Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Beer

Re: Favorite Beer

I'm late to a beer thread! Damn! My only excuse is, I was out buying more beer. Since I'm an indiscriminate drinker, My fav beers in order:

1. Any beer at the ballpark
    2. Cold
    3. Free

"...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Ok, I like Warsteiner, Yuengling, and Guinness but am reluctant to pony up the cash for it. Among less costly alternatives I prefer Coors Light on a hot day, and Budweiser or Bud Light any other time.
    Where were you at the last Redszone Gathering? Chip and I would have made you a member of the union. Membership dues are cheap!

While I'm showing my age again, but when I was younger, single, and econonically-challenged, I always bought "longnecks" that came in those returnable cardboard cases w/ the flaps. I wasn't too particular back then either... Hamms, Strohs, Budweiser, Rolling Rock, Schoenling, Hudepohl, Blatz. I stayed clear of Carling Black Label and Pabst though.

Anymore I like to try various microbrewery beers. Plus I have a couple friends that make their own, and have been for quite some time, and it's pretty darn good. It's all in the technic and experience. They make both a light and dark beer, so whenever they make a new "batch" I place an order.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    i'd have to say I have two favs

A former roommate turned me onto Anchor Steam. Been a huge fan ever since. Their Liberty Ale is excellent as well

Kiltlifter is a Phoenix area brewed - a fantastic Scottish Ale. If you ever get a chance to sample it, don't miss out.
    There is a kilt lifter brewed out here in my area at a place called Moylans it is really good and big.
    My favorite beer is the beer that I make in my garage and right now I am enjoying my seasonal pumpkin ale, it's quite tastey. If I had to buy beer I would go with Sierra Nevada or Lagunitas IPA I am quite the hop head.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Mug
    Sweetheart - you don't know what rootbeer is.

You want a good rootbeer that is downright creamy and delicious? Here....

You'll never go back to that over carbonated junk. Even A&W and Frosty is not like it use to be anymore.

It's making a comeback too. I'm starting to find it more and more around Ohio. They are based out of Columbus, Ohio, and you can still get it.

http://www.frostop.com/text/welcome.html
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I gave up drinking....

in bed. I like Schlitz; it's good with hot dogs.
    Always gave me the Schlitzs.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    that cherry wheat sammy adams is real good stuff. i drink the boston lager mostly. my fav is a beer i discovered in cooperstown,ny. michael shea's pub style lager. i can't find it anymore around here.
    Go to Jungle Jim's on Route 4 right down the road from you. If someone brews it they probably have it. I bought some Michael Shea's there last month...decent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Go to Jungle Jim's on Route 4 right down the road from you. If someone brews it they probably have it. I bought some Michael Shea's there last month...decent stuff.
    That's one neat store.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    that cherry wheat sammy adams is real good stuff. i drink the boston lager mostly. my fav is a beer i discovered in cooperstown,ny. michael shea's pub style lager. i can't find it anymore around here.
    Michael Sheas is made by High Falls (I think thats what they call it) - the "high end" name for Genessee Brewery - Rochester, NY.

If you went to college in Western-Central, NY you probably woke up after a night of drinking Genny Cream Ale with a case of the Genny Screamers.

Micahel Sheas is good stuff though.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    For some reason, when you typed this I immediately thought of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

But apparently, Wikipedia tells me that Pabst is cool again, at least among the "retro hipsters"
    I was drinking PBR pretty regularly in law school because a) you could get a case of bottles at the Wasson Avenue drive-in for $12, and b) they had pints of it at R.P. McMurphy's in Oakley for $1.50, and I lived half a mile away.

For my taste, nothing beats a smooth pint of Guinness, but it seems like the quality of brew you get varies widely geographically and among bars (and maybe I just bought into the hype, but it does seem to taste better in Ireland, and it also seems to taste better in Irish pubs in the States--I have no earthly idea why.)

When I lived in Britain, I was obsessed with Tetley's, which you can also get at the Pub in Rookwood and at Nicholson's downtown. If you like bitters, try a pint sometime, you won't regret it. I found the most popular European beers, like Stella Artois, Heineken and Kronenbourg to be somewhat overrated.

I don't know a whole lot about Microbrews, but two regional breweries that produce a uniformly good beer are New Belgium (Fat Tire, etc. from Fort Collins, Colorado) and Great Lakes Brewing. The many varieties of Christian Moerlein are also fabulous, and you can eat an enormous German meal in a mansion owned by the brewer's family in Cincinnati (Lenhardt's Restaurant on McMillan near UC).

Despite all the above, if I had to drink only one beer for the rest of my life (and obviously I mean an unlimited supply of one type of beer, not one beer period, I'd have to kill myself) it would be Pilsner Urquell.
    Last edited by dsmith421; 12-12-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Despite all the above, if I had to drink only one beer for the rest of my life (and obviously I mean an unlimited supply of one type of beer, not one beer period, I'd have to kill myself) it would be Pilsner Urquell.
    In all seriousness, I agree completely.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The many varieties of Christian Moerlein are also fabulous, and you can eat an enormous German meal in the brewer's old house in Cincinnati (Lenhardt's Restaurant on McMillan near UC).

Wow! I never knew that. Thanks for that tidbit.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

If you haven't been there, I highly recommend paying a visit to the Czech Republic. Travel around Bohemia and try some of the local brews. Towns like Pilsen and Cesky Budovice (Budweis) are great places to throw down a few beers. And Prague has a couple of good local breweries as well.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Wow! I never knew that. Thanks for that tidbit.
    Ack! My recollection was somewhat flawed:

"The restaurant's history is intriguing. Here's the short version: Some Lenhardts came to America from Yugoslavia in the 1950s and opened a restaurant. In 1965, the restaurant moved to 151 W. McMillan, formerly the Moerlein mansion, where it's been ever since. The mansion has a colorful past. Built as a wedding present for beer-maker Christian Moerlein's daughter (sure beats a blender), the house later did time as a doctor's office, an army barracks, a fraternity house and a private club. The original Lenhardts' granddaughter, Christine Windholtz, is now driving the business, bringing third-generation savvy to the operation by opening an underground rathskeller -- called Christy's in 1991 -- and a beer garden in 1998."

http://www.citybeat.com/2005-03-09/diner.shtml
    Last edited by dsmith421; 12-12-2005 at 10:25 PM.

Has anyone tried Bell's from Kalamazoo - I like their Oberon Ale the best ( a summer wheat ale)
    For widely available beer in the upper third, Canadian beer is better and costs the same, with Molson my favorite.
    For European imports, I think Bavarian beer like Paulaner is my favorite.

Cheap beer: Definitely Rolling Rock, hands down, very underated.

Non Cheap Beer: Sam Adams, Red Stripe, Dinkel Acker Pils
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Turn Off Ads?