Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let the Sweet Lou rumors begin....

Re: Let the Sweet Lou rumors begin....

Unless of course, they are looking at it as a quick promotional/marketing campaign to generate interest/season tickets for 06,
    Otherwise known as the Milton Maneuver... that worked out well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the way the new owners are looking at it might be that they see a real good team a few years away. Which is probably right on the money. '07 might be a good year but we need a lot of luck in '06 for that to happen. '08 seems more reasonable but one could argue the playoffs will still be out of reach in that year also. So they are saying that this team is 2-3 years from being good no matter who the manager is. So we need a "stop-gap" for those years that could create some fan interest since there isnt going to be much on the field. And they see it that Lou is going to win more games than Narron no matter how you put it. And will also create a small amount of fan interst in '06 that will not be there with Narron.

That is just my take....i also think it could be very true he was just visiting friends. But the agents words are very interesting to me. Two weeks ago people were calling for major changes no matter what. Now there are rumors (and thats all they are) of changes and they arent good enough. I dont know about you but im all for this just cause it shows change from the past losing seasons. If teams would take notes from the world champions manager and let the guys on the field play. They know what they are doing just let them play and quit tinkering with the line-ups every game cause one of your hitters doesnt hit good on tuesday nights when theres a quarter of the moon in May when theres fireworks after the game. They are Major Leaguers they know whats going on. Maybe Lou isnt the answer but it is change so ill take it. But overall what I want from a manager is a little less managing and a little more babysitting. Keep the guys happy and let them do what they know how to do. Like i said, lou might not be the answer but if thats what we have to get if we want change then ill take and be very happy.

If teams would take notes from the world champions manager and let the guys on the field play. They know what they are doing just let them play and quit tinkering with the line-ups every game cause one of your hitters doesnt hit good on tuesday nights when theres a quarter of the moon in May when theres fireworks after the game.
    Lou Pinella averages 119 different lineups per year, and has topped 120 5 out of the last 6 seasons (before 2005) That's about the norm in MLB.

Exactly my point...like i just said Lou might not be the answer to my "perfect" manager. But ill take change before ill take my "perfect" manager. I would like to see what Guillen averaged. Kinda funny how the man going against the norm is the only one with a ring.
    Last edited by Shaknb8k; 11-15-2005 at 11:26 AM.

The Reds are not as bad off as everyone thinks...a couple of starters?

If we get a couple of quality starters this team can make a push for the wildcard, maybe even the division...I know I am over enthusiastic but that is just me.

By the way, I like Lou but I would not be real excited to see him come in as manager. I believe Narron deserves a chance to work with the team for his contract...at that point make any changes.

I hear George Anderson and a young guy named Lasorda may be available..a young broadcasting superstar is working nicely out in LA, we should see if we can entice him to come this way!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Lou would be great. Not because of his strategic ability, or his clubhouse manner, or his lineups.

Lou will insist on changing the team so it has a chance to win. He left TB because he couldn't stand a team that wouldn't invest in winning. If Lou comes here, he's not about to accept another losing roster.

Someone like Lou is exactly what this team needs. A baseball manager/executive who has the guts to tell the top brass what it has to do to win. Not someone who is just thrilled to have the job. Someone who will insist on changes.

It doesn't have to be Lou. There are obviously others who can bring the same virtue to the table. But right now, you have a front office deciding which minor leaguers to acquire for WMP and which fill-in infielder and old reliever to acquire in free agency. Time for a strong hand.

Why am i picturing George Grande & Lou Pinella on FSN Ohio this year?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Lou would be great. Not because of his strategic ability, or his clubhouse manner, or his lineups.

Lou will insist on changing the team so it has a chance to win. He left TB because he couldn't stand a team that wouldn't invest in winning. If Lou comes here, he's not about to accept another losing roster.

Someone like Lou is exactly what this team needs. A baseball manager/executive who has the guts to tell the top brass what it has to do to win. Not someone who is just thrilled to have the job. Someone who will insist on changes.

It doesn't have to be Lou. There are obviously others who can bring the same virtue to the table. But right now, you have a front office deciding which minor leaguers to acquire for WMP and which fill-in infielder and old reliever to acquire in free agency. Time for a strong hand.
    Great post.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Kinda funny how the man going against the norm is the only one with a ring.
    Casey Stengel platooned more than any manager in the 50's, The Great Eight started a total of 78 games in 75-76. The Red Sox used 141 different lineups in 2004, the second most in baseball and of course went on to win the WS.

BTW Lee Mazzilli of the Orioles used the fewest (104) in 2005, meaning that Ozzie is more normal than you'd think.

But then what is "normal" and what isn't?

I didnt think Guillen used the fewest but im sure he was close to the bottom. I clearly remember an interview after game 4 this year on one of the main news channels when Guillen talked about just letting them play. Guillen said managers today over manage in almost every game. If a pitcher is doing good...then keep him in there. If a batter is hitting well...dont take him out because of a left handed pitcher is pitching. He said he did this because he knew if/when they made the playoffs then they needed to be able to pitch alot of innings to take pressure off the closer and pen and they need to be able to hit all types of pitchers. I dont think anyone can argue that he wasnt right. He also said many managers try and get on sportscenter every night by making there changes and by being front and center. He said he might make a few comments to spark interest in his team but once the playoffs got started he would take a back seat in the media and on the bench and let the players do their thing because they were the reason he got to the playoffs and he wasnt the reason they got there. I agree with him 100% and i really think thats a main reason why hes going into 2006 and trying to defend thier world championship.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I posted this in the other thread, too. Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here? Piniella was the GM of the Yanks for a time. Perhaps he was making his availability known for a future Reds GM opening?

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I posted this in the other thread, too. Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here? Piniella was the GM of the Yanks for a time. Perhaps he was making his availability known for a future Reds GM opening?
    Lou > DanO...works for me

It would be amusing to see this current bunch of Reds confronted with Sweet Lou. Sure, he's probably mellowed some with age, but I bet he hasn't mellowed that much.

I don't think Lou had a good time being GM - IIRC.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'd make the move yesterday.

Pay Jerry since he's under contract for this year, and let him go.

Turn Off Ads?