Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Where are the jobs at in Ohio?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Where are the jobs at in Ohio?

I'm getting the impression on here that Portland is becoming "Cincinnati West."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Actually, I haven't found the job market in Portland all that tough, despite having no concrete marketable skills (besides an MBA). Most of my in-depth expertise doesn't help either (no one knows who Luke Hudson or Chris Denorfia are out here). I didn't get the first job I interviewed for, but then got offers on the next two and I've been told I'm supposed to be tendered one from Tektronix should I make it through interview #19345A next week.

This may create a problem since I already accepted one offer, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Tektronix
    Best O-scopes out there IMO.

Not sure how they are as an employer, but they make good stuff.
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-20-2005 at 12:33 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Actually, I haven't found the job market in Portland all that tough, despite having no concrete marketable skills (besides an MBA). Most of my in-depth expertise doesn't help either (no one knows who Luke Hudson or Chris Denorfia are out here). I didn't get the first job I interviewed for, but then got offers on the next two and I've been told I'm supposed to be tendered one from Tektronix should I make it through interview #19345A next week.

This may create a problem since I already accepted one offer, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    Well, a MBA is a marketable thing from what I can tell, other than that I don't have much to offer specifically on Portlands job market, all my information is second hand as I've never looked for a job here. In general, I think if you are open to operational or sales/marketing type job you might have an easier time of it than if you are technical/creative side type. That is purely observational but it does seem that for "creative" type jobs (graphic/web designers) there is a huge glut of folks driving the salaries and opportunities down and that on the technical side many companies either want you to have very specific skills or to be a "jack of all trades" to such an extent that it is virtually impossible.
    Last edited by pedro; 10-20-2005 at 12:41 PM.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Not a bad problem to have Doc. Good luck.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Update:

Still haven't found a new job, and my current job is getting more and more unbearable, but at least I've gotten a couple callbacks over the last week thanks to the resume that SunDeck helped me put together (much thanks by the way, you are a gentleman and a scholar).

Here's the upsetting part though. I decided to go to a different Office Team office with this new resume and try my luck. Was told the same thing there, that my office experience was almost six years ago and because of that, they couldn't help me.

My friend Kerri, who has never had any office experience, just two college business office classes went in there and they found her a job right away. Very upsetting...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

goingpostal111

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    My friend Kerri, who has never had any office experience, just two college business office classes went in there and they found her a job right away. Very upsetting...
    And what does Kerri look like?

To be perfectly honest, I'd call them on that. I know there's some kind of office that handles unfair hiring/firing practices, but it won't come to mind.

Someone, help me out here... and when they do, Sava, call this agency. Better yet, go see them and report this.

While you're at it, ask them why office experience beyond "right now" is not acceptable. It's not exactly something that you forget, unless their concern is up-to-date computer skills, though I'm sure you listed the software/programs that you're familiar with on your resume.

Regardless, women do this all the time... leave the office work force to stay home with their children until they're in school. I've never known one to have a problem upon re-entry.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Kerri is a fairly attractive, blonde 25 year old female.

I'm also wondering if I'm not being blacklisted because my current company is quickly becoming notorious for hiring some of the worst people around. I'm one of probably about five out of the roughly 50 in the company who's worth a decent day's pay...and those five of us are probably the worst treated.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

After so many long months with no results, I finally decided to try the temp to hire route. I'd received a lot of rejection letters, and I was tired of it. I knew I could do this type of work, I just had to convince someone else that I could do it. If I had to change the way I played the game, that was fine, whatever it took.

I finally got a call for an interview at Adecco last Friday. I went in and did a pretty good job with the interview portion, and they e-mailed some assessment tests home for me to do. I finished them on Sunday, but hadn't heard back from Adecco.

On Tuesday when I went to work my 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM shift, the office called and said that they had to let some people go and that they were going to need me to stay until 11:00 Wednesday morning...an extra 12 hours than I was originally scheduled! They also informed me that I was going to have to work later on Saturdays now to help cover the shifts that we lost when they decided to fire people.

I finally contacted Adecco yesterday to make sure that they received my assessments. I explained that I was on a slow dial-up computer, and that the clock always loaded before the questions did, and because of that I ran out of time before I was able to complete the tests. They told me that my scores were a little low, but since I had system trouble I could come into the office and retake the tests. We scheduled for me to come in at 10:00 this morning.

I got up early this morning, dressed myself to look professional and was scurrying around looking for my shoes when I noticed a blinking the answering machine. It was Adecco.

This was five minutes before I had to walk out the door, so I immediately called them back. Turns out they had mistakenly put another David's scores in my file. My scores were excellent, and they are going to find me a job as soon as one matches up with my skills. My long personal nightmare is about to end!

Again, thank you so much Sundeck for all your help with my resume. If there is ever anything I can do for you, don't hesitate to ask.

Good to hear Sava
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    On Tuesday when I went to work my 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM shift, the office called and said that they had to let some people go and that they were going to need me to stay until 11:00 Wednesday morning...an extra 12 hours than I was originally scheduled! They also informed me that I was going to have to work later on Saturdays now to help cover the shifts that we lost when they decided to fire people.
    Stupid Lumberg!
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Sava - having worked 4 years in the EMployment Industry, stay in constant contact with Adecco, and don't limit your self to just them. Many times when job orders come in, companies want them filled now, and a coordinator will take the "freshest files - the ones they know are available soon" first to their customer.

Your goal is to always be one of those fresh files.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Again, thank you so much Sundeck for all your help with my resume. If there is ever anything I can do for you, don't hesitate to ask.
    Glad to help out, and relieved that my assistance didn't prolong the search.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

My name is Phil, and I need a new job.

Turn Off Ads?