Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmer’s injury could be ‘career-ending’

Palmer’s injury could be ‘career-ending’

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10826927/from/RS.3/

Palmer’s injury could be ‘career-ending’
    'It’s not just like it was a torn ACL,' doctor says of Bengal QB's knee

Updated: 7:53 p.m. ET Jan. 12, 2006

CINCINNATI - Carson Palmer’s knee injury was “devastating and potentially career-ending,” involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said Thursday.

The Cincinnati Bengals quarterback tore ligaments in his left knee when he was hit by Pittsburgh’s Kimo von Oelhoffen on his first pass during the Steelers’ 31-17 playoff victory Sunday.

The team announced that he had torn the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. The damage was much more extensive and severe, but Dr. Lonnie Paulos said surgery went well and Palmer could be back for the start of the season.

Palmer had surgery Tuesday in Houston. Doctors used grafts from other parts of his body and donated tissue to fix the damage during an operation that lasted more than two hours. Palmer headed back to California on Thursday to do his rehabilitation.

“It’s not just like it was a torn ACL,” Paulos said Thursday, in a phone interview from Houston. “It’s a magnitude more difficult to recover from and repair. It can and has ended careers, without a doubt.

“However, I feel very comfortable with Carson as an athlete and the heart that he’s got. In the end, that’s the bottom line. I can see the look in his eye already. He’s ready to get going.”

Paulos, an orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the U.S. Ski Team since 1983, replaced the anterior cruciate ligament, which runs through the middle of the knee and provides stability. He said the medial collateral ligament, which runs along the side of the knee, was damaged “real bad.”

“On a scale of 1 to 3, it was a 4,” he said. “It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged — shredded is the better term.”

The kneecap dislocated when Palmer was hit, damaging tissue around it. There also was some cartilage damage, he said.

Paulos was able to repair the knee without removing pieces of cartilage or soft tissue, a good sign.

“The things that were torn could be repaired,” he said. “They were not torn beyond repair. So he’s got all his parts in there, which is good. We’re optimistic, actually.”

If rehabilitation goes well, Palmer could be running in a couple of months and might be able to play in the first regular season game, Paulos said. The 2006 schedule hasn’t been set.

Palmer has worn a protective brace on the left knee since he sprained it near the end of the 2004 season. The knee bowed inward on von Oelhoffen’s hit even though Palmer was wearing the brace,

“The brace didn’t function well in this environment and should have done better than it did, frankly,” Paulos said.

The plan is for Palmer to wear more substantial braces on both knees when he returns.

“No brace is perfect,” Paulos said. “No brace can prevent every injury, but they do help.”

Paulos saw the replay of the injury and wasn’t surprised at the extent of the damage it caused. Palmer has absolved von Oelhoffen, saying he didn’t think the lineman was trying to hurt him. The lineman said he was trying to sack Palmer, not injure him. He wasn’t penalized for the hit.

Palmer made the Pro Bowl in only his second season as a starter, throwing an NFL-leading 32 touchdown passes. The club extended his contract through the 2014 season.

Jon Kitna, who has been Palmer’s backup and mentor the last two years, can become a free agent. Palmer’s injury will force the Bengals to make sure they have another reliable quarterback on board.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Palmer’s injury could be ‘career-ending’

Man, I hope, and believe, he will come back from this. Surgery is not really the problem. It's in the recovery time, and getting the individual back to where they were before the injury. That does take time.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

It seems like there are conflicting reports about this. Hopefully the more positive ones are the correct ones.

This report is probably the most accurate because it is coming from the doctor himself. The problem with the previous reports was they were coming from the team or some spokesman. This is the 1st time the doctor himself has talked about it and it does not sound very good.

Honestly, I can't even fathom how awful this must be for you Bengals fans. Damn.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Trying to be optomistic, sometimes MDs set the bar high, so that when a person exceeds the expectations, or are on a path to, they feel more confident and stick to rehab better, etc.

When my son was born, he was 7 weeks premature. They told us he woul dbe in the hospital 6-8 weeks. Talking with a nurse i found out that they always say your target release date (unless they feel it will be longer than that) is the original due date. That way, if you go home early you feel like your child is stronger than he/she should be. If you go home right at that time, its waht was expected and you dont worry too much.

My guy was home in 10 days, but I never told my then wife what the nurse told me. Her buy in to the "stronger than they thought" aspect was important to her nerves.

I dont know, just a thought.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Every ACL surgery could be career ending. Carson will come back and he will be fine.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Every ACL surgery could be career ending. Carson will come back and he will be fine.
    I hope so. He's incredibly fun to watch. I tune in to watch guys like that.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I just worry about him standing in the pocket and planting that front leg to deliver a pass. I guess that will take time. My friend that works for an orthopedic surgeon said not to believe half of what you hear from sports doctors in something like this. Unless it's James Andrews it could very easily be someone looking for exposure and credit for "saving" Carson from such a monstrous injury. I'm not sure that's totally the case, but sounds reasonable.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Retired

I really hope he can come back from this. Palmer is a genuinely nice guy, and about as humble as the come, it would be horrible to end a career this way, especially one with so much potential.

It's all so freaking unbelievable.

This might be the worst week of my life as a sports fan.

Thank goodness the Bengals have a guy like Marvin Lewis at the helm, otherwise, all would be lost.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

It stinks.

POSTED: 6:01 pm EST January 12, 2006
    UPDATED: 7:09 pm EST January 12, 2006

Palmer's Knee Injury Worse Than First Thought
    Three Ligaments Torn; Tendon Dislocated

CINCINNATI -- Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer's knee injury is worse than previously thought, News 5 Sports Director Ken Broo reported.

Dr. Lonnie Paulos, who operated on Palmer in Houston, said the quarterback tore three knee ligaments, not just two, and dislocated his patella tendon, which keeps the knee cap in its proper place.

Paulos thinks Palmer can beat the nine-month goal to get back on the field but admitted that it'll be tricky.

"This is a big deal," he said. "I mean, it's many times a career-ending injury for some athletes. … You can put things back together, but they have to heal and rehab properly."

Palmer will work on rehabilitation in Los Angeles.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/spo...86/detail.html
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 01-12-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Here's Will Carrol's take on it:

Carson Palmer
    Carson Palmer had one of the most heartbreaking injuries in recent history last weekend, blowing up his knee on his very first playoff pass attempt. Palmer clearly had a “Terrible Triad” injury – ACL, MCL, and meniscus – from the first second Kimo von Oelhoffen rolled onto his leg and had surgery Tuesday to repair it. He’ll do his rehab in California and, with Daunte Culpepper coming back from similar problems, it will be a big year to see just how far things have come with ACL surgery. While the initial reports have Palmer coming back for training camp, that’s an aggressive time frame. While players have returned to function in that span, few if any have full explosion and power from the affected leg. The good news, if you can call it that, is that Palmer’s not exactly a threat to run and it’s his front (left) leg rather than the push-off leg. I’ll be surprised if Palmer starts the season, but he’ll likely earn at least some of the first year salary in his big new contract.

So, it looks like the meniscus was also shredded.

Sigh....
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

What I hope they do is take it SLOW, I know it stinks but it might be better to plan for 07 and not rush him back this year.
    Go Gators!

This really sucks.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?