Turn Off Ads?

Thread: "Full House" star talks about meth addiction

"Full House" star talks about meth addiction

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Entertainm...ory?id=1564779

Feb. 1, 2006 — As Stephanie Tanner on the 1990s hit sitcom "Full House," child actress Jodie Sweetin portrayed a young, innocent girl who lived in a happy, healthy supportive home.

"Growing up when I was on the series, I never really watched, even from this day, it's surreal to watch myself on television," said Sweetin. "Growing up in the business you have to grow up very fast — you do have a different type of childhood, that has its benefits and it has its drawbacks."

When the show ended in 1995, she said she wanted to be a normal kid. She went to high school and college and by age 20 was married to a Los Angeles police officer — TV older sister Candice Cameron was in the wedding party.

But two years ago, she found herself dangerously addicted to one of the most debilitating drugs, methamphetamine. She said she was unemployed and bored and began simply by experimenting. Soon, she was using meth everyday.

The tabloid press reported a three-day bender as well as an intervention staged by her "Full House" castmates — including the Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, John Stamos and Bob Saget.

Sweetin, 24, never went as far as to blame her life as a child star for her addiction, but said that it was difficult to discover who she truly was after the show ended.

"There is a certain sense of loss when a series ends," she said. "It is kind of hard to figure out who you are when you've lost your job at age 13, when that was basically how you identified yourself."

Sweetin said she checked herself in to the Promises drug rehab facility where she went underwent six weeks of intense treatment. She realized that she "was living a total double life," she said. "I was married to a police officer — we are going through a divorce right now — he had no idea."

Sweetin has been clean and sober since March of last year and now wants to get back into acting.

"I want to make movies, TV series, wherever the career takes me," she said. "I really hope this isn't the last people hear of me. In fact, I would like to make this a footnote in my career, not the end."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Go Redlegs!!!!

Re: "Full House" star talks about meth addiction

If I had to be that close to Bob Saget for that many years, I'd turn to hard drugs too..
    "Its easy to love a winner like LeafGuard." -Marty Brennaman commenting on the Reds pitching staff.

Re: "Full House" star talks about meth addiction

Isn't she related to one of the kids on "Everybody Loves Raymond"?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?