Thread: Game Thread 9-23-05 Reds vs Phils

Re: Game Thread 9-23-05 Reds vs Phils

We're a headline story on espn.com

I know I'm proud
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan

sure, the game meant nothing to the Reds, but it was a dad gum ball game.
    I heard Hal McCoy and Marty saying the same thing, and it made me angry, because I bet it still means something to our Reds to finish the season strong. As weird as it may seem, I firmly believe they still have some pride... as a team and as men.

I'm not ragging on you WVRF because I agree with your post. I just don't like that phrase.... not because you said it, but because everyone says it when a team is out of the hunt.

I'm in a bad mood... sorry.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Please get a real closer this offseason - Weathers is too shaky

Thanks.
    Regardless of what happened last night, the Reds need an elite closer about as much as they need another OFer. What good is a real closer going to do with the rest of the pitching staff the way it is? Save 20 games? Weathers could do that. Coffey, Belisle, Shackleford and Mercker could all do that. This is what they mean by saves being overrated. It's not fun to see a save blown like that but it happens from time to time. This season wasn't lost because Weathers has blown the last 3 of 4 save opportunities - or however many he's blown - it was lost when Wilson, Ortiz and Milton started serving up gopher balls on a regular basis. Graves sucked but he was a convenient scapegoat. All the baseball people said last off season how the Reds needed to fix the bullpen. About the only thing they did to fix it was bring in Weathers and Mercker. The rotation needed to be fixed more than the bullpen did. Same goes this offseason. If the Reds are serious about contending, they cannot stand pat. They can't rely on Wilson to come back. Even if Ortiz is re-signed they surely can't rely on him to be any good. Same with Milton. If they don't re-sign Ortiz, you can't rely on Josh Hancock or Matt Belisle. They will probably be better than Ortiz but at best they are going to go through some rough outings. I'd be satisfied if they said that they were just going to stand pat and try to develop the young guys rather than blow a big wad of money on another Milton or a closer who may save a few more games than our current bunch.

I'm not saying that these guys are always right but some of the posters on here (M2, Steel, WOY, Chili, etc.) have been pretty darn accurate in their evaluations of the front office transactions - drafts, trades, free agent pickups, etc - over the past few years. Rarely have they missed the mark by a lot with their evaluations. They are right a helluva lot more than they are wrong which is more than I can say for DanO and company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I heard Hal McCoy and Marty saying the same thing, and it made me angry, because I bet it still means something to our Reds to finish the season strong. As weird as it may seem, I firmly believe they still have some pride... as a team and as men.

I'm not ragging on you WVRF because I agree with your post. I just don't like that phrase.... not because you said it, but because everyone says it when a team is out of the hunt.

I'm in a bad mood... sorry.
    NO, I agree with you. I'm in a pretty bad mood too. And it was worse last night. I do think it means something to the players, but you have to wonder what it meant to Narron for him to leave a guy with nothing in the game and watch him allow 5 runs. I would have pulled him after it got to 10-9, but these modern managers...they drive me nuts with their closer mentality
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 09-24-2005 at 04:52 PM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by capndees

I'm still hanging on a few possible bright spots for 2006; one of them is the resurgence of Austin Kearns.
    We say this every year. And I used to agree with this thinking. The guy, for whatever reason, just can't seem to adjust to the rigors of 162 games.

Dunn's fizzle the last 30 days is probably another incarnation of poor conditioning and wearing down.

Fewer pizzas and some teammates like A-Rod could probably shame some mojo into these guys.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Dunn's fizzle the last 30 days is probably another incarnation of poor conditioning and wearing down.

Dunn has yet to have a good September, Joe Morgan either.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Dunn has yet to have a good September, Joe Morgan either.
    With the crap pitching the Reds have faced the last 30 days, there's really no reason for his struggles this September. More raw carrots, fewer platesful of Hamburger Helper.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    With the crap pitching the Reds have faced the last 30 days, there's really no reason for his struggles this September. More raw carrots, fewer platesful of Hamburger Helper.
    That's a legit complaint. Dunn puts a lot of energy into being a good baseball player and he needs to match that with a similar drive to be a better athlete.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?