I liked Frank Burns far better then Charles Emerson Winchester the 3rd. BJ Honeycutt was a capable replacement for Trapper. And I'd say the same for Col. Potter versus Henry Blake. But I still preferred the original cast far better.

And it was also around that time the Hotlips character, due to Switt's involvement, started to change also. If one will notice, she was starting to be called Margaret far more then Hotlips, until Hotlips pretty much disappeared.

And it took Radar's departure to finally get Klinger out of that dress.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I always loved Seinfeld, but I'd have to pick Cheers as my favorite of the two.

The Sam and Diane dynamic was classic. The writing was some of the best stuff ever on TV. The characters were classics. Cliff, Norm, Coach, Carla, Woody, Frasier Crane....

Not knockin' Seinfeld. But I liked Cheers better.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Kenny Rogers chicken
    master of Your domain
    relationship and independent George
    I WAS IN THE POOL!
    She has man hands
    NO SOUP FOR YOU!
    Vandelay Industries
    The Bro
    Festivus

Sponge worthy!

Both shows had their place and time.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Sponge worthy!

Both shows had their place and time.
    Yes they do. I'm still waiting for WKRC to come out on DVD.

But I loved George (who was Larry David in real life). It was rfs who really brought my attention to Curb Your Enthusiasm. I'm starting to collect the series.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yes they do. I'm still waiting for WKRC to come out on DVD.

Wait a minute. There's a show about another radio station in Cincinnati? :
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Wait a minute. There's a show about another radio station in Cincinnati? :
    Yeah, but it wasn't as popular as WKRP.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

"Seinfeld" will go down in TV history as a microcosm of American culture in the mid-late 90's: sarcastic, self-absorbed, slightly smug, and lacking a fundamental compassion for anything outside the 6 inches in front of its face.

Was it a funny show? It absolutely was; but I agree with whoever said that it isn't going to age well at all.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I liked Seinfeld at the beginning, but it became way too meta for me in later years. At the beginning, it was a "show about nothing" and it was exactly that -- waiting in line, trying to find your car -- and it was brilliant. In later seasons it became a show about itself. The bread guy, the soup nazi, the envelope-licking fiancee -- dude, whatever. I thought it was boring. It was a bunch of inside jokes, and the piont of inside jokes is that they're, you know, inside. It was very, very full of itself at that time. That's awful for comedy.

I liked Cheers, I guess, I think it's a better-developed show and more poignant. Honeslty I'd say Frasier is better than either of them. Maybe that's sacreligious but I guess there's no accounting for taste.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I thought Frasier was very well-done and "underrated" IMO. And just since this thread was brought back up, I will vote once again strongly for Cheers.

As vp says, its according to your tastes. But I would turn on a Cheers re-run over Seinfeld 10x out of 10.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Seinfeld is my all-time favorite. I liked Cheers too but I actually find it difficult to watch the reruns now. Not so with Seinfeld.

Jerry has said that their motto while making Seinfeld was "No hugging, no learning." I love that.
    I feel the same way. What I loved about Seinfeld was that you never had any of those "Next, on a Very Special...." episodes. I watch my favorite sitcoms for the humor and entertainment, so I hate it when they lecture. Plus, there are just so many unique Seinfeld episodes that someone can just mention a phrase from the episode and it immediate conjures up the episode in my mind.

While Cheers had memorable characters, most of the plots were pretty standard sitcom fare. The two most memorable lines from Cheers that I can think of are Cliff's Jeopardy answer "Who are people who have not been in my kitchen?" and Norm's "It's a dog-eat-dog world and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear." But other than that, I just remember the characters and overall gist of the show, but can't recall many individual episodes.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?