Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Game Thread 9-23-05 Reds vs Phils

Re: Game Thread 9-23-05 Reds vs Phils

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    No playoffs in a decade, only one reall sniff of them in that time.
    ... we have been sniffing something, I think most fans are tired of the stench.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    If he trades Dunn that is about all he will get. Dunn is no longer cheap and that severely limits the trade market and his trade value.

I really have no clue what DanO will do, however, I am confident in his ability to screw it up. Looking at his track record there is certainly no reason for optimism.
    There are about 10 teams who could easily afford Dunn. I think DanO's going to want to nab a starter by looking more clever than the next guy. Heilman's the kind of fool's gold that he'd fall for as starting material.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    ... we have been sniffing something, I think most fans are tired of the stench.
    You got that right pal.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    There are about 10 teams who could easily afford Dunn.
    That is true but I think the market will be much smaller. What drives up the price is having multiple bidders, which I think will be lacking. OFs are an undervalued commodity in the trade market, especially expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    My forgivings on the bad remark, but acting self-rightous can get you in trouble in M2, lessen Steel better learn as well when things happen that don't support your bias.
    I'm not too familiar with your posts, but I don't recall you posting anything here too irrational. In other words, I can't remember any of the regulars being too over-the-top stubborn here lately.

Just a bad night tonight?
    "Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!"

Weathers has been overused and he was due for a "return" to career norms type streak, he had been much to hot in Augest. You can cry about the rotation all you want, but even during the glory days of the 99-03 bullpen, what happened to the BP through the season, they wore out.

M2, was crying like a baby over gamethreads of a dead team that is just playing out the string because DanO plays caretaker for another year while the sale goes down. Dunn getting traded? Not a chance. DanO has little trade power. If anything, Lindner will give him another chance in the FA market to boost value and his reputation. You better hope for better than we got this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski
    As I type this: posts 156 and page views 1344...kinda normal.
    My expectation was that the reaction would only be temporary. Like I said way back on the first page, that announcement seemed to have kicked the wind out of Redszone. That's not a permanent condition. Unlike the guy I was jawing with, I don't think fans have abandoned the team. I think they were left a little dumbfounded is all.

Through three innings today this thread was comatose. Then we get a little feisty, the Reds score a pile of runs on some massive homers, lose thanks to some equally massive homers and, voila, you've got your normal game thread. Does this mark a return to normalcy, where a big, active board gets involved in the game threads? It might though it's too early to say if people have finished swallowing all of that horse pill.
    Last edited by M2; 09-24-2005 at 12:00 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Just got back from the game.... Oh well, no use crying over a lost season. I won't go back and read the thread, it was depressing enough in person. Did see some great HRs [but didn't like the last two :thumbdown ].

Will be going tomorrow night and Sunday. Milton pitching tomorrow - what will be the final tally on HRs given up I wonder??? :
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

M2, was crying like a baby over gamethreads of a dead team that is just playing out the string because DanO plays caretaker for another year while the sale goes down.
    All I did was comment on the rather obvious fact that this board got knocked back on its heels a bit by the DanO announcement. Once again, you asked for proof. It was laid out for you in plain, unmistakable terms.

That it doesn't jibe with your defeatist attitude ain't my problem.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Just got back from the game.... Oh well, no use crying over a lost season. I won't go back and read the thread, it was depressing enough in person. Did see some great HRs [but didn't like the last two :thumbdown ].

Will be going tomorrow night and Sunday. Milton pitching tomorrow - what will be the final tally on HRs given up I wonder??? :
    Tonight was my last game of the season in person, but I wanted to make sure I got down there tonight since I'm tied up tomorrow and Sunday. But geeze, you're not kidding about depressing. I think the top of the 9th was the second worst inning of this entire season, behind only Graves' infamous blowup against St. Louis, and it sort of symbolized our entire season.

One more win in person this season was all I asked for ... but ...
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    This one hurt the Astros more than it did the Reds.
    Thank You.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

My forgivings on the bad remark, but acting self-rightous can get you in trouble in M2, lessen Steel better learn as well when things happen that don't support your bias.
    You've backed lame horses all year. You're the chief Dan O'Brien apologist on the board. You say inaccurate things like the following all the time:

Weathers has been overused...
    David Weathers 1998-2005:

1998- 110.0 Innings Pitched
    1999- 93.0 IP
    2000- 76.1 IP
    2001- 86.0 IP
    2002- 77.1 IP
    2003- 87.2 IP
    2004- 82.1 IP
    2005- 75.2 IP

David Weathers hasn't pitched so few Innings since 1997 (19 games). In fact, while healthy, 2005 represents the fewest Innings Pitched David Weathers has ever recorded as a reliever. If you want lessons on bias, you'll want to look at your own behavior of finding completely illogical things to say in order to attempt to wash away poor performance. And yes, extends to your incoherent backing of ridiculously bad Front Office machinations.

In short, you reside in an exceptionally brittle glass house, Aronchis. Don't think that your bias isn't absolute and blindingly evident. It's also led you down paths you can't see and caused you to argue points you can't support all season long. Knock off the stone throwing.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

If you think we are depressed as fans, think about how the team must feel. More often than not, the offense has held up its end in 2005. More often than not, the pitching has not. I am so damned sick of not having adequate pitching!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Kearns went 3-4 with 4 runs tonight.

Since Aug. 15 he is hitting .257/.377/.540, with 8 HR and 28 RBI in only 32 games (thats 40 HR and 140 RBI over a full season). His average is a little low, but the more important categories of OBP and SLG are good.

I'm still hanging on a few possible bright spots for 2006; one of them is the resurgence of Austin Kearns.
    "Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!"

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    If you think we are depressed as fans, think about how the team must feel. More often than not, the offense has held up its end in 2005. More often than not, the pitching has not. I am so damned sick of not having adequate pitching!
    That's the RedsZone quote of the year TB. I'm damned sick of it too, but Allen's comment that DanO has done a good job means more Miltons and Webers and less pitching.

Wonder when cheap ever means good? Just asking.

One more thing. What ever possesed Narron to stay with Weathers? He had nothing. I'll nver understand the mindset of managers who throw a guy out there just because (many words can be put here..."he's our closer," or "he's be rock solid this year," or "he takes my laundry to the cleaners") and stays with him until it's too late. What gives.

If ever I rooted for Narron to get another contract, that ended tonight. sure, the game meant nothing to the Reds, but it was a dad gum ball game. You don't go out to lose especially after a comeback like that.

Shameful.

And Narron in my world is a dead man walking.

My fireproof suit is on so flame away.

Just inexcusable. I may not sleep tonight thinking about this. How in hades do you let a guy give up five runs to lose? We've seen it from nearly every manager we've had here in the last few years, but why? Why?

I'd have fired the SOB at the completion of the game. Yes, i'm George Steinberger only I'm worse.

And Tracy Jones can kiss me where the sun don't shine. His shameless politicking for Narron to get the permanent job is second only to his politicking for Miley to keep his job.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 09-24-2005 at 02:53 AM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?